Steel Smithing Level 3

BillB

Has anyone figured out what the benefit is for Steel Smithing level 3?

at level one you get the steel and steel arrow recipes

at level two you get mechanical parts

I took level three and cannot determine if I got anything for my 30 skill points!?!

Basically you don't need either it or L2 in A15, it looks like a placeholder, as you can get as many mechanical parts as you want from office chairs, not to mention springs from cars.

It's not a placeholder. It is by design. If you like scavenging, great don't need level 2-3. If you are more of a builder then great you can make your own.

I definitely expect it to evolve but it's been stated that it is definitely that way by design and not a placeholder.

I really wish these with 10 points each... so for all three it would be 30 points. Because less face it, who is going to unlock them?

Interestingly, with the XP you get from killing Zs, the main gating factor here is Construction tools. If you don't upgrade some random buildings just to get that skill up, you'll end up with more than a hundred skill points before you can get Steel 3.

Interestingly, with the XP you get from killing Zs, the main gating factor here is Construction tools. If you don't upgrade some random buildings just to get that skill up, you'll end up with more than a hundred skill points before you can get Steel 3.

Or maybe build a base.... Takes a few minutes and you get levels fast and fight with the claw hammer its fast and hits hard and you get skill for construction tools for using it

I tend to grind out to 20 upgrading wood prefabs. It's not worth the time and effort without a nail gun to do anymore. Level 50 unlocks Chem station so I usually drop 30 into construction and don't even bother with steel 2-3.

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe build a base.... Takes a few minutes and you get levels fast and fight with the claw hammer its fast and hits hard and you get skill for construction tools for using it

Yeah wood bases are useless. Iron is meh. Cobble stone is almost viable.

All depends on what you like doing I guess :D

- - - Updated - - -

I really wish these with 10 points each... so for all three it would be 30 points. Because less face it, who is going to unlock them?

I'm positive these will evolve to include things like the draw bridge/garage doors/vault doors.

You are talking about going from no skill in Construction Tools to about 40. Sure, those go fast. It slows down big time after 50.

And I'm not sure what kind of base you can build in a few minutes, but I wouldn't want to be in it when the horde hits.

1 unlocks forged steel and steel arrow head

2 is springs

3 is mechanical parts.

The description is terrible on that skill.

Ahh, thank you for the clarification. 90 skill points to build mechanical parts is a bit stiff. Hopefully they will either reduce the cost or add things to make the investment more palatable (like maybe auger parts and chainsaw parts)

Wrenching promotes construction tools. I have not made a single real base in my game yet, and I have not put ANY points into construction tools. All I have done is place traps, repair them, upgrade some blocks and place simple improvements on POIs. But I am unlocking steel perks at a steady pace no problem at all. I have found a LOT of wrenches, and I have wrenched a lot of items. That is play style (very different from what I usually do). You do NOT need to build a base to level construction tools. If you are a nomad or explorer, you are still able to level construction tools skill just fine.

Ahh, thank you for the clarification. 90 skill points to build mechanical parts is a bit stiff. Hopefully they will either reduce the cost or add things to make the investment more palatable (like maybe auger parts and chainsaw parts)

I expect advanced construction such as steel blocks/doors to be gated. I'm actually surprised they haven't yet but I guess Gazz just took over balancing and this is a small sliver of that ;)

I'd love to see steel blocks at level 2 and polished steel at 3. I do feel we should be able to make chainsaw and auger parts and blades at 100 tool smithing and level 3 steel with a 10-30 point perk for each.

• 1 year later...

Never happened...😕

Archived