What specs do I need to fix the stuttering?

ezy

Hardware I currently have: Asrock extreme3 970, 620W antec neo ECO 620c psu, AMD FX-6300, hyperx 8GB dual channel 1866mhz, 7200rpm HDD, AMD R7 260x 2GB

The problem I have is when I move around the map the game stutters, I have tried running the game on low but still get the same effect. I currently use medium settings with SSAO off and I get 45-60fps stable

Can any Dev answer what hardware upgrade would be the most beneficial for me to upgrade to fix the stuttering? Does the map loading use CPU or GPU power to load in the new textures/models ect?

If i upgrade to a rx560 or something with 4gb memory/256bit bus would this fix the problem because my cpu usage is never really high when running the game so thats what im thinking

Thanks and loving the game so far (100hrs in)

First I'd double the RAM and get a good SSD with 3D-NAND. Your HDD is the weakest link, and 8GB is the minimum recommended spec.

I'm not keen on the AMD chipsets, but here's a link to my rig, and I get a damn stable 60 if I cap it there. (Typically I play on 90FPS, and it will occasionally drop into the 60-70 range.)

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?80439-Low-frames-with-1080-TI-less-than-20&p=783638&viewfull=1#post783638

For that test, compared the stock CPU and RAM clocks with my overclock. The difference was pretty impressive. (I was also running with FPS capped at 60.)

Map loading is done using primarily the HDD and CPU, and secondary is RAM for loading the textures. A while ago I did a similar test with RAM usage, and found the average minimum to be about 4.5 and normal to be an average of about 6.5GB. So if you're on a 8GB system, with your OS using 1.5GB of RAM, you're running pretty tight on space when you're moving around. This doesn't even take into account adding overhead from mods, or higher load values from riding a minibike. Doing something like blowing up the hospital in Navezgane will spike the RAM usage up to the 12-20GB range.

Lastly, if you're going to upgrade the GPU, shoot for a minimum of 6GB memory. Future-proof yourself if you're going to be dropping that kind of cash. I would not recommend getting anything less than the equivalent of a GTX1060 6GB GPU unless you really feel like wasting money every year or so on a new GPU. While your current GPU is ceratinly out-dated and an additional crutch on getting a stable FPS, You should be able to get 50-60FPS pretty stable with it once the other sections are taken care of. I played for ages on my system I linked the secs of earlier with a GTX 660 Ti in it just fine.

First I'd double the RAM and get a good SSD with 3D-NAND. Your HDD is the weakest link, and 8GB is the minimum recommended spec.

Sorry SylenThunder, but your obsession with ram is getting a bit crazy here.

This person has a very well balanced system, though outdated of course. Buying parts for it now would just be a waste of money since the cost per reward isn't good at all for today's standards in gaming. My advice would be to run the current system till he / she has had enough with it and when he / she is ready, build / buy a new system. ezy can of course buy a few parts to ease the transition over slowly and affordably though. Like for example, if he / she has the knowledge in building a computer, then buying a new graphics card now allows the option to move it over to the next computer when ready. Same with SSD and power supply if there happens to be any issues with the current one. CPU, Motherboard and Ram are all not worth upgrading one at a time as even the most powerful CPU supported by that motherboard is really slow compared to any of the new Ryzen CPUs or Intel's latest generation, so not at all worth it. Supported ram is DDR3 which is outdated for the new motherboards in production (current is DDR4). So buying all 3 all at once when ready is the best option in my opinion.

Hardware I currently have: Asrock extreme3 970, 620W antec neo ECO 620c psu, AMD FX-6300, hyperx 8GB dual channel 1866mhz, 7200rpm HDD, AMD R7 260x 2GB

The problem I have is when I move around the map the game stutters, I have tried running the game on low but still get the same effect. I currently use medium settings with SSAO off and I get 45-60fps stable

Can any Dev answer what hardware upgrade would be the most beneficial for me to upgrade to fix the stuttering? Does the map loading use CPU or GPU power to load in the new textures/models ect?

If i upgrade to a rx560 or something with 4gb memory/256bit bus would this fix the problem because my cpu usage is never really high when running the game so thats what im thinking

Thanks and loving the game so far (100hrs in)

45 - 60fps stable and getting stutter issues means the hardware might not be the problem.

I present to you... a 3 year old problem that has been completely ignored by the devs:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?25024-Movement-stutter-frame-lag-while-at-60-fps

There's nothing any of us can do about it. Mind you, I will say, the stutters have reduced a bit over the years through bug fixes and minor optimizations, and an SSD did completely fix one of the stutter issues as it's capable of keeping up with the constant reads and writes, but anyone who looks close enough will still see some of them even with the most powerful computer on the market.

I use Medium settings and it uses half size textures so there is plenty of free ram while playing the game for any length of time, I have also tried a SSD but went back to HDD because it made no difference

I would just buy a whole new PC but prices are very high atm due to bitcoin ect and this is the only game I have problems with that im currently playing

45 - 60fps stable and getting stutter issues means the hardware might not be the problem.

I present to you... a 3 year old problem that has been completely ignored by the devs:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?25024-Movement-stutter-frame-lag-while-at-60-fps

This thread pretty much is what I get, no matter what settings or if i have constant 100+ fps on lowest settings the stuttering still happens when loading the new map sections

I do highly recommend moving the game over to SSD if you already have one as it will eliminate one of the stutter issues relating to loading entities. It would also make loading the game and world not take 1/2 hour too. It's the one and only game I find really helps to be on SSD.

• 1 month later...

i have a very similar system, (fx6300, 8gb 1866 ram, hd7850 2gb) but i do have an ssd. i get by with about 30 fps @1080p, watching the data my gpu is pegged at 99-100% while cpu is around 20-40%. ram is up at around 79%. my plan is to upgrade video card and maybe some ram if i can find a deal. video card is the most pressing need, and i dont think more ram will help too much its lifespan is tied to cpu/mb. you know as much as i do that a full system build isnt too far off for both of us, but unless you have the cash to burn or want better than 1080 you should be able to get by for a while with a good card(gtx1060/rx580 or better) and a ssd. for the time being you can turn down textures, view distance, and tree quality as well as disable vsync to pick up some extra fps

and to second fox, this is an alpha game some amount of stutter/lag is gonna come thru no matter what you run it on. dont break the bank trying to fix a software problem with better hardware

If you have any power saving modes enabled, whether for your OS or GPU, turn those off. Power saving mode on your system effectively reduces the GHz rating of your CPU while at less than 100% power, and power saving on your GPU can hinder games similarly because the GPU will get instructions to rest when your screen is still and then have to process a bunch of extra data to get moving again.

Also, while not nearly as good as RAM you can increase your paging file and get a USB 3.0 slot running a 32 or 64 GB flash drive as Readyboost. It's not going to increase your max FPS but it can help to bring up the low-end. I ran the game on an AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD 6550, 8GB RAM @ 1300MHz, 2x HDD(OS=C:, game=D:) and it didn't run FAST but it ran stable.

Archived