Bows and crossbows have recoil

layarion

i'm no bow expert, but someone on steam told bow n stuff shouldnt have recoil. but in this game when you hip fire they do

now i don't know if what he said is true, but if it is, it's worth mentioning.

this vid shows the recoil

1:15 shows the recoil

• 2 weeks later...
i'm no bow expert, but someone on steam told bow n stuff shouldnt have recoil. but in this game when you hip fire they do

now i don't know if what he said is true, but if it is, it's worth mentioning.

this vid shows the recoil

1:15 shows the recoil

Bows don't have recoil in the same sense of a gun, but the 'recoil' that they do have is a very light kick forwards when firing. Crossbows are the same, but with a heavier kick. A gun has a backwards recoil because of the force of the bullet accelerating out of the chamber, making a reverse, backwards force on the gun (Newton's Third Law). With a bow or a crossbow, when the string gets released, this force is forwards (with the bow's limbs), as opposed to backwards, because unlike a gun, the opposite force of the forwards-moving arrow or bolt is actually in the same direction due to the energy being stored in the bow's limbs, which move forwards to transfer its energy onto the arrow or bolt.

But yeah, compared to a gun, this effect this practically negligible in the hands of a skilled archer or crossbowman. If anything, the recoil of a bow should be in the opposite direction to a gun (down as opposed to up).

Source: I occasionally do target archery as a sport :); use both bows and crossbows.

Bows don't have recoil in the same sense of a gun, but the 'recoil' that they do have is a very light kick forwards when firing. Crossbows are the same, but with a heavier kick. A gun has a backwards recoil because of the force of the bullet accelerating out of the chamber, making a reverse, backwards force on the gun (Newton's Third Law). With a bow or a crossbow, when the string gets released, this force is forwards (with the bow's limbs), as opposed to backwards, because unlike a gun, the opposite force of the forwards-moving arrow or bolt is actually in the same direction due to the energy being stored in the bow's limbs, which move forwards to transfer its energy onto the arrow or bolt.

But yeah, compared to a gun, this effect this practically negligible in the hands of a skilled archer or crossbowman. If anything, the recoil of a bow should be in the opposite direction to a gun (down as opposed to up).

Source: I occasionally do target archery as a sport :); use both bows and crossbows.

well a vid i seen mentioned that a special kind of limb system for bows makes the shake of a bow after release drastically less...paralel limbs or something?

There was this guy called Isaac Newton who though us

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The (cross) bows recoil is negligible compared to firearms. At most arrow has 50-100 joules of energy.

9x19mm pistol bullet has little over 500 joules of energy up to over 15000 of .50BMG bullet.

This forward directing energy energy is what causes reaction as stated by Newton's 3rd law.

So the bow has about 1/10th recoil of the 9x19mm pisto. and 1/1500 of .50BMG rifle

well a vid i seen mentioned that a special kind of limb system for bows makes the shake of a bow after release drastically less...paralel limbs or something?

Parallel limbs are a compound bow concept, and there are no modern compound bows in 7DTD (although it'd be awesome if they were implemented as a more advanced version of the regular wooden bow, and assembled with different components). The bow in the game is a primitive longbow - both recurve bows and longbows have heavier recoil than compounds.

There was this guy called Isaac Newton who though us

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The (cross) bows recoil is negligible compared to firearms. At most arrow has 50-100 joules of energy.

9x19mm pistol bullet has little over 500 joules of energy up to over 15000 of .50BMG bullet.

This forward directing energy energy is what causes reaction as stated by Newton's 3rd law.

So the bow has about 1/10th recoil of the 9x19mm pisto. and 1/1500 of .50BMG rifle

"...making a reverse, backwards force on the gun (Newton's Third Law)". I did mention the Third Law :). What you mentioned is all true. Even though an arrow has a higher mass, the speed at which even a 120 grain bullet leaves the barrel of a gun is several multitudes faster than a bow (at two or more times the speed of sound), which does way more than just make up for a bullet's lack of mass.

• 3 years later...

;U! Terrible advertising spam necro bump!

... though after now reading this, if anything, the cursor should twitch downwards, since the energy is traveling forward, not backwards like it does in a gun to put it loosely.

Archived