Bedroll SP idea

Flynn Taggart

Hey guys, im a new player here, 3 friends and I got this game, and its our first time playing it (The PC version for the others, my first time period)

We got a server, and we set it up on the map pregen10K couple weeks ago, i had spent some time on smaller maps in offline worlds learning the game, we play sporadically and randomly, day 20 with 3 hr days, and I just thought to ask as we've built our 4th base, how the spawn system even works. to me the most likely or most practical idea is that we spawned at the nearest bedroll, but it turns out each bedroll we place turns any prior placed one into a purely cosmetic item permanently.

I know this game has to have a lot of positional/distance and accuracy checks based off all the distance settings you can tamper with

So I was wondering, why cant the bedrolls have a functioning radius zone with which if you are inside, you automatically respawn at that bed roll, this will allow the game to retain the "If you dont make it back to your dropped inventory in time, you lose all of it" aspect at longer distanced ranges

Perhaps funpimp might be open to the idea of making a "Camper" vehicle mod for the truck, 1 per player alliance (I have yet to explore open/public servers or environments outside of my closeknit group, nor how that multiplayer dynamic with factions/enemy players works yet) and this camper allows a couple extra seats, some extra storage space for long distance and time hefty travels, as well as offer an open bedroll to all players within that alliance, and adds the option to spawn at said camper on death. but ofcourse impact fuel economy as a trade off, and maybe even remove the ability to sprint speed/"Shift"?

Could be said camper could even have a slow firing semiauto gun on a turret ring on top or allow players to pop out the rooftop vent and be able to fire at birds or what ever

In previous alphas that request came up from time to time. But TFP added an option to spawn near death location in A21, so at least for me 80% of the usefulness of your idea is already covered by that. And we safely can ignore any concerns of "if you don't make it back you lose all of it"

Another thing to consider is that bedrolls also prevent zombies from spawning, making it possible to use a POI as a home base. If you could have infinite bedrolls with that mechanic in place it would be quite OP. 

I am sure there could be certain flags and conditions that could prevent something like that, I'm just thinking of how to keep a spawn point fair, but functional for when you decide to migrate back to an existing location, I mean I love the killing aspect of this game, so its kinda stupid to remove that anyway. and in terms of anti zombie spawning, I mean beds arent the greatest choice to run that mechanic tbh.

I mean I kinda think they could do better on that mechanic, and it not take any much more effort to improve, say putting down fencing+doors that prevents any zombies from spawning on the inside of the wall, allows people to build a small communal base that can actually function as a safe space. or even wards or the like

I think its just kinda stupid that in the odd chance I do die, "spawn on or near my bed" would send me across the map to the other biome i just came from, when "spawn near my body" doesnt seem like a fruitful or viable choice for many situations, where as spawning at the nearest base, atleast allows one to grab some equipment good enough to get them back to their body. And with zombies able to spawn inside a base, the bedroll's anti zombie spawn protection is useless anyway. for instance I went afk while something was working at the workbench. came back to a spawn menu, and I couldnt help but think where was I just at? how? spawned at my bed, and a zombie was in the bedroom eating my buddy so good he had 5 stars to give. so it's not like it's anti zombie spawning mechanic is even practical unless ur base is a 15 block square. 

it gives me the feel certain mechanics are broken, while certain mechanics are misplaced and repressed from being refined all in the name of preventing any chance of "would be OP" from being a thing as opposed to letting it pop up and balancing and ironing it out accordingly

Regarding bedrolls, they allow you to prevent spawning in a small area.  They can be useful in certain situations but you normally want to use a base for safety because even though they won't spawn near the bedroll, they can still wander over to you.  A base is safe from spawns as long as you have a floor because zombies won't spawn on the floor except during blood moon.

As far as being able to die and spawn in a new area, I don't see any reason not to just drop a bedroll if you are far from your base.  They are cheap to make, so if you feel you might die, just do that.  Easy fix.

I do like the option of having maybe 3 spawn points available but it really isn't a big deal because it is so easy to accomplish the same thing.

If they did add more spawn options, I think I would prefer a spawn at vehicle option.  It would give a reason to have multiple vehicles and they have a decent cost to craft or buy, so you won't go crazy like you might with bedrolls.

The thing I don't really like with any multiple spawn location option is that it opens up cheesing the game to quickly jump around the map.  Place spawn points everywhere and then die when you want to travel.  Though, once they add fast travel to the game, that won't really matter.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

On 12/11/2023 at 8:22 PM, Flynn Taggart said:

Perhaps funpimp might be open to the idea of making a "Camper" vehicle mod for the truck

I'd be okay with this, or even just the ability to install a bedroll in any vehicle's mod slot so that the vehicle acted like a bedroll.

Or, even better, just make it so that vehicles were considered to be bedrolls.

On 12/15/2023 at 1:44 AM, Flynn Taggart said:

for instance I went afk while something was working at the workbench. came back to a spawn menu, and I couldnt help but think where was I just at? how? spawned at my bed, and a zombie was in the bedroom eating my buddy so good he had 5 stars to give. so it's not like it's anti zombie spawning mechanic is even practical unless ur base is a 15 block square. 

Together with a buddy you already have two 15 block squares available to safeguard against spawns. Add to that 3 Land Claim Blocks per player so you can safeguard even more space. I assume you are aware of the methods to prevent zombies from wandering in from the streets? 

Even if you have such a big base that it can't be made spawn-safe with all bedrolls and LCBs at your disposal you can always build separate higher floor "panic rooms" that make you afk-safe there.

Using POIs as bases is such a powerful method that saves you tons of materials and time compared to building it yourself, I almost have a guilty conscience when I am using one. Probably it is quite good for the balance of the game that there is a big disadvantage to using big sturdy tier4 POIs as a base.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)