Nomad Wanderer and Lifestyle Classes Mod

wanderingShadow

I don't have anything significant to add to this thread. I just wanted to say thanks for the work that you've put in. I've been wanting to play 7DTD nomad style, but the game mechanics aren't really bent that way. This mod really helps. I'm still figuring out how the bag system works, but so far so good.

One of the things that I've often disliked about looting is that the doors must be completely annihilated in order to open. I'm often the first to champion gameplay over realism, but the break from reality here is just so stark that I have trouble with it. Do you have plans to or would you consider potentially allowing doors to become unlocked after a certain amount of damage?

... Thinking about it... this might be something that I could mod myself, if it's sort of just my opinion. But, let me know what you think.

I don't have anything significant to add to this thread. I just wanted to say thanks for the work that you've put in. I've been wanting to play 7DTD nomad style, but the game mechanics aren't really bent that way. This mod really helps. I'm still figuring out how the bag system works, but so far so good.

The bags option that I came up with is the best I could do with the limits of the game code. It's not optimal but was the best that I could manage without rewriting code. The bag system is helpful, but I understand how it can be a little confusing to get used to.

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate the feedback even if it's just to see that someone finds it useful. :)

One of the things that I've often disliked about looting is that the doors must be completely annihilated in order to open. I'm often the first to champion gameplay over realism, but the break from reality here is just so stark that I have trouble with it. Do you have plans to or would you consider potentially allowing doors to become unlocked after a certain amount of damage?

... Thinking about it... this might be something that I could mod myself, if it's sort of just my opinion. But, let me know what you think.

I think this would be a good addition also, but since there is no block distinction between locked and unlocked doors I feel it would be very difficult or impossible to do with xml edits alone.

Of course as I'm saying it there are some options that come to mind that may work. I'll look into it and let me know if you come up with anything helpful. I may add it to the mod.

Download: Nomad Wanderer Lifestyle Mod A16.4(b8).1

Updates/changes:

- spawnable NPC Survivor Trader and friendly wolf that will attack zombies and not the player. Meant to be an addition for player interaction and working to add to random spawns. Spawned through console commands or debug menus. Survivor Trader can't be damaged, due to Fun Pimps code limitations. Will despawn when game is exited. Could not use in RWG spawns because Survior Trader will not despawn and could take over all allowed spawns.

- increased loot drop from zombie kills and attemped to make more difficult zombies have better and more relevent loot. With more improvements planned for future versions.

- added iron bar and jail door variants.

- adjusted repair kit cost to reflect recipe cost.

- changed scrapMetalPile to not require tool.

- add craft steel polish.

- simplified shotgun shell crafting with additional recipes.

- increased stack size for several common carry items.

Hi there! I'm enjoying your mod, but I really miss using Working Ovens and Faucets by Pringlz46290. Actually I really miss the working faucets part of that mod more than anything else. :upset: Would you be able to add working sinks to your mod? Or perhaps take a look at WOaF and see if it's compatible with your mod, and advise on how to integrate them so I can use them both? Thanks a million!

Hi there! I'm enjoying your mod, but I really miss using Working Ovens and Faucets by Pringlz46290. Actually I really miss the working faucets part of that mod more than anything else. :upset: Would you be able to add working sinks to your mod? Or perhaps take a look at WOaF and see if it's compatible with your mod, and advise on how to integrate them so I can use them both? Thanks a million!

In the past I had a version of a working oven, but wasn't able to get it balanced well enough to move to this mod. I think that working ovens and faucets should have some kind of cost associated with maintaining them since the fuel is basicly free.

I couldn't find the mod you were referring to. Are you looking for something that just gives free water and cooking fuel or are there other features that make this mod unique.

I'd like to add a working oven and sink as well as a way to pump fuel from a gas pump.

In the past I had a version of a working oven, but wasn't able to get it balanced well enough to move to this mod. I think that working ovens and faucets should have some kind of cost associated with maintaining them since the fuel is basicly free.

I couldn't find the mod you were referring to. Are you looking for something that just gives free water and cooking fuel or are there other features that make this mod unique.

I'd like to add a working oven and sink as well as a way to pump fuel from a gas pump.

The mod I'm referring to is on the Nexus forums, https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/56. This mod is nice because the sinks and ovens in the random POIs have a chance to be working. Ovens have the same interaction as the campfire, and right clicking on a faucet (not the sink) with an empty jar will give bottled murky water.

My husband had an idea that seems quite reasonable to me, and isn't "lore breaking" and is quite realistic, and would require crafting so it's not free. He came up with the idea of using scrap plastic or iron to create a rain barrel. The mesh for the gas barrel could be reused, or a new mesh could be created that looks more like a plastic drum, or 5 gallon bucket, etc. but it should be able to hold more than the water bucket we all ready have in the game. You could either fill it from a lake, or it could fill with water when it rains (I personally don't think that rain collection like that would be possible because I don't think there is a way to trigger it since it seems weather only affects player core temperature). But the point is for it to be able to hold enough water to fill more than one stack of empty jars, but not infinite (I don't know how many jars you can fill from one block of water, do you know by chance?).

In the past, having a water source was easily created by pouring a bucket of water into a hole in the ground. When used, the water didn't deplete, and you could continually get murky water from it. Then it changed so that either 1 jar or a whole stack of jars, it didn't matter, would deplete all the water. I think that defeats the purpose of fetching a pail of water to fill the hole when you can just take your empty jars and fill from the lake if all you're getting is "one shot" at it. It also generally makes a bucket of water pointless unless you're just decorating a base with a pool or keeping a water hole nearby to douse yourself if you catch on fire.

I have also discovered a glitch with the starting quest chain. If I complete the objective Gather Class Gear, but quit the game before completing all the objectives in the quest chain, when I reload the save, it will show the Gather Class Gear as uncompleted, making it impossible to complete the quest and move on.

I have also discovered a glitch with the starting quest chain. If I complete the objective Gather Class Gear, but quit the game before completing all the objectives in the quest chain, when I reload the save, it will show the Gather Class Gear as uncompleted, making it impossible to complete the quest and move on.

This sounds like a Fun Pimps Bug that may be difficult to work around without extensive changes. The easy work around would be to pull one out of the creative menu or delete the quest and move on, as the quest is barely worth completing for the few points you receive and not game breaking. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll look into it.

The mod I'm referring to is on the Nexus forums, https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/56. This mod is nice because the sinks and ovens in the random POIs have a chance to be working. Ovens have the same interaction as the campfire, and right clicking on a faucet (not the sink) with an empty jar will give bottled murky water.

My husband had an idea that seems quite reasonable to me, and isn't "lore breaking" and is quite realistic, and would require crafting so it's not free. He came up with the idea of using scrap plastic or iron to create a rain barrel. The mesh for the gas barrel could be reused, or a new mesh could be created that looks more like a plastic drum, or 5 gallon bucket, etc. but it should be able to hold more than the water bucket we all ready have in the game. You could either fill it from a lake, or it could fill with water when it rains (I personally don't think that rain collection like that would be possible because I don't think there is a way to trigger it since it seems weather only affects player core temperature). But the point is for it to be able to hold enough water to fill more than one stack of empty jars, but not infinite (I don't know how many jars you can fill from one block of water, do you know by chance?).

In the past, having a water source was easily created by pouring a bucket of water into a hole in the ground. When used, the water didn't deplete, and you could continually get murky water from it. Then it changed so that either 1 jar or a whole stack of jars, it didn't matter, would deplete all the water. I think that defeats the purpose of fetching a pail of water to fill the hole when you can just take your empty jars and fill from the lake if all you're getting is "one shot" at it. It also generally makes a bucket of water pointless unless you're just decorating a base with a pool or keeping a water hole nearby to douse yourself if you catch on fire.

I've been working on a version of water barrel that who's recipe would include empty jars and would use the plant growth mechanics to randomly convert it to a container containing filled water bottles. As you said there is no way to monitor the rainfall and use it to fill a block or change it to a bock that would give water.

As for the filling water with faucets, I understand what would go into making this possible. i wuold just need to figure out the specifics and balance to get it done. I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will add this to the list of additions I want to include.

This sounds like a Fun Pimps Bug that may be difficult to work around without extensive changes. The easy work around would be to pull one out of the creative menu or delete the quest and move on, as the quest is barely worth completing for the few points you receive and not game breaking. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll look into it.

I tried pulling one out of the creative menu, but it still didn't register, it just said I was not able to accept this quest at this time. Which does bring up another question - why am I always given two of the pages to read when I can only use one?

I don't know how to delete the quest because when I look at it on the quests page I don't see a way to cancel it like you can with the looted quests. Is there another way to do it?

I tried pulling one out of the creative menu, but it still didn't register, it just said I was not able to accept this quest at this time. Which does bring up another question - why am I always given two of the pages to read when I can only use one?

I don't know how to delete the quest because when I look at it on the quests page I don't see a way to cancel it like you can with the looted quests. Is there another way to do it?

What do you mean you are given two pages to read?

Sounds like you have bigger problems than this mod if you are not able to delete the quest. Along with an icon to select which quest you'd like to display, there's an icon to remove a quest. My best guess is that you may have loaded up the save game without the mod installed and broken something in the questlines. Or that the save game has other issues not related to mod and that you may just have to start a new game.

Sorry that you're having these problems. I've not run into them myself, but think it's just one of those things that rarely pop up when running a alpha game. There probably isn't anything I can do to fix your current save game.

Sounds like you have bigger problems than this mod if you are not able to delete the quest. Along with an icon to select which quest you'd like to display, there's an icon to remove a quest. My best guess is that you may have loaded up the save game without the mod installed and broken something in the questlines. Or that the save game has other issues not related to mod and that you may just have to start a new game.

Sorry that you're having these problems. I've not run into them myself, but think it's just one of those things that rarely pop up when running a alpha game. There probably isn't anything I can do to fix your current save game.

I think for the "two pages to read," he means there are two of the basic quest, one stacking on top of another, and like the schematics, it can only be read once. He probably has the loot abundance set to 200, which basically doubles your starting loot, including that quest note. The best way around that is to set the stack size to 1, like the schematics.

For the other problems, I'm just as stumped.

Oh yeah, that save game is gone, I keep creating new ones to find a world that has a lower percentage of water to land mass. My system doesn't like rendering water, and some worlds have too much and makes my game laggy af. But, I've figured out a way to complete the quest chain, I just make sure Gather Class Gear is done last. Also, it's not just your mod that always gives 2 quest notes, Valmar's Valmod does it too. When I started modding 7DTD, I was told that I couldn't swap between mods easily, the only way to do it would be to create a 2nd installation of the game, with its own launch icon. So I currently have 3 installations, one vanilla, one NWALC, and one Valmod. I don't even know how Steam manages it, and that could be where the problem lies. It would be nice if there was a Discord server someplace where I could ask questions and get more info before I break stuff! lol

I think for the "two pages to read," he means there are two of the basic quest, one stacking on top of another, and like the schematics, it can only be read once. He probably has the loot abundance set to 200, which basically doubles your starting loot, including that quest note. The best way around that is to set the stack size to 1, like the schematics.

For the other problems, I'm just as stumped.

Thanks for the good pick up on that problem. I didn't catch what he was talking about.

Oh yeah, that save game is gone, I keep creating new ones to find a world that has a lower percentage of water to land mass. My system doesn't like rendering water, and some worlds have too much and makes my game laggy af. But, I've figured out a way to complete the quest chain, I just make sure Gather Class Gear is done last. Also, it's not just your mod that always gives 2 quest notes, Valmar's Valmod does it too. When I started modding 7DTD, I was told that I couldn't swap between mods easily, the only way to do it would be to create a 2nd installation of the game, with its own launch icon. So I currently have 3 installations, one vanilla, one NWALC, and one Valmod. I don't even know how Steam manages it, and that could be where the problem lies. It would be nice if there was a Discord server someplace where I could ask questions and get more info before I break stuff! lol

If the other mods are having issues then it's just a matter of what limitations we have to live with and work around. just tossing the other quest note should take care of it. I think the quest can only be completed once anyway.

Multiple installations is a good way to handle mods i just copy the game folder for each separate mod. It also keeps it from breaking the modded save game before it can be updated.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyway to make localization files downloadable for server?

Hi I was wondering if there is a way to make it so that the localization files can be pushed to client side, we are running a server but lose players as they cannot read the class boxes and some aren't very good with computers.

If anyone knows I'd appreciate it as I'm looking to add extra content to the server and possibly have it able to add modded filed for client side. This game needs an in game mod manager!

• 3 weeks later...

Multiple installations is a good way to handle mods i just copy the game folder for each separate mod. It also keeps it from breaking the modded save game before it can be updated.

I started to play with this mod today and I like it. I'm watching your videos for learning.

What about Modlauncher? It's easy to install and update differend mods.

What are the following goals in developing the mod?

I love mods with nice graphics like Undead Legacy. It's possible to make new icons for this mod for better visual experience.

• 3 months later...

OMG i love this mod. You pinpointed and remade almost all things I wanted. ( usually I mod arost so you can build them with plastic feathers also)

Edit: just realized that you can do that in this mod. I luv it!

But I was trying out the backpack expansion. And I can't get it to work through mod launcher. It works when I start a new game but when I load s saved game the backpack get resized to it's normal size. What am I doing wrong?

Archived