Removed building blocks still visible while viewing form a distance (but not up close)

Allgudmate

Dear FunPimps,

Today, I encountered a bug that does not seem to be in the known bug list.

I once made a long pillar for my self to nerd-pull up and get a good view of my surroundings. Afterwards I removed all blocks (by picking them up). 

Every time I travel to location, I can see the old pillar from a distance and only disappears when I get close to it (~20 blocks distance).

I really hope this can be fixed, as it currently ruins the esthetics of my base that is build close to it :)

Try increasing the mesh distance and max region loads setting. You may also try turning dynamic mesh off, load into it, exit, turn it back on, then go back in. If you want to go nuclear, the meshes are saved in your save folder inside the DynamicMeshes folder, you can try deleting them and rebuilding. But, try the first/second options first. 

I tried the first 2 methods, but to no avail:

1. Increasing mesh distance up to 2000, and max region loads to 3: no difference (even the min distance at which the blocks appear / disappear)

2. Turned dynamic mesh off, load (note: pillar was gone), turned back on: pillar was visible again

I might try your 'nuclear' option, but perhaps this should be filed as a bug? It happened to me a couple of times in A21 as well. Besides, I can imagine 'remembering' all these removed blocks can be quite a performance waster.

Edited by Allgudmate
typo (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Allgudmate said:

1. Increasing mesh distance up to 2000, and max region loads to 3: no difference (even the min distance at which the blocks appear / disappear)

2. Turned dynamic mesh off, load (note: pillar was gone), turned back on: pillar was visible again

I might try your 'nuclear' option, but perhaps this should be filed as a bug? It happened to me a couple of times in A21 as well. Besides, I can imagine 'remembering' all these removed blocks can be quite a performance waster.

Keep meshes set to land claim only and you will not create one for a random change you make in the world.  I think changing them after they are created doesn't remove what it already created, though I may be wrong.  Manually deleting the meshes should work, though.

5 hours ago, Allgudmate said:

Hmm, if you don't mind sure, but I can have a look into it myself soon. Can you try putting a random block next to or on top of the ghost tower? That may force an update. I don't think anything in the log would help, but maybe there's a warning or something in there related to it, if you wanted to put one on pastebin.

@Riamus : Oh, I like that idea, will try it out tomorrow (no free time today), thanks! I'm kinda hesitant to delete the meshes though, as it will probably also deleted my base that is close to it?

@Jugginator I will try to put some blocks at or close to the ghost tower as you said, but it will be hard to pinpoint the exact location (as it disappears when I get close). I did already post a log in my earlier reply, here it is again:  https://pastebin.com/pB5vJEEw , in case you have time to have a look

Lastly, I have a gut-feeling this only happens when visiting a undiscovered part of the map for the first time and build something. If I find the time, I will try to replicate it.

Edited by Allgudmate
duplication (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Allgudmate said:

@Riamus : Oh, I like that idea, will try it out tomorrow (no free time today), thanks! I'm kinda hesitant to delete the meshes though, as it will probably also delete my base that is close to it?

@Jugginator I will try to put some blocks at or close to the ghost tower as you said, but it will be hard to pinpoint the exact location (as it disappears when I get close). I did already post a log in my earlier reply, here it is again:  https://pastebin.com/pB5vJEEw , in case you have time to have a look

Lastly, I have a gut-feeling this only happens when visiting a undiscovered part of the map for the first time and build something. If I find the time, I will try to replicate it.

Ah you did apologies, busy mind lol. Hm. After I wrap a couple of other things up, I'll have a play with this and see if I can replicate it myself.

7 minutes ago, Allgudmate said:

@Riamus : Oh, I like that idea, will try it out tomorrow (no free time today), thanks! I'm kinda hesitant to delete the meshes though, as it will probably also deleted my base that is close to it?

Meshes are just a way to view something at a distance.  You can leave meshes turned on for land claim only so a new mesh gets created, letting you see your base from a distance.  But it won't actually remove your base (you would still see it when you are close, even without a mesh).  That could happen if you reset a region file or chunk without having a land claim, but not from removing meshes.  If you want to be safe, you can always make a backup of your entire save so that if there is a problem, you can restore the backup.

Also, meshes cover a decent area, so if you are relatively close, it should be fine.  See if you see a tree or bush or something near it that you can use to get close.