ComSenMod (now for A18)

Crater Creator

I'm guessing that when alpha 16 is released you will do some changes in your mod to fit the changes.

i'm hoping that the prices the traders ask is lower, and i wish there were more of them in rwg; they are way to hard to find. are you able to do some changes in that and if you can do you plan on doing so?

what about the increase in finding minibike schematic? can that be done? they are hard to find. played once and in a three weeks, even traveling to the hub city, that has two book stores, and two towns that had stores, searching houses, trash bags, mailboxes, and other places i did not find a schematic for the bike. seems the book and calipers are hard to find.

another question. when alpha 16 is released i will be modding the bears to not attack me. would downloading your mod have a effect on the bears, or would it be better to download the mod before the bears are modded?

when you talked about ammo, is the ammo for the magnum to be increased? it seems to be one that i don't find much of the ammo yet have been able to find the gun parts easy. gun isn't much good if you don't have bullets.

Yes, I plan to update ComSenMod for Alpha 16. At this point I'm hoping to merge my changes into the A16 files once experimental is released. I anticipate the files affected won't change too much between A16 experimental and A16.0. It's helpful to take an 'all or nothing' approach to the files, either making a lot of changes to an .xml or none.

I have about 40 more edits I've done locally. Once I get through my to-do list, I'll test it for balance, and I'll see how close we are to A16 experimental then.

One thing on my list is to look at the quantities of items traders sell. My goal is not to make the game easier, however I am interested in adjustments so you don't find nearly worthless quantities of things. For instance, if hypothetically you could buy concrete mix, but only enough to make 2 blocks, it's almost not worth having it in the store. I haven't found the prices to be unfair, but maybe I just like treasure hunting more than other people.

I'll look at the frequency of traders in RWG since you asked.

Calipers are easier to acquire in ComSenMod, indirectly. If you find the tool & die set, you can use it to forge a set of calipers. This avoids a weird situation where you can make rockets, but not bullets. I've discovered the recipe is broken in the current release, but I've fixed it locally.

In ComSenMod, books are found in backpacks, because that makes sense. So finding your minibike book and so on would be a bit easier. :)

It's not immediately apparent where bear spawning is controlled. Which file are you changing for that? In general, you should install ComSenMod first and then make any further changes, since you'll be changing less than ComSenMod does.

Thanks, Cork55. In that case, ComSenMod is fully compatible with disabling bears, because it doesn't affect the entitygroups.xml file.

I looked at trader spawning, and it seems they only spawn in the wilderness. That is, in RWG they aren't found in town. However, I've decided to wait and see how A16 affects this, since it completely overhauls the generation of towns with districts, more sprawl, less regular layouts and whatnot.

Also, I missed Walking Dad's suggestion on expanding treasure loot until now. Not sure I see the reason to dilute treasure chests - then they wouldn't be treasure chests, no? I can see how you'd find most of the treasure useless, since disabling traders changes the balance of things dramatically. But I'm not sure how one mod could be balanced to reconcile people that play with traders and people who don't. One or the other side would get disappointing results at least some of the time. :ohwell:

What I have done which I think you'll like is change air drop crates to include canned food and armor. The stumps are also overhauled to be more like a 'survival stash.' Not a full bug out kit by any means, but at least some handy things you'd stow on a hunting trip.

I'm inclined to agree with you that vending machines wouldn't suddenly start taking tokens instead of old cash, at least from what little story we have to piece together at this point. I better think more before committing to that change, though. I suspect the devs have a good reason, like not wanting the clutter of 2 different currencies.

It's shaping up that the most changes in the next version will be items related. A lot of things in vanilla aren't using the most appropriate materials.

Crater Creator I think you need to do the binding on the dealer. This method radically changes the gameplay and is the game from the other side. It is not logical to make a steel axe or a shovel, but to buy from a dealer is quite real, as well as other delicate things.

Upcoming Update

Version 2.5 of ComSenMod is nearing release, and is expected to be the last pre-A16 version. I don't know how many people like to use mods but don't like to jump on to experimental right away, but this one will be for you :).

I've spent more time spot-checking the specific changes I've made this time, instead of trying to test everything through a natural playthrough. Some highlights:

• No more cinder blocks on the roads. They're replaced with a hopefully better-looking variety of debris.
  • Many fixes to item/block materials, which affects things like scrapping, repairing, and sounds. In particular, plastic continues to develop into a 'real' material with more sources and uses.
  • Books give you action skills. For example, reading a pistol book now raises your pistols skill. This spreads the utility of duplicate books out to more skills, and puts scavengers on more even footing with grinders.
  • Among other loot changes, sealed crates like Working Stiffs are guaranteed to not be empty.
  • Reverted most of the weathersurvival.xml changes. I bit off more than I could chew trying to rebalance the weather system. But it's still working great - better than vanilla - with my changes to insulation (clothes only warm you) and biomes (the world is colder overall to compensate).

I'm on Day 4 of my 'real' playthrough where I assess the balance of everything together. I would like to fix the issue where hitting something with a flashlight makes no noise because it can't find the appropriate particle effect, but unless someone can help with that it may have to stay as a "known issue."

Version 2.5 of ComSenMod is nearing release, and is expected to be the last pre-A16 version. I don't know how many people like to use mods but don't like to jump on to experimental right away, but this one will be for you :).

I've spent more time spot-checking the specific changes I've made this time, instead of trying to test everything through a natural playthrough. Some highlights:

• No more cinder blocks on the roads. They're replaced with a hopefully better-looking variety of debris.
  • Many fixes to item/block materials, which affects things like scrapping, repairing, and sounds. In particular, plastic continues to develop into a 'real' material with more sources and uses.
  • Books give you action skills. For example, reading a pistol book now raises your pistols skill. This spreads the utility of duplicate books out to more skills, and puts scavengers on more even footing with grinders.
  • Among other loot changes, sealed crates like Working Stiffs are guaranteed to not be empty.
  • Reverted most of the weathersurvival.xml changes. I bit off more than I could chew trying to rebalance the weather system. But it's still working great - better than vanilla - with my changes to insulation (clothes only warm you) and biomes (the world is colder overall to compensate).

I'm on Day 4 of my 'real' playthrough where I assess the balance of everything together. I would like to fix the issue where hitting something with a flashlight makes no noise because it can't find the appropriate particle effect, but unless someone can help with that it may have to stay as a "known issue."

Looking forward to trying it out!

Version 2.5 Change List

• Moved files to separate Config folder in the download for clarity and ease of installation

biomes.xml

• Reduced tires on roads by half
    Compensates for more spare tires found in cars
  • Replaced cinder blocks on roads with other debris like hubcaps & driftwood
    Maintains the idea & visual interest of debris on the road with somewhat more plausible items

blocks.xml

• Changed material of purses from cloth to leather
    Purses are typically made of leather
  • Changed material of bird nests from wood_weak to furniture
    wood_weak was too strong
  • Set wooden desk to use new desk loot group
    to use the wooden drawer sounds without having to use nightstand loot
  • Changed shopping basket material from metal to plastic
    They’re typically made of plastic
  • Disabled fall damage on snow
    It’s soft like hay, and it gives a benefit to building in the snowy biome
  • Marked new road debris blocks as terrain decorations
    This helps place them at ground level

entityclasses.xml

• Increased experience points for killing a dog by 25%
    Killing one dog requires the skill & effort of killing something like 2.5 regular zombies

items.xml

• Made empty buckets stackable up to 50
    More consistent with jars, pots, etc. now that buckets are found in loot
  • Made stone arrows scrap to stone instead of wood
    The arrowhead is more durable than the shaft, so that’s the part that you’d salvage
  • Changed material of bone & bone shiv from metal to wood
    For more bone-like sounds
  • Changed material of torch from organic to wood
    For more wood-like sounds
  • Changed blunderbuss ammo to scrap to stone instead of paper
    You would salvage the more durable part
  • Changed gas can material from metal to plastic
    Probably inconsequential, but better matches UI icon
  • Changed dynamite material from stone to dynamite
    There was already a dynamite material defined... oversight?
  • Changed shopping basket material from metal to plastic
    They’re typically made of plastic
  • Changed shopping basket to be repaired with plastic
    To match its new material
  • Changed swat helmet from metal to military fiber
    “Military fiber” is used throughout the game for any high tech military-grade armor
  • Changed swat helmet to be repaired with military fiber
    To match its new material
  • Changed football & mining helmets from metal to plastic
    Research indicates they’ve been plastic since ~1950
  • Changed football & mining helmets to be repaired with scrap plastic
    To match their new material
  • Changed blood draw kit from metal to plastic
    Better matches the UI icon
  • Added weight to blood draw kit
    So it can be scrapped
  • Changed jackets from cloth to leather
    They look leather to me, especially the letterman version
  • Changed coffee drink material from organic to glass
    For consistency with other drinks
  • Changed fertilizer from metal to organic
    Assumed to be an oversight
  • Changed glue from organic to plastic
    So that it scraps to something useful
  • Reduced weight of glue
    To balance the amount of plastic from scrapping it
  • Changed calipers from metal to brass
    To support new recipe
  • Reading a book gives you a point in the related action skill
    Book learning isn’t worthless. Reading a book about pistols should make you somewhat better with pistols, specifically, and not just with bullets & repair kits. Books are still rare, so they supplement rather than supplant your need to fire thousands of bullets or get hit hundreds of times to become proficient.
  • Changed flashlights, night vision goggles, & car batteries to be repaired with electrical parts instead of repair kits
    If it’s broken, the electrical parts are what would need repair. Oil & duct tape won’t work.
  • Changed animal hide clothing to be repaired with animal hide
    If you had leather, you probably wouldn’t need to be repairing your animal hide clothes in the first place
  • Changed hunting knife & machete to be repaired with repair kits instead of forged iron
    A low durability blade probably needs sharpening rather than replacing, in which case a repair kit seems a closer analogue to an oilstone or strop
  • Changed stone axe, stone shovel, & wooden bow to be repaired with plant fibers
    I figure the fiber would be the part that wears out fastest, and needs repairing most often
  • Changed crossbow to be repaired with leather
    I figure the string would be the part that wears out fastest, and needs repairing most often
  • Changed material & repair material for sunglasses & derivative eyewear from metal to plastic
    Plastic is most likely for the frames and the lenses, and repairing them with “broken” glass would feel weird
  • Re-enabled repair properties for scrap plastic & electrical parts
    So that these work to repair items
  • Raised block damage on machete to be as good on wood as an iron fire axe
    Machetes are specifically designed to chop wood, plus they’re rare and un-craftable in this game
  • Increased economic value of crossbows by 50%
    To match the crossbow’s status as an endgame weapon (for now)

loot.xml

• Added padlock to locker loot
    Lockers often have locks. :) Besides, padlocks were only found in 1 group.
  • Added wood, plastic, iron, rotten food, beverages, & candy tin to locker loot
    Representing shelves & other scrappable items inside, and abandoned lunches
  • Removed hats, paper, & gunpowder from locker loot
    Redundant with other groups already included
  • Added quests & treasure maps to locker loot
    These follow naturally wherever books & paper are found
  • Rebalanced probabilities of items found in locker loot
    Some things were so rare, you’d probably never find them
  • Guaranteed Working Stiffs and other store-specific crates will have a minimum of 1 item
    No one would bother to package and seal a crate if it’s empty
  • Reduced clothes found on generic zombies
    In playtesting I was finding too many clothes
  • Reduced loot from cars back closer to vanilla
    In playtesting I was finding too much valuable loot, and duplicates
  • Switched cars to use junkPersonal loot group instead of junk
    So you don’t find plant fibers, door knobs, etc.
  • Added aloe cream to medicine loot
    Representing various first aid creams & ointments
  • Made separate loot group for desks
    So that they don’t have clothes, while keeping the wooden drawer sounds
  • Reduced chance of finding a crossbow on corpses
    I was finding them too often
  • Added new “office supplies” group including paper, books, wood, iron, plastic, tape, glue, & electronic parts for desks & filing cabinets
    Representing things like pencils, pens, rulers, markers, staplers, calculators, etc.
  • Replaced ammo in desks with pistol+ammo (still a rare find)
    A pistol seems more plausible than other weapons
  • Reduced chance of finding pistol+ammo in toilets
    Finding it once is neat, but you would find too many over the course of a game
  • Added vitamins to desks & filing cabinets
    Seems as likely to find as painkillers
  • Increased quantities of glue you find at once
    To reduce the clutter of finding tiny amounts of different things
  • Added extra chance for cop zombies to drop shades
    The classic cop look isn’t complete without these stylish aviators
  • Adjusted air drops to drop fewer types of food at once
    For reduced clutter

quests.xml

• Reduced number of screamers & animals you need to kill for various challenges
    Difficulty aside, you could go many days before the game would spawn, say, 5 rabbits. It was more luck than challenge.

recipes.xml

• Changed calipers recipe to require brass instead of steel
    Recipe was broken since steel isn’t a forge material
  • Reordered flashlight recipe so it scraps to electrical parts
    You would salvage the more valuable part

weathersurvival.xml

• Reverted EnclosureDetectionThreshold, DryTempCutoff, DryPercentPerSecondPerDegree, CoreTempChangeRateWhenDry, CoreTempChangeRateWhenWet, BaseOutsideTempChangeWhenWet, OutsideTempChangeWhenInSunCloudScale back to vanilla values
    These changes either had no effect, the effects were poorly understood, or the problems they sought to fix weren’t adequately investigated. I’ll stick to biome temperatures & insulation values until these variables are better understood and/or less buggy.

Known Issues

• The flashlight makes no sound when you hit something with it, because the game can’t find an appropriate particle effect

ComSenMod 2.5 was tested most in the desert, since I tested the last version mostly in colder biomes. In the desert, you'll be a little hot (>90° F) if you wear a tank top, shorts, some armor, and stay dry. If you get wet, you can get pretty cold (45° F). That's colder than I wanted, but this is what you get with mostly vanilla values.

While I would like ComSenMod to simply 'fix the weather', I think it's best to focus on other areas until the developers can improve weather themselves. There are too many variables to isolate which one is making it too hot or too cold when I test various scenarios.

In the end, I felt weather had become a distraction to the other goals of the mod. So I reverted most of the weather to standard. Biome temperature and insulation from clothes is unchanged from 2.0. The other changes that are still present are:

• When it snows, it takes longer to get wet
  • The wind cools you down more
  • You heat up more from running
  • Elevation doesn't affect temperature very much until you get very high

I'd be happy to hear what everyone thinks about the balance, of weather as well as everything else.

Crater Creator The weather is not predictable. Located in a forest biome, at an ambient temperature of +17C, the snow fell. I have the feeling that there is a huge inertia (hysteresis), displaying the temperature not kept pace with the actual. Return characteristics of clothing on the standard. In the desert it is impossible to be, is overheating (completely naked). In the original version solved the problem hat, shorts or t-shirt. For cold biomes carry a jacket or raincoat.

Reduce the radius of the heat from the fire and foundries up to 2 blocks. He is now obscenely large.

Edited by TARCH26 (see edit history)

It's true that your temperature changes slowly. So if it's snowing when it's hot, hopefully it just means your body hasn't cooled down to the ambient temperature yet. You can get more information if you type "weather" in the console. But generally, if it's too cold or too hot, it's not ComSenMod's fault, since it uses mostly vanilla (standard) values for weather now. You would get similar results without the mod.

It is possible to live in the desert. I did it for over two weeks. My standard outfit was a tank top, shorts, mining helmet, and military vest. I dealt with the heat several ways:

• Stay inside or in the shade
  • Drink yucca juice or red tea
  • Swim in a lake
  • Take off my shirt or pants
  • Endure being hot. I don't think there's any negative consequence below 100° F.

The campfire and forge heat you from 3 blocks away. I did not change this. It is the standard value. Is 3 blocks versus 2 blocks really "obscenely large"?

• 3 weeks later...

handheld player

Could be modified

10x handheld player :neglected:

Because I hate punching to take 1hp at least 10hp

To kill a zombie 45 from hp with hand 1hp player an eternity

sorry about my English:butterfly:

PS:tranqüilidade::PROTEUS SERVE 7 Days to Die :tranqüilidade:

Thank you for the suggestion.

Actually, your hand does 5 points of damage to zombies.

<item id="70" name="handPlayer"> <!-- handPlayer must remain on ID 70 -->
<property name="Extends" value="handMaster" />
<property name="IsDeveloper" value="true" />
<property name="HoldType" value="0" />
<property class="Action0"> 
	<property name="Delay" value="0.75" />
	<property name="Range" value="2.5" />
	[color="#00FF00"]<property name="DamageEntity" value="5" />[/color]
	<property name="DamageBlock" value="1" />
	<property name="Stamina_usage" value="3" />
	<property name="DamageBonus.head" value="2" />
	<property name="DamageBonus.organic" value="5" />
</property>
<property name="ActionSkillGroup" value="Athletics"/>
<!--use_action class="LiftUpTerrain" delay="1" use_time="..." gain_health="-5"gain_stamina="-20" gain_food="0" gain_water="10" gain_sickness="15" condition_raycast_block="77,78,79,80" sound_start="UseActions/player_drinking" /-->
</item>

If a punch did 10 points of damage, it would be more powerful than many weapons. There are about 22 weapons and tools that do less than 10 points of damage at minimum quality. I don't think it makes sense for hitting with your empty hands to do more damage than hitting while holding something. Yes, it takes a long time to kill a zombie with your bare hands, but why not just use a weapon?

• 3 weeks later...

An update for everyone!

I've finished a rough draft of the Alpha 16 version of ComSenMod. The bulk of the work has been to merge ComSenMod with Alpha 16's changes, but in the process a fair number of new changes have made their way in. I'm rolling with A16's values wherever possible, and I don't revert changes lightly. But along with the usual fixes & balances, highlights will include restoring a bonus when completely destroying a tree, and re-ordering the basic survival quest.

I'll be testing this version in single player, and hopefully coop as well, before releasing it. With the big code merge done, and anticipating few changes between b119 and A16's release, I should be able to time a release shortly after A16 leaves experimental. In the meantime, now would be a good time to nominate anything new in Alpha 16 you think deserves the Common Sense Mod treatment. :)

• 4 weeks later...

ComSenMod 3.0 Now Available!

The long wait is over, and the first Alpha 16-compatible version of ComSenMod is now available! See the first post of the thread for the download link.

Shout out to my buddy Vektros for being gracious enough to load ComSenMod onto his (private) server. As a result, this edition has been tested for balance on an unprecedented scale: hundreds of man-hours when you add up everyone's playtime.

Version 3.0 Change List (Part 1/2)

• Merged all ComSenMod files with new Alpha 16 files
  • Added .txt version of this Read Me file for server operators

Known Issues

• The flashlight makes no sound when you hit something with it, because the game can’t find an appropriate particle effect
  • Plywood and other road debris sometimes floats above the ground

It’s aligned to the bottom of its voxel and set as a decoration; that’s all the more that can be done as far as I know. Cinder blocks have the same problem.

biomes.xml

• Adjusted biome temperatures to be a constant value colder than A16 vanilla’s temperature ranges

A few biomes changed from A15, but the relative difference should stay the same

• Replaced whiteSidingWoodPanelBurnt7 with burntWoodBlock6

Substitution for old block, which was removed

buffs.xml

• Slightly reduced warmth from campfires

It’s seemed too extreme in testing, causing an annoying amount of overheating

blocks.xml

• restored 30% of the wood that dropped in Alpha 15 when destroying trees

It’s an incentive to not leave half-destroyed trees around, and makes sense that some of the wood isn’t accessible until the whole tree comes down

• Adopted vanilla behavior of school desks dropping scrap plastic on destruction instead of on harvest

The important part was for them to provide plastic

• Adopted vanilla value for scrap plastic dropped from destroyed blinds

The important part was for them to provide plastic

• Adopted vanilla chance of harvesting mechanical parts from cars

They were rebalanced to be more plentiful than A15, which was the original goal

• Changed old cabinet sink to use sink loot list instead of fridge loot list

• Re-implemented the non-centered plywood plate block

For use as road decoration; looks & plays better than cinder block piles

• Added chance for intact and partially damaged cars to drop plastic when harvested

Modern cars use lots of plastic

• Made hanging moss yield plant fibers when destroyed

That’s what they’re made of, and it can save you a trip topside in the early game

• Changed bedroll’s repair and fall items to cotton

To match its new recipe

• Changed material of bird nests from furniture to hay

So that they’re weaker and make a more appropriate sound

• Reduced chance of planted trees dropping feathers by 25% (native trees are unchanged)

To reduce the ability to ‘farm’ feathers in unlimited quantities

• Made burning barrels burn characters on top of them

As you’d expect from a fire

entityclasses.xml

• Changed fat female zombie to use ‘fat zombies’ loot group

She was using farmer loot, but she doesn’t look like a farmer

• Adopted vanilla experience points for killing dogs

Wildlife, experience points, and enemy behavior have all changed a lot since A15, so rolling back this change

items.xml

• Reverted crossbow’s economic value to vanilla

To reflect the crossbow’s demotion to a mid-game weapon

• Adopted vanilla value for gas can’s material

“Fuel barrel” is more specific than plastic

• Adopted vanilla value for dynamite material

Looks like it has its own dedicated material now

• Adopted vanilla value for running shoe weight

The important part was for it to have a weight, so it can be scrapped

• Changed suit jacket material & repair material to cloth

Same result as in vanilla, but necessary since it’s an extension of the jacket, which is now leather

• Adopted vanilla value for blood draw kit weight

The important part was for it to have a weight, so it can be scrapped

• Adopted vanilla value for fertilizer material

“Fertilized farmland” is more specific than organic

• Reading an armor book now increases “Clothing/Armor” skill

Because light & heavy armor were merged into one new skill

• Reverted poncho repair material to leather

It’s now treated as a leather poncho everywhere else

• Increased fullness & wellness from vegetable stew

Compared to meat stew, it wasn’t high enough to justify the increased ingredients (5 potatoes, 5 corn, & 5 mushrooms)

• Reverted glue material from plastic back to organic

Since you can turn bones into glue, you could in effect turn zombie corpses into plastic

• Increased fullness & wellness from blueberry pie

For better consistency with other high-end foods, and to match its new recipe

• Made machetes harvest wood e.g. from trees, though with less yield than with an iron fireaxe

A machete should still work in its original role as a wood-chopping tool

Localization - Quest.txt

• Updated basic survival quest numbering, all languages

Because the order has changed

• Updated basic survival quest info, English version

Because some recipes have changed

• Enclosed all basic survival quest descriptions in quotes, English version

For better readability of the file

• Added instructions to first basic survival quest on how to equip an item, English version

This important step wasn’t covered

• Added explanation to “start a base” description

Without more instruction, it’s not clear why you need to build blocks, besides that the game tells you to.

• Removed references to negative insulation in the hot weather tip, English version

The mod overhauls insulation to always be positive

materials.xml

• Enabled hay bales to be scrapped into plant fibers

It’s logical, balanced, and you could do it before

Version 3.0 Change List (Part 2/2)

recipes.xml

• Changed machete recipe to require a workbench & forged steel instead of iron

To help distinguish the hunting knife as a mid-game weapon and the machete as a better, late-game weapon & tool

• Reverted torches to require tallow instead of animal fat

As a roundabout way of requiring a fire to make more fire (render the fat in a campfire)

• Changed crucible recipe to require glass instead of mechanical parts

A crucible has no moving parts, so mechanical parts didn’t work. However some designs use clay with quartz sand, so glass is a closer analogue. The quantities of stone and clay required still make it a late-game item.

• Increased blueberries & cornmeal required for blueberry pie

For better consistency with other high-end foods, and to better reflect the abundance of different ingredients

loot.xml

• Reduced chance of finding repair kits in basic guns & ammo loot

I was finding too many of them in testing

• Removed padlock from automotive loot

Automobiles don’t have padlocks, and there was a lot of overlap with the tool group

• Reduced chance of finding night vision goggles in survival stash loot

To reflect their increased usefulness since A15

• Rebalanced probabilities within backpack loot

To match the A16 shift toward more whole firearms

• Increased max forged iron found on lumberjacks

For consistency with other places forged iron is found

• Adjusted quantities of items in lab equipment loot

For consistency with similar occurrences of the same items

• Made cooking pots a more likely find than cooking grills in oven loot

Matching the relative frequency in A16 vanilla

• Added paint to sink loot

It’s as or more plausible than finding it in a cupboard

• Adopted vanilla chance of finding guns in safe loot

To match the A16 shift toward more whole firearms

• Reverted quantity of loot found on generic zombies to A15 levels

The day-to-day quantity of zombie corpses to loot isn’t higher, and the mod provides more variety so there’s less duplicate loot

• Slightly increased chance of finding a firearm in cop loot

To get closer to the vanilla A16 probability

• Adjusted quantities of cloth found in washing machine loot

For consistency with other places cloth is found

• Set cop, nurse, wight, & business man zombies to use the new junkPersonal group instead of junk

junkPersonal is more tailored to only include personal effects

• Removed paint tool from garage loot

redundant with the tools group already part of this container

• Using dirty beverages in trash compactor loot instead of the old beverages

Drinks found in trash aren’t reliably safe to drink

• Adjusted quantities of loot found in new shipping crates & collapsed stations

For consistency with similar occurrences of the same items

• Added electronic parts to collapsed battery bank loot

Representing broken, but salvageable parts

• Added gas cans, electric parts, & mechanical parts to collapsed generator bank loot

Representing broken, but salvageable parts

• Restored zombie stripper’s use of its own loot list

• Created new weaponAllBows loot group and used it for ranged bandits, cowboy zombies, survival stashes, & ‘hero’ crates

There was a hole where several zombies drop compound bows or their parts, but the other bows are absent in loot

• Added ladders to working stiffs & garage loot

Ladders weren’t found in any loot, but they’re a very plausible find in these places, and useful for the early game

• Restored amount of loot found in pill cases to vanilla levels

These aren’t the sealed crates I thought they were, and there was too much loot to find at a Pop ’n’ Pills

• Split chance of finding padlocks between desks & filing cabinets

You might find a locked drawer in either, but rarely will it be a separate, non-integrated padlock

• Added facial piercings to zombie stripper loot

She has a punk look that makes them seem appropriate, or they can represent her nipple rings

• Increased chances of zombie strippers carrying junk

Now that this zombie spawns in the wild at any time, she should carry less rare loot

• Increased quantities of ammo when found together with the appropriate weapon

To reduce the clutter of finding tiny amounts of different things, and to match the A16 shift toward more firearm use

• Adjusted chances of different loot from tree stumps

Players were getting a bit too much good stuff in testing

• Increased the maximum number of eggs players could find at once by one

Players were finding too few eggs in testing, and 3 eggs is still very plausible

• Removed gold & diamond from cupboard loot

Only silver really makes sense, especially since cupboard loot is used elsewhere, like in coolers

• Added wood, duct tape, and plastic to skateboarder loot

He was dropping too many mechanical parts, so these less valuable materials represent other parts of a skateboard

• Removed paint-related items from airdrop loot

This was a consequence of using the Working Stiffs group in airdrops

quests.xml

• Re-ordered basic survival quest chain to: wooden club, stone axe, bow & arrows, start a base, bedroll, campfire, craft clothes, wear clothes, find trader

Do the handheld items first and the clothes last, because in practice defending yourself from enemies is a shorter-term threat than freezing or overheating. Make the club first, so that players have the simplest, single-ingredient recipe to follow when they’re first learning how to craft. As for the bedroll, until you build or collect something, any place you could respawn is as good as every other place. So start a base before putting down a bedroll, so there’s something to come back to. Make the campfire next, to facilitate settling in one spot instead of just placing important things wherever.

weathersurvival.xml

• Let player get colder before they stop drying out (30 instead of 40) (reinstated from ComSenMod 2.0)

Should be forgiving, because there’s a punishing feedback loop where you get cold because you’re wet and stay wet because you’re cold. 30 is closer to the freezing point.

• Lowered the maximum rate at which players can dry from 10% per second to 5% per second

The above change makes the theoretical maximum higher, and this should reduce how often you have to swim to stay cool in hot weather