Allosaurus

beardedinlair

I have modded in this guy: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/animals/allosaurus-7477

And he generally works the way I want. I based him on the dino from Runaways, Marvel comics. He's friendly, follows you around, fights for you, and hunts stags for you.

I have a couple of problems. One is persistence. If you leave him behind, far enough that the chunk is disabled I think, he will not be there when you get back. And on exits and reloads, sometimes he is there, and sometimes he isn't.

1. Does this possibly involve the invisible animal code?

2. Is there a way to check entities, and if he doesn't exist, spawn him? I remember there was a spawner mod at one time.

3. Does anyone want this mod?

1 - No, the invisible animal code is literally a tfp hack to prevent too many animal spawns, by introducing a "spawn nothing".

2 - Sort of? You'd need an API mod like BadCo API, then constantly do BC-LE (list entities), but you'd have to write your own hook for spawning one if it isn't there.

3 - It sounds cool, you should release it in the SDX section. =)

The big issue is AI kinda blows right now, but that may be sorted in A17. Also, entities have a 20 minute time out, so if they're "gone" (i.e. despawned with the chunk) for more than 20mins, poof. That's hard coded.

I have modded in this guy: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/animals/allosaurus-7477

And he generally works the way I want. I based him on the dino from Runaways, Marvel comics. He's friendly, follows you around, fights for you, and hunts stags for you.

I have a couple of problems. One is persistence. If you leave him behind, far enough that the chunk is disabled I think, he will not be there when you get back. And on exits and reloads, sometimes he is there, and sometimes he isn't.

1. Does this possibly involve the invisible animal code?

2. Is there a way to check entities, and if he doesn't exist, spawn him? I remember there was a spawner mod at one time.

3. Does anyone want this mod?

Try setting the animation culling type to "always animate". If that doesn't sort it, try checking "update offscreen" on the skinned mesh renderer. Just guessing here, but worth a try.

A17 sounds like it might solve some of this beyond the AI, as their early concept art included 'pets', specifically a pet wolf. Though I've heard little about the progress of that since, so it may not end up making the cut for 17. And of course the progress reports of A17 suggest it is still quite a ways off yet,

A17 sounds like it might solve some of this beyond the AI, as their early concept art included 'pets', specifically a pet wolf. Though I've heard little about the progress of that since, so it may not end up making the cut for 17. And of course the progress reports of A17 suggest it is still quite a ways off yet,

It would be super easy to use this for a wolf pet. Following up on 2, I found that with f6 and the static tab, he stays around a lot better. I think there must be a way to do this with code, like traders.

Maybe a dog whistle? To "summon" him if he gets too far away.

Archived