A21 spear hit detection feels like A17's hit detection

FranticDan

I've been giving spears a fair go in A21, since they now have a power attack. But I've noticed a HUGE difference in hit detection when compared to A20. It feels like like A17's hit detection where your crosshair has to be directly on the zombie or you will completely miss.

In A20, spears were a lot more wieldy than they are now in A21 and had a much bigger hit detection.

I wonder if this is a bug or TFP's way of balancing out spears?

It is different from A20, but it is very easy to use.  And it is very powerful in A21 compared to A20.  I can run a tier 6 infestation with just a spear except in certain high volume areas like the loot rooms, so I think it is good as it is.  I even got most of the way through the big prison on tier 6 infestation with just the spear.  Of course, that was a default settings game.  I wouldn't try that on a max difficulty game. I don't think there is anything wrong with having to aim a bit more carefully.  It was too easy to hit in A20, imo.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

It is different from A20, but it is very easy to use.  And it is very powerful in A21 compared to A20.  I can run a tier 6 infestation with just a spear except in certain high volume areas like the loot rooms, so I think it is good as it is.  I even got most of the way through the big prison on tier 6 infestation with just the spear.  Of course, that was a default settings game.  I wouldn't try that on a max difficulty game. I don't think there is anything wrong with having to aim a bit more carefully.  It was too easy to hit in A20, imo.

I definitely agree that it's powerful, I rarely use guns regardless of melee weapon, I play max settings, and save them for panic situations. It hurts a lot when missing with the spear. I've also noticed the range with normal attacks is shorter than power attacks.
I just feel the hit detection is slightly too small, I feel like its the very middle of the crosshair and not the entire crosshair. I play on 1080 with 100% UI margin/size

When you have something like an axe or sledgehammer, that swings across your body in an arc, that’s where it’s very frustrating to have to line up the crosshairs to get a hit. I do think aiming via crosshairs makes sense for weapons that are aimed straight out from your body/eyes. That would include firearms, bows, and spears with which you throw or jab.

I can’t really speak to the difference in A21, because I couldn’t get into using spears before A21. I’m thankful for the redesign, and now I’m using a spear as my main melee weapon. If a spear’s main advantage is superior range, that makes it a very appealing option for me. And I don’t find it more cumbersome to aim than other melee weapons.

Edited by Crater Creator
typo (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

When you have something like an axe or sledgehammer, that swings across your body in an arc, that’s where it’s very frustrating to have to line up the crosshairs to get a hit. I do think aiming via crosshairs makes sense for weapons that are aimed straight out from your body/eyes. That would include firearms, bows, and spears with which you throw or jab.

I can’t really speak to the difference in A21, because I couldn’t get into using spears before A21. I’m thankful for the redesign, and now I’m using a spear as my main melee weapon. If a spear’s main advantage is superior range, that makes it a very appealing option for me. And I don’t find it more cumbersome to aim that other melee weapons.

In a perfect world, it would be cool if we had the same hit detection that zombies do. A crosshair that takes up the entire screen AND the ability to hit through doors and thin walls ;) oh and being able to take off their head by shooting them in the legs (I'm looking at you crit system)

But serious though, yeah it would be nice if all melee weapons had better hit detection based on their swing, Fallout 4 does this very well and feels natural.

If you go back to A20 just to test it, you'll see a clear difference with the spear. Was it too forgiving, kinda, but now its super narrow and I swear some of my hits go right through, even at point blank. I find it MUCH easier to hit using knives than the spear, despite both being a stab animation.

5 hours ago, FranticDan said:

In a perfect world, it would be cool if we had the same hit detection that zombies do. A crosshair that takes up the entire screen AND the ability to hit through doors and thin walls ;) oh and being able to take off their head by shooting them in the legs (I'm looking at you crit system)

But serious though, yeah it would be nice if all melee weapons had better hit detection based on their swing, Fallout 4 does this very well and feels natural.

If you go back to A20 just to test it, you'll see a clear difference with the spear. Was it too forgiving, kinda, but now its super narrow and I swear some of my hits go right through, even at point blank. I find it MUCH easier to hit using knives than the spear, despite both being a stab animation.

I think that with some more practice with the new system, you will find it isn't bad.  I missed occasionally, but it isn't common.  And I can easily mark those down to bad aim and not a bad hit box.  I know that if it was A20, those would hit since you could hit something even if you were clearly missing.  Now, aiming is needed and I think that is a good thing.  The misses I usually end up making are because the zombies are good sometimes at moving their heads right as I attack, and I don't usually aim anywhere else.

On 11/3/2023 at 11:33 PM, FranticDan said:

I I've also noticed the range with normal attacks is shorter than power attacks.

the animation is also different...the normal attack is a quick jab and the power attack is a forceful long attack
it actually makes sense for it to have different reach values