Trucks with mobile build space?

Bearcat

Would it be possible to have vehicles that have a small buildable world grid on them?

Since seeing the jeep design, its got me thinking about it. A lot.

My idea is partly to have vehicles that double as your home for players who prefer a nomadic play style as apposed to bunkering down in one place. And partly to have a mobile spawn point when scavenging many miles away from home.

7BC083B455217E22F5902BD6FAECFB2E2EB36C82

Maybe a little pickup with a small space for basic survival supplies,

70C7E12A61653CEB685DCD7B96FDD8D5EB553326

a medium truck for a proper personal mobile base,

51F223017C5EEB4DB9CC259D43DD5EBF9B49A7C7

and a semitruck for a massive war machine for multiplayer faction wars.

B09F19781C24124CEB3E4A7BCA7F3065DD996ADA

I just came to the forums to suggest this and it seems someone already did :). It would take some work to implement, but I think that with some copy-and-pasting of code, the devs could the get vehicle to handle the the blocks placed on them the same way the world handles them. If it worked, we would have awesome customizable vehicles, with deep gameplay decisions. Do you put armor and turrets on your truck to make it a battle machine, fill it with chest to make it a courier, make it a mobile power plant, or put the bare minimum on to make it fast?

Also, if the weight of the blocks put on a jeep varies, it needs to have customizable suspension to compensate.

One last thing, I really like the idea of rightclick your vechice with a wrench to add scrar armor the way you would armor a wooden door.

I had a similar thought just a few days ago while at a trader. Some of the traders can be found in what appears to be a camper trailer. I'd heard of a truck of some kind being added to the game and thought it'd be cool if we could build/loot a trailer hitch for the truck and build a camper to pull behind us.

Oh my.. now this seems like it would be a very fun addition to the game, but the zombies would need some way of countering it. This sounds like a cheap way to beat the day 7 horde, just plow through the main group and drive away.. or better yet just keep driving and never see the horde at all..

I think it could be easily balanced if the flatbeds were slow gas guzzlers when fully loaded and the jeeps had only a few slots to add modifications.

• 5 months later...

Had the same exact idea this week. This would be such an awesome addition to the game! For nomad type players to be able to be on the road but still have a base that moves with them. Would be especially useful in random maps that are huge and where biome types are hard to predict since they are so random.

I really wish something like this eventually gets added, and ideally make it moddable. ;)

Archived