What is Google Authenticator

Marty2Live

The short version:  It is one of many apps that will take a unique ID, usually presented to the user as a scannable QR code, as a starting point for a time-based function that returns a value.  So that unique starting point plus the current time is used to generate a 6 or more digit code.  That code, being unique to the user and time of use, is then generally used as a second factor in authentication.  It is not a perfect system, but it is still currently a far better (read: more secure) choice as a second factor than getting a text message or answering canned questions such as your favorite pet as a kid.

I'm sure someone will correct any mistakes I've made above.  :p

Google Authenticator is required for admin accounts on the forum but not for normie accounts. I believe you can opt out of it like you can ignore the suggestions to use 2-factor authorization protections as regular user of the forum.

17 hours ago, Marty2Live said:

What is Google Authenticator?

In short it is a one time password generator. A cryptographic seed is used to generate one-time codes at intervals of about 30 seconds. These are based on the current time.

17 hours ago, Marty2Live said:

Why Google?

The Google Authenticator is just one of the more common known apps. Personally I use Free OTP Generator. Bitwarden Authenticator is my backup app just in case. It doesn't matter which one you use since they are all using the same standard.

A lot of password manager for the desktop like Bitwarden or Keepass also support one time password generation.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)