Dollar Bills? CHECK THIS OUT

xhoan350

Ok so you add the dollar bill the reason i say dollar bill is because the game takes place in the United States. By lacing in the dollar bill and the players can find it by searching zombies volts and so own. The reason for this idea is because the server I play in has lots of player who like to trade why not sell your items. by making the items hard to find and a big world people will be trading with others for food and so own this way put the cash currency in and than when you guys make the cell work put in a trading throw that. This will make the game much better. Look what i mean we have land claims and so own so ones we build the bases and so own its easy after that nothing to do . A player comes by you shoot them and boom now what. Put the money in and people will be working hard into getting rich. start a capital.:cool-new: [008000]WEEDKING

I don´t think money should have an value or should be existend in a afterworld. Every item can have a "value" so you when you trade, you trade item(s) vs item(s). Path of Exile had a similar system, where you have no "money" you just trade. F.E.: A Corn or Cornseed have a high value (lets say a hypothetical number of 150, cause of obvious reasons) One woodplank has a value of 1. So 150 Woodplanks = 1 Cornseed

why would i want to give you 150 planks when i can clime over your garden and take all the corn i want when you offline. Or add you as a friend and get in your base and get what ever I want out of it. Corn is not a problem u know or potato seeds dude seeds are not a problem in the world. I can give you free seeds and a lot of more items... But think about this what will happen when you items join the game such as transportation and so own. But your raiding make since when you are playing in a server with 10 players how about over 300 players 600 900 players the server I'm in is getting ready to get over 600 players.

I like the idea of making trade easier between players, but the idea of money is not workable. Why? It comes down to a few harsh economic truths: 1. value is subjective 2. Money is merely a facilitator for trade- and has no value in and of itself. When it comes down to it, all those places selling gold for in preparation of economic collapse is full of it. Gold only has value because we assigned it as worthy. Before the electronics era, Gold really was use for decorative purposes. Its a soft metal, poor for making tools out of it. But because it is rare people want it. Now in a post apocalyptic situation gold will not feed you. Gold will not take away your thirst. Water and food will have higher values. in this game, if we can't use it to protect us, feed us, and kill zeds- a decorative item might be of lower value. (especially if glittering gold makes you easier to spot in PVP.) Furthermore unless there is a mechanic that makes these dollars worth something. it is useless. It would be easier to trade iron bars for a sledgehammer then to give him stacks of an item which has no use.

Cash in a survival situation is valueless unless the people say it has value. I think it should be entered into the game as immersion clutter, Remanent of the old world. Also money can be burned or used to make shot gun shells. I would also like to see the ability to make tungsten coins.

Any currency would have to be such that players can not make it them selves. The reason is if a player can make the money, they can game the system easily. Currency should be something that is rare or hard to get in the world, but it common enough that a player can gather a good amount while salvaging. In fallout This was Bottle Caps mainly as they could be found and a few people could mint new ones. But the tech to press them was uncommon and so no one person could dominate the economy. In Metro the currency is Military grade ammo, The denizens of the metro made ammo, but it was second rate. So you have a choice, use the weaker stuff and save your money or use the good stuff and kill things easier. So if there were to be a currency, it would need to be something of value to some one. Thoughts on this could be canned foods, They can not be made by the player and are a valuable resource as zombies can not smell them. Canned food makes the most sense to me as a currency.

[QUOTE=Andy_0008;135948]Currency's wont work in a world where either the population on a server is low and/or young teens menace the servers[/QUOTE] Remember there will be NPC's in time, some values for good will be assigned. To interact with NPC's selling goods there will need to be some form of economy.

@SyberSmoke Not necessarily. What if the barter system dealing with npc's was a currency-less system in each trade has it's own temporary currency such as "barter points" or "value" that could not carry over outside that trade. I'll explain. NPC selling 3 canned foods, they value it at 10, in order to get said items, you'd have to offer something they value at the same value or higher. Once done, trade over. No currency involved beyond what that trader values at that time. Making it variable based off of different factors ( maybe that trader is really hungry and want to KEEP that food so it's valued higher), the values of items would vary trade to trade within a set range ofcourse. This would make it a good substitute for an actual player trading with you since it's based off of that npc's current desire to keep/get rid of those items.

[QUOTE=Zin;135954]@SyberSmoke Not necessarily. What if the barter system dealing with npc's was a currency-less system in each trade has it's own temporary currency such as "barter points" or "value" that could not carry over outside that trade. I'll explain. NPC selling 3 canned foods, they value it at 10, in order to get said items, you'd have to offer something they value at the same value or higher. Once done, trade over. No currency involved beyond what that trader values at that time. Making it variable based off of different factors ( maybe that trader is really hungry and want to KEEP that food so it's valued higher), the values of items would vary trade to trade within a set range ofcourse. This would make it a good substitute for an actual player trading with you since it's based off of that npc's current desire to keep/get rid of those items.[/QUOTE] Agreed. And indeed. In a world where money and status have no value, because survival comes before social heirarchy, a barter system where the value of any given item can fluctuate based on the circumstances makes the most sense and allows for a much more flexible and random experience, thus allowing for maximum replayability. Trading lead for food on day 4, then trying to get that lead back in the form of bullet tips on day 6, may require much more food, or perhaps some iron.

Feathers are one of the oldest currencies used by man.... personally I like bullets to trade with, I'm bringing it to the trade anyway :D the devs could make it so players can drop the toolbelt on the floor, that way you can trade without anyone switching to a weapon without first equipping there toolbelt but these things like that seem so far off in development with this progress.

The thing about trading is that one person has something the other person wants. They put down offers until a bargain is made then they trade the agreed upon amount. Currency is anything of value to another, it can be anything, therefore we do not need useless dollars added to the game. Another point is that it appears as though the American Government has fallen, dollar bills are Federal Bank Notes, paper that is a government promise of payment and legal tender that can be traded with any U.S. Bank. Whatever... I don't have time to give you an American History lesson, you got the point. Without Government there is no use for paper promises...

trading can be simple if you're worried about security, find a third neutral party you both agree on... each hide a secure box somewhere and give the third party the code you used to lock it... they do the swap of the codes, done.

[QUOTE=Zin;136002]trading can be simple if you're worried about security, find a third neutral party you both agree on... each hide a secure box somewhere and give the third party the code you used to lock it... they do the swap of the codes, done.[/QUOTE] There should be a trading system that makes the third party obsolete. Some sort of system where both players put in their items and both have to aggree to make the transaction with the items there. A craftable trade manager if you will. (some kind of modified safe?) If there will be currency i think tungsten is just too hard to find for that. It should be possible for everyone to at least do smaller trades quite early in game. I havent seen a single block of tungsten yet in the game but then again i get quite bored of mining since there is very little particulary interesting things to find. In my opinion gold in the mines, if nothing else would be fantastic as a craftable block for building. There is alredy trading in the game between players. Would be nice to have at least some way to organize it more, thats my bottom line point.

The thing most people forget is that we humans, even in the worst of times, are social animals. We seek out hierarchical systems or impose them. This can be based on strength, on power, on assets, and other elements. But those traits are how civilizations have formed and fallen for thousands of years. As other have pointed out, feathers, beads, and all manner of other goods have been used as a way to standardize trade. Gold and Silver were used not because of their value, but because they were rare and resisted the elements well. It only makes sense that barter, while necessary, would be supplanted quickly for some form of currency system. It just makes trading easier. As for the government...that to I am not sure about. Think about it, who is sending out the planes...who is dropping the supplies? Those aircraft need to be maintained some where and that is not a small operation. Survivors would more then likely not be that altruistic so a larger body is more then likely at work. This could change, but the federal government has plans inside plans to survive full scale nuclear war. The government would stay alive if barely. That or instead of politicians...DC is now full of Zombiticians.

Archived