I have an idea - delivery drones!

Norse C0de

I have a cunning plan...

What if the drones could carry things to/from your friends? You load the drone up with loot or maybe all the wood you're collecting for your new base, then tell the drone to deliver the goods to a specific friend. When it gets to him, it says something like, "I have a package for you". It then follows your friend around and beeps at him until he interacts with the drone. When he does, it opens an interface which allows him to take or add any cargo he wishes. Then maybe have a button at the bottom of the inventory window that says "return to master". When your friend is done loading/unloading it, he clicks that button and it flies back to you.   Also, you could add storage chests with little radios on them that the drone can interact with. That way you can tell the drone to deliver all the car parts you've scavenged back to the box in your base labeled "car parts", or whatever. You could also make it so that you can remotely request items from those chests and order the drone to go fetch them for you.

The only issue might be as it flies across unloaded chunks. But I think an easy way to deal with that is to have the drone fly to the edge of the loaded chunk and then poof out of existence. Then the theoretical estimated travel time across the unloaded chunks would be calculated. Once that time has past, the drone is loaded back into the destination chunk where a player is that it's going to. That way it uses minimum resources and it looks seemless from the players' perspectives.  Since the drone doesn't fly so fast, it would also give a good reason for you to make a jet engine mod for it that makes it faster. I believe that this would make the drone MUCH more useful and add another fun element to the game.

Hal9000 was working on something similar to that back in 2017. Wasn't exactly what you were stating but it was pretty cool.

I am not sure what went on with it as I never tried it. Looked like it would have been interesting though.

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

I like the idea.  I have liked the feature in some games where you can send a pet back to town to sell rather than going back yourself.  But it does make inventory working you can basically ignore.  Doing a tier 5 and out of space?  Send your drone to someone not doing the quest and they can unload it and you can continue without interruption.  Just do building after building without pause, even without quests and never bother going back to deep off or sell.  

That isn't necessarily a bad thing but I think TFP want inventory management to actually be a thing in this game.

On the other hand, you can already build cheap storage chests and place them wherever you want and unload to those.  But you still need to haul it back later.  Dunno.  I do like the idea.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Gamida said:

I have that one installed in my test game. I just haven't made a drone yet to try it.

Also the Drone Weapons mod, the autominer, the fast travel, and the picture in picture scope.

I guess I have a few of alters mods :)

Alter  bought back the minimap

In my eyes wins one of the modder of the century awards lol more so for the nostalgia of what we use to have in earlier version of the game. 😆 

Now all we need alter to do is bring back the crafting grid lol where you use to have to add things in a certain way to craft something 😉  .

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

2 hours ago, stallionsden said:

Alter  bought back the minimap

In my eyes wins one of the modder of the century awards lol more so for the nostalgia of what we use to have in earlier version of the game. 😆 

Now all we need alter to do is bring back the crafting grid lol where tou use to have to it things in a certain way to craft something 😉  .

yes forgot I was using the minimap as he has it named with Z's at begining of folder. I guess so it loads last...I really like that one too especially since he just updated it.

Yeah, I am not sure if I used that method of crafting but I do still use bloodslingers program to edit some tweaks in my xml items and recipes. So much easier for me than using notepad+

As you can see it was from a while ago (alpha 10 mentioned at top of screen) and it still has the crafting menu you mentioned although I don't have to use that part.

It is only thing I have seen that still works from alpha 10 to this alpha.

image.thumb.png.b252475c9a9a7e81ac589e3f204f0bad.png

image.thumb.png.071435bf014d6d744b63231f79f1a366.png

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)