Is it a dumb idea to turn chunk resets off? (and should i turn them back on?)

I turned them off because i leave storage crates everywhere to get unencumbered and come back later. is it better to turn it back on? because i am starting to destroy a few buildings with sledges. and i kinda hate how zombies won't respawn. and loot non-existent at this point. 

(also do cars despawn if you leave them in a chunk that reset?)

I have it off, mostly because I like leaving my meager footprints on the world. "Oh look, I sheltered there for a night back then!"

It's a tradeoff, in an SP world, I don't really see the point of resetting; althou my worlds don't live long enough to get cleaned. And even if they do, locally, I just quest-reset something suitable for looting again. In MP, sure, but you don't sound like you're in one?

45 minutes ago, AidenwithAnAxe said:

because i am starting to destroy a few buildings with sledges.

That raises.. essentially one question, just in varying lengths.

Why would you destroy something with a sledge and then want it to come back? ,

Why would you destroy something with a sledge?

Why would you be starting to destroy things with a sledge?

Sledge is decent for block damage, sure, but the tools are better; the tools also give (more) mats.

7 minutes ago, theFlu said:

That raises.. essentially one question, just in varying lengths.

Why would you destroy something with a sledge and then want it to come back? ,

Why would you destroy something with a sledge?

Why would you be starting to destroy things with a sledge?

not only sledges, shotguns. i keep missing shots and tearing blocks to shreds, i kinda freak out when i see lots of zombies so i just start spamming and i typically break blocks i shouldn't have, Butcher Pete's is WRECKED. also I am alone. thing is it's like day 80.  I kinda set time to 10 minutes a while back and forgot it wasn't good for progression sake to have the game moving so fast. so I missing a huge gap of things I need, not to mention player block damage is set to 300%

2 minutes ago, AidenwithAnAxe said:

i kinda freak out when i see lots of zombies so i just start spamming and i typically break blocks i shouldn't have,

Ah, right; my bad :D 300% block damage might do that to ya... still wouldn't bother me, really, but no harm in trying to let things regrow; especially as you're already considering the world being in a bit of trouble :)

Just now, theFlu said:

Ah, right; my bad :D 300% block damage might do that to ya... still wouldn't bother me, really, but no harm in trying to let things regrow; especially as you're already considering the world being in a bit of trouble :)

Alrighty man, appreciate it

4 hours ago, AidenwithAnAxe said:

I turned them off because i leave storage crates everywhere to get unencumbered and come back later. is it better to turn it back on? because i am starting to destroy a few buildings with sledges. and i kinda hate how zombies won't respawn. and loot non-existent at this point. 

(also do cars despawn if you leave them in a chunk that reset?)

It is entirely up to you.  Zombies will respawn if you stay away from the area for the respawn time.  Just like loot will.  The POI will not reset, however.  To get then reset, you can start a quest there or use chunk reset.  But as you are aware, resetting chunks means your crates placed around the world will be lost.

Anything in a chunk that resets will be reset.  Note that many things, including cars, are random.  So a reset might still have a car there or may not.

In SP, which I play almost exclusively, I leave loot and chunk respawn off.  I like to think of it as a way of making it more realistic.  You can now wander into any city at night and see a LOT more zombies than in older versions so there are no shortage of zombies to spawn that way.  Enter a city in the wasteland at night for even more fun.  Turn on feral sense in a city in the wasteland at night for the feeling of near constant blood moon every night.

My personal feeling towards chunk reset, is that if you're playing single player, or with just a couple friends, I'd rather just leave it off. It's kinda cool visiting Rekt and seeing the slapped together little base that was put up in the first couple nights. Mixing my raiding with trader quests, I've found I have plenty of loot even at 75% abundance. I kinda like the idea that once I've raided an area, that's it, the goodies are gone.

I think chunk reset is targeted towards people running active servers with many friends where the cities are being cleared much faster than they otherwise would be and the consumption of resources is much greater. - But that doesn't have to be the case, and if you really want to be able to do one specific part of your map over again, go for it, do what you think is fun.

23 hours ago, Maharin said:

In SP, which I play almost exclusively, I leave loot and chunk respawn off.  I like to think of it as a way of making it more realistic. 

And zombies no respawn mod.

"It is the way!"

Chunk reset was mainly implemented for machines that have limited resources. By "machines" I mostly mean consoles. You can use chunk reset on servers too, especially if they're long-running servers. But I've never used it in any SP world that I've played.