7 Days to Die transition from Alpha to v1

Hello, I have a question concerning 7 Days to Die and the transition form Alpha to v1.0. I am new to online gaming and not very tech savvy on how much of this works. I purchased the game through STEAM and am enjoying it very much. I do not know the specifics of how games are purchased, downloaded and played through STEAM. Is the whole game downloaded to my computer? Could I launch a non-multiplay game I have made on my computer if not connected to the internet and launching through STEAM? Or is only part of the game data downloaded and saved on my computer and the connection to STEAM and it's servers is required to have all the components of the game to play?

I assume, if I chose to update to 7 Days to Die v1.0 it will replace/overwrite the current 7 Days to Die Alpha 21.2 load on my computer. And when I connect to STEAM it will connect me to the new v1.0.  Currently both v1.0 and Alpha 21.2 are available for play. Depending on if you chose to try v1 experimental update to v1.0 or stay at Alpha 21.2. So, could how the game versions are identified be managed in a way that both remain available for play? Could my library on STEAM have 7 Days to Die [alpha21.2] and 7 Days to Die [v1.0] listed as options to play?

Again, I am not too tech savvy and might be seeing things as simpler than they are on the tech side of things. The time I have been on STEAM is my only time playing games on-line and being able to do multi-player games with friends. Prior to joining STEAM I had only ever purchased games at a local store and loaded them on my computer to play. No internet was needed. As long as I had power, I could play the games.

I am interested in seeing how v1.0 plays and am sure I will enjoy it as much if maybe not more than the Alpha I have been playing. I just like the idea of still having the Alpha 21.2 version available since I know I enjoy playing it too. Any assistance or guidance you can provide on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance and support.

4 hours ago, Catrina said:

Could I launch a non-multiplay game I have made on my computer if not connected to the internet and launching through STEAM?

Yes.

4 hours ago, Catrina said:

Could my library on STEAM have 7 Days to Die [alpha21.2] and 7 Days to Die [v1.0] listed as options to play?

No. It's one or the other through Steam.

You could play both versions by making a copy of the game folder while it is A21.2, then updateing to V1.0. You could

then start A21.2 from the copied folder, and V1.0 from the Steam folder.

21 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

Yes.

No. It's one or the other through Steam.

You could play both versions by making a copy of the game folder while it is A21.2, then updateing to V1.0. You could

then start A21.2 from the copied folder, and V1.0 from the Steam folder.

Thank you so much for the reply. As I stated, I am not too tech savvy. So which folder do I need to copy. The 'steam' folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam? Or the 7DaysToDie folder under C:\Users\Catrina\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie? Or both?

I assume I would need to copy to an external drive or perhaps just rename so that the update to v1.0 will not overwrite it but just create a new folder for v1.0. Yes?

Also how do you launch the game from the folder without going through STEAM?

I do like Beelzybub mentioned except in reverse :)

I would download the 1.0 experimental version and then copy that somewhere to play with and then redownload my stable version to steam again.

To load the copied game I usually just make a shortcut on my desktop to the exe file and name it 1.0 Ex (316) so I know which one it is.

image.png.1c3c73acea98a92fb0031b442f5780bf.png

3 hours ago, Gamida said:

I do like Beelzybub mentioned except in reverse :)

I would download the 1.0 experimental version and then copy that somewhere to play with and then redownload my stable version to steam again.

To load the copied game I usually just make a shortcut on my desktop to the exe file and name it 1.0 Ex (316) so I know which one it is.

image.png.1c3c73acea98a92fb0031b442f5780bf.png

Thank you for your reply and advice. It is so great that there are people willing to share their knowledge and help out less experienced people like myself. :)

I am gathering you think it best to download the experimental and save that separately to try out and toy around with. And download the stable Alpha again so that I have access to the stable version of the Alpha through STEAM. But with the what I am assuming will be the non-Beta v1 release coming soon, and to be able to play multiplayer with friends who are already playing v1 experimental. I would have to do it again saving the alpha separately so I could play the non-Beta V1 release through STEAM. My fear is I might screw that up. lol Again not the most tech savvy person.

To be sure I am clear on how this works; If I copy this folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die) before updating in STEAM to the 'latest_experimental - unstable build' I am saving the files needed to play 'alpha21.2 - Alpha 21.2 Stable' version of 7 Days to Die?

I could rename the folder '7 Days To Die - Alpha 21.2' and create a shortcut on my desktop to the executable file in that folder to allow me to play the Alpha 21.2 version without launching through STEAM?

Would I need to make a copy of the  7DaysToDie folder under C:\Users\Catrina\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie, where my saved games is? Or just make sure not to reuse the same name for any I start under v1?

Another dumb question; in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die folder, which is the game executable I need to create the shortcut from? 7DaysToDie, 7DaysToDie_EAC or 7dLauncher?

Thank you all for your assistance and support with this matter. It is greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Catrina said:

I could rename the folder '7 Days To Die - Alpha 21.2' and create a shortcut on my desktop to the executable file in that folder to allow me to play the Alpha 21.2 version without launching through STEAM?

Yes

Would I need to make a copy of the  7DaysToDie folder under C:\Users\Catrina\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie, where my saved games is? Or just make sure not to reuse the same name for any I start under v1?

No. But if you're using mods, both versions A21 and V1 would try to load them, which would break one or the other depending on the mod.

Another dumb question; in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die folder, which is the game executable I need to create the shortcut from? 7DaysToDie, 7DaysToDie_EAC or 7dLauncher?

Any of those would work. I would do the Launcher so I have all the startup options available.

Also, I think you've made the better choice to have A21.2 as the copied folder as there will not be any more updates to that version.
V1 experimental is still getting updates so having that as the Steam version makes it easier to keep up to date.

1 hour ago, Beelzybub said:

Yes

No. But if you're using mods, both versions A21 and V1 would try to load them, which would break one or the other depending on the mod.

Any of those would work. I would do the Launcher so I have all the startup options available.

Also, I think you've made the better choice to have A21.2 as the copied folder as there will not be any more updates to that version.
V1 experimental is still getting updates so having that as the Steam version makes it easier to keep up to date.

Once again, thank you so very much for your guidance and assistance. 

I do not use game mods. Not really sure how to do so. And would be scared to try as I might break it. :p  I just play it as designed and loaded from STEAM. So I do not think that will be an issue. I assume if I am invited to play a multi-player game and they use them, it would all be saved on the hosts system or server or whatever, and would not affect my games.

I have seen some suggestions on making a clean load of v1. I believe they are recommending deleting current files and letting it create all new versus overwriting. Is that something I should consider? Would it be better to just cut and past the folder in question to another location and let the system create a new one rather than overwriting what is in the current one after I make a copy?

Yes, if you copy the v1.0 and leave the A21 in steam then when(if) a new experimental drops you will have to go through it all again.

I have done it many times over the years so wasn't thinking what it would matter especially with stable suppose to hit on the 25th.

If you plan on updating to 1.0 stable when it drops and not continuing to play A21 or not playing it that often, then Beelzybub's solution is the better one.

Whichever way you decide, enjoy the game. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly I want to thank everyone for their help with my request for assistance. So good of you to share your time and expertise.

Now for my next dumb question: I copied the file indicated and created a desktop shortcut to the '7dLauncher' application file within. When I start it up I get a small window with two tabs, Start Game and Tools. In the Start Game tab are Launcher Settings and Game Start Options. Below game start options are: Exclusive Fullscreen Mode (with a Render drop down below), Use EasyAntiCheat (EAC) and Use native input module as options to check. Sorry I wanted to put a screen shot of what I see, but I did not see a way to import it into this conversation window. Did I mention I am not too tech savvy. :p

Anyway, can someone explain the differences in these options and advise me on which is best or appropriate for me to select for playing the Alpha 21.2 save I created? This may have been something I did when I first downloaded STEAM and the 7 Days to Die game from there, but I do not recall.

• 5 weeks later...