Where/What is the value that determine when a given object pops into view? Cars/Trash/Shopping Carts

If I could make 1 change that bothers me more than anything else it's the pop in of cars and shopping carts on the road. It really feels WAY TOO close and I assume it's been optimized for performance, but how is it tied to view distance as a value we can modify? Is it per object type?

I have a pretty robust rig and I want to see how far I can stretch that distance before I consistently drop below 60 fps.

If any modders/xml tweakers know I'd love to test this out.

20 hours ago, avalonnn said:

Is it the view distance or the LOD distance (or something else)? I had to decrease the view distance because my PC is old and I also get rocks popping into view late. 

Ya I have that turned up to max, but it seems like certain objects pop in at different distances. There must be a value assigned to the object related to that.

If it's possible to just edit LOD Distance beyond its current limit I could do that as well.

Anyone know of a mod or have experimented with this?

From what I've read, Object Quality is the setting that most affects render distance for these things. Even at high settings though the render distance isn't all that great. A console command that really helps is 'gfx lodbias n' where n is 1 to 7? maybe 9? 4 gives pretty good distance. This can really hit performance though. What I have done is set up some macros that quickly open the console, enter the command and exit. This way I can quickly adjust it in game. I have one for n=4 to increase distance, and one for n=2 which I've read is close to default high setting.

Edited by seven (see edit history)

I don't know the exact settings, I think it's a combination. Most probably in the managed folder, mostly

controlled by Assembly-CSharp. That is where the real magic happens. When you say old is it older than

ryzen5 3600 gtx1080. I can post a snap of my settings to see if it helps.

If you want to test the menu settings for yourself, then create a world, turn on CM, give yourself two stacks

of blocks.

Walk slowly until the object type in question appears, Stop and place a block . Hit f3 to look at your 3d position,

and write it down. Continue to walk straight to the object, at the front face place a block and record the new position.

Do a little subtraction and you have the base distance. Walking back to the original location may not make it

disappear because of chunk loading. then just go to the options and change different controllers by at least ten percent

up or down or left/right option retest. There is also a buffer that was added in recent releases, I will post it as an edit in a few .

Also it will possibly work different if on a server vs standalone, because of packet latency, and RIP.

The buffer i mentioned is when starting a new game for "Chunk" I have mine set to unlimited until I start to see a problem.

Hope this helps.

Edited by 4sheetzngeegles (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

Do a little subtraction and you have the base distance. Walking back to the original location may not make it

disappear because of chunk loading....

The buffer i mentioned is when starting a new game for "Chunk" I have mine set to unlimited until I start to see a problem.

Hope this helps.

This makes sense. If it is tied directly to the chunk size and LOD of object is a function of chunk size (I am assuming if it's tied to persistence) then there might be a finite distance you can render an object like a car.