Two questions:

Hello guys,

I am just wondering, will I loose any progress after the game leaves experimental? I am very eager to play, but I am afraid to put any effort into progression. 

Should I rather wait? 

What is the point of being wet, warm, cold now since normal clothes were taken out of the game? 

Thanks. 

Posted (edited)

There is no guarantee that you can continue your game when a new experimental or stable is released, but judging from previous alphas needing a restart is the exception. You also should not loose any progress, except when the exception does happen.

Especially if you are already playing there is zero reasons to keep perk points stashed. At least I have always started playing normally from first experimental on and never lost perk points, though I had to restart completely a few times.

Still, if you want to play it safe, wait for 1.0 stable.

Currently weather effects seem deactivated so I heard. Weather overhaul is on the road map.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Experimental is NOT for a long-term save. It is for testing and reporting bugs and checking out new features.

IF you carry an experimental save over to stable, you are basically guaranteed to have bugs from the previous builds, and to miss out on new content and fixes. Already we are seeing character data lost from changes to buffs on gear, which causes the player to create a new save, or at least nuke character data.

Yeah, weather effects are pretty useless atm. Since clothing was removed all armour has +20 (I think) heat and cold resistance on all sets. Clothing will come again, and weather is going to get a big rework.

If you can afford the space, you could copy the game files to another directory and play out of that directory instead of the steam one so that updates don't have an effect on you. That's what I've been doing since alpha 16. 

We do our best not to break saved games, but sometimes things are found or implemented during experimental that doesn't translate well to a save. We hope we can avoid that, but there is no guarantee as things are still being fine tuned based on community found bugs and feedback.