New Controller Controls (FEEDBACK)

I know there are other similar topics but I want to add my two cents and hopefully raise awareness of this issue as much as possible. 

the new controller settings for the 1.0 release have made the game unplayable. 

please can the Dev team look at changing it back. It was very disappointing having waited for this Gold release for years and having no way to play it because I have never used a mouse and keyboard. The controller layout was great before. It’s completely unusable now. 

1 hour ago, Daznad said:

I know there are other similar topics but I want to add my two cents and hopefully raise awareness of this issue as much as possible. 

the new controller settings for the 1.0 release have made the game unplayable. 

please can the Dev team look at changing it back. It was very disappointing having waited for this Gold release for years and having no way to play it because I have never used a mouse and keyboard. The controller layout was great before. It’s completely unusable now. 

It's not completely unplayable for me, but it isn't great. It's very cumbersome to say the least.

Sincerely,

Cactus

1 hour ago, Daznad said:

Making another thread just adds unnecessary clutter and actually detracts from the discussion. Merged you into the already existing thread.

Totally unplayable now. I play on an Asus ROG Ally. Before if was perfect, now it's a confusing chore. I can't even figure out how to drop items. Total disappointment. Most of the touchscreen capability is turned off too. I hope for console players sake this isn't the setup they are going to get. I wish there was a way to switch back to old setup. I played half an hour before giving up.  I'd guess Steam deck players would be facing the same problems.

Please change it back or atleast give us the option.

Relax fellow controller users.  Everything now is only a few hundred d-pad clicks away!

"The Aardvark admitted it was wrong."  

I could handle "eating" the glass jars in Alpha 21.  I could handle the brain tumor that took away my ability to "scoop and carry" water in some sort of container.  I could handle that dew collectors were also atmospheric glass smelters.  I could handle the main roads in the middle of the towns turning into a cul-de-sac.  But for FS...  Give me back my old controller scheme.  

Edited by SiblingSlaughter (see edit history)

please for the love of God, give the option to go back to the old menus and co tools. the version is slow and clunky. way too many clicks. at least give the option to change it back to A21

WTF is wrong with TFP  not only are they removing all the random fun from the game but now they have totally destroyed controller use.... so it has been labelled as a bug report.... lol... nah they @%$#ed with it and it has back fired on them..... i hope i can revert back to untill it is fixed

Fix for working controller inventory cursor! Go to the 7 days to die controller settings in steam big picture mode, edit the official layout right joystick “ joystick mouse “ and you will have a cursor for your inventory again!

11 minutes ago, Domcho said:

Fix for working controller inventory cursor! Go to the 7 days to die controller settings in steam big picture mode, edit the official layout right joystick “ joystick mouse “ and you will have a cursor for your inventory again!

Cheers. I'll give this a go.

2 hours ago, Domcho said:

This gives an inventory cursor but makes aiming and navigating the menu's more difficult.  They just need to give us the option for the old schema.

Big thumbs down.
Had to jump on and jump in….agree with everything said. Very strange that they changed so many settings and made things more difficult and less user friendly. I keep dropping tool bar items because “down b pad” was my go to weapon. lol While I can stop that habit I don’t want to scroll over to get to it…why. And why scroll through whole inventory slot after slot in order to finally get to an item. Anyway, not lovin it. Hopefully they hear and change or give options. 

I also would like the older controller controls back

The quick select menu does not allow movement while it's open and is objectively slower than using the dpad to quick swap between your first 3 slots on the old controller scheme, not to mention the inhumane number of dpad inputs needed to navigate, manage loot and depositing loot.

overall the new controls have no advantage other than useless functions that do not demand always accessible shortcuts like push to talk, and hotbar dropping.

This game demands you have the ability to manage your hotbar and inventory quickly but these new controls are slower in every way, and the quick swap for recent used item is not a good trade since before I could quick swap to my first 3 hotbar items on demand.

I've tried everything. Just going to have to wait it out and hope they change it back. I'm playing on a handheld so can't use mouse and keyboard. Unplayable. Just makes no sense. Such bad user design.

Posted (edited)

I'm not going to lie, I absolutely love the utter hatred towards the new controls. It shows the devs that they @%$#ed up. I genuinely don't know how it made it past testing. They really should've had someone who used controller before try it out. Because it's awful!

It's like they saw it was at minimum playable and just went "Eh it works. Let's ship it.". @%$# that mentality. For this big of a drop (To consoles and to PC's) the controls need to be GOOD. You don't want to @%$# off the console players anymore. Trust me on that. 

EDIT: Side note. Most of the people posting here are people who created a forum account just to say how bad the controls are. If your players are willing to do that, you know you @%$#ed up.

Sincerely,

Cactus

Edited by RoughCactus69 (see edit history)

Some of the pc controls have also changed a bit due to the consoification of the game. When jumping on a ladder now if you hold space, you'll fall right off it, you just have to tap it, also there is a sprint lock function now where if u tap the sprint/turbo button while moving it locks sprint/turbo till u stop, the latter is welcomed, the former took some getting used to as at first I could not figure out why my char couldn't jump onto a ladder that was 2 blocks off the ground. Till I was told other people have had that issue in a mods discord and they figured it out that u jump tap jump for it to grab onto it properly. Most people tend to hold jump down till they land as many games lets you control jump height based on keeping the button held.

I do wish 7dtd would do this as well, I never get parkour, because when your char starts being able ot jump 2-3 blocks, it tends to cause the chars head to glitch into the cielings, and there is no way to choose your jump height, once you get the perk, your always jumping 2-3 blocks no matter what.

2 hours ago, RoughCactus69 said:

I'm not going to lie, I absolutely love the utter hatred towards the new controls. It shows the devs that they @%$#ed up. I genuinely don't know how it made it past testing. They really should've had someone who used controller before try it out. Because it's awful!

It's like they saw it was at minimum playable and just went "Eh it works. Let's ship it.". @%$# that mentality. For this big of a drop (To consoles and to PC's) the controls need to be GOOD. You don't want to @%$# off the console players anymore. Trust me on that. 

EDIT: Side note. Most of the people posting here are people who created a forum account just to say how bad the controls are. If your players are willing to do that, you know you @%$#ed up.

Sincerely,

Cactus

Honestly you could say that about most of 7dtd after alpha 16.4, with 1.0 being the biggest offender of "what the hell devs? do you even play your own game and see how unfun/tedious this is?" The skill system alone was a good example of devs not playing their own game, as the skill system while fine in multiplayer as you have other people you can give roles to, in single player it severly hampers the player since you have to do everything yourself, would be less of a issue if they made weapons and tools be a learn by doing action skill, where the action skill determines what level of the assoiated perk you can get. Eg if you wanna use clubs, you attack with clubs at skill 1 u can get pummel pete 1, at skill 10, pummel pete 2, 20 pummel pete 3, 40 for lv4 and 60 or 80 for lv 5. Other perks can stay where they are. you could alternativly lower the stats down to 3. Combat, Survival and Utility. all weapons would be under combat, stuff like stealth and cooking could be under survival, stuff like miner 69'er/motherload would be utility etc.

Edited by Scyris (see edit history)

It’s been awhile since I played primarily waiting for the final release I have over 1000 hours into the game and was disappointed to fire it up and the controls are all different

it takes way to long to switch items or craft and manipulate the controller in a game that doesn’t freeze when you have the inventory open.

One thing I found with jumping on ladders, if I change what's in my hand, I can jump like I normally could. I thought I had to have an empty slot to "grab" the ladder, bit it appears that just changing the item in your hand will work.

On 6/27/2024 at 1:25 AM, Domcho said:

have never used big pic mode... never will ///have enuf crap 3rd parties trying to mess with pc as it is....and we shouldnt have to for that matter... the not fun pimps just need to fix their game and give us proper controller options.... the did say they where going to ... once apon a time

Came here for the same rant as most of you here. Great points were made, yet I fear that the old scheme is gone as the game engine had to be changed to the core due to different requirements for console. That would be sad, as I play this game on PC but exclusively on controller, and I will be forced to give up on it as the new scheme is simply too frustrating (no more hotkeys, miss-clicks and the lot).