The Dishong Tower Challenge, updated for Alpha 21

Hells_Janitor

On 2/18/2024 at 6:51 AM, Hells_Janitor said:

hmmm - puzzling. I don't currently have another site for downloading the mod, unfortunately.

I'll add that to my "to-do" list :)

i got it..  took a wile to get it completely

and copied it to the mod folder and work just fine..

thanks

me

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RuttedLightning said:

Large storage and writable storage boxes appear to be broken.  I placed one of each and when trying to open the box, the command console opens and locks up the game.  Restarting sometimes fixes the issue and sometimes doesn't.

This might have something to do with the StashBackpack mod. It might need updating - but you can do that yourself if you wish by downloading it from Nexus. I'll get it updated on the repo & mod launcher as soon as I'm able.

I started to get bored with vanilla, so thought I'd try this out again.  Spawns might need tweaking in 1.0, I'm not sure.

I started in the forest biome on default difficulty.  Around noon on day one, as I'm clearing the 2nd floor, I hear some banging below me.  Go downstairs, and am met by 4 feral soldiers.

RIP.  GG.

Lol.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Fisher said:

I started to get bored with vanilla, so thought I'd try this out again.  Spawns might need tweaking in 1.0, I'm not sure.

I started in the forest biome on default difficulty.  Around noon on day one, as I'm clearing the 2nd floor, I hear some banging below me.  Go downstairs, and am met by 4 feral soldiers.

RIP.  GG.

Lol.

Vanilla biome spawns and wandering hordes may have been changed for 1.0, but I see no reason to alter them at this time.

EDIT: I will be removing zombie bears and direwolves in an upcoming update.

Edited by Hells_Janitor
Additional info (see edit history)

so I was trying to get this to work with v1.0 and it isn't working. like I click on new game and it says object instance not set. and I can see my continue game options open at all times, but can't interact with it.

Current update now live:

Edited numbers for gathering gyro parts so maxed out Advanced Engineering isn't required

Edited entitygroups to remove bears and direwolves

Edited primitive armour head gear to have 2 mod slots so the intellect mod and the helmet light can be slotted simultaneously

Localization tweaks

Should be save game safe, and as always, report anu bugs/issues here :) 

so I keep dying from dehydration. I get it's RNG but I NEVER get a cooking pot or books to make a forge. am I missing something or is surviving this just RNG? I've gotten up to the 8th floor surviving on the drinks and soups I find. but can never make my own water.

21 minutes ago, Psychotic.EGG said:

so I keep dying from dehydration. I get it's RNG but I NEVER get a cooking pot or books to make a forge. am I missing something or is surviving this just RNG? I've gotten up to the 8th floor surviving on the drinks and soups I find. but can never make my own water.

Ya, a huge part of this is RNG.  I cleared the entire tower and still couldn't craft a first-aid bandage or make grilled meat.

I'd recommend if you don't have a cooking pot or 5 Forged Ahead magazines by the time you reach the 4th floor kitchen, to just restart.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Psychotic.EGG said:

ok. The loot bags that all the zombies drop contain specific crafting magazines. You may have noticed, that early on, a lot of these bags are empty. That's because the probability for these loot bags to have a magazine in them works the same way as it does in the vanilla game with bookcases/shelves/magazine piles.

So, an example. If you spend perk points in lock picking and/or advanced engineering, the probability for a Utility Worker to have a Forge Ahead magazine in a dropped loot bag increases, as well as the probability for a bookshelf/book pile to contain one of these books too.

All the zombies in the tower have crafting magazines associated with them, and trust me when I tell you that it is perfectly possible to be able to craft a forge before the end of the FIRST DAY, provided you spend your points in the right perks.

Once you have a forge, you don't need to rely on RNG for a cooking pot, as you'll be able to craft one.

This is just one example - the principle applies to every magazine.

There are cash registers and safes throughout the tower too. These are a good source of Dukes, as are the many businessmen zombies. Old cash that you find in cash registers, safes, and drops from the party girl zombie, can be converted to Dukes in your inventory, and then the Dukes can be spent at vending machines, if you're really desperate for water - and there are at least one food and one drink vending machine in the tower, both on the ground floor, near the stairwell.

Also, there is a guaranteed cooking pot on top of the refrigerator in the loot room.

If anything, it's actually easier to manage water in this challenge in v1.0, as the dew collector no longer requires a filter to craft, so you can make as many dew collectors as you like, and water will never be an issue once you get that cooking pot.

I won't deny that RNG plays a factor, but you can skew RNG in your favour by the correct use of perk points.

Edited by Hells_Janitor
Accidentally hit enter before finishing the post. (see edit history)

53 minutes ago, Hells_Janitor said:

at least one food and one drink vending machine in the tower, both on the ground floor, near the stairwell.

Perhaps that's why my current run is more difficult.  Both those vending machines on the ground floor this time were broken.  I scrapped them for steel instead.  I've cleared up to the 11th floor (nurses), and every vending machine has either been broken or drinks.

I've already finished the challenge in 1.0.  Just trying a different approach this time.

Water is easy, but food is the biggest problem.  Back in A21 I was living on meat stew.  Marlene (I think) doesn't seem to drop as many books this time.  Relying on finding either a corn or potato seed that I can at least live off of.

Edit:  Also was wondering if there is a GUARANTEED acid spawn anywhere in the building?  Chem stations disappear when looted and don't always give you one.  You need 3 acid for the wheels.

Edited by Fisher (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Fisher said:

Perhaps that's why my current run is more difficult.  Both those vending machines on the ground floor this time were broken.  I scrapped them for steel instead.  I've cleared up to the 11th floor (nurses), and every vending machine has either been broken or drinks.

I've already finished the challenge in 1.0.  Just trying a different approach this time.

Water is easy, but food is the biggest problem.  Back in A21 I was living on meat stew.  Marlene (I think) doesn't seem to drop as many books this time.  Relying on finding either a corn or potato seed that I can at least live off of.

Edit:  Also was wondering if there is a GUARANTEED acid spawn anywhere in the building?  Chem stations disappear when looted and don't always give you one.  You need 3 acid for the wheels.

Acid can be crafted, in the campfire, with a beaker, once you have enough Grease Monkey books. It can also drop from the Mutated zombie, and it is also the reason why you start with the Wasteland Treasures "acid" book.

As far as the vending machines go, that was an initial error on my part, as I added the wrong block to the tower. It's been fixed in a recent update.

The cooking books don't seem to be as prevalent as before, but a point in Master Chef can help with that. As far as seeds go, in my testing, I found plenty of them, and they can be crafted WITHOUT needing any seed books, and they only require two crops to make one seed.

• 2 weeks later...

This just seems unreasonably difficult. I played on the lowest setting (regular forest, default zombie difficulty) and died to a feral soldier within my first hour. I would have starved moments later anyway, since I didn't get any food in the first 2.5 floors, nor any crafting ingredients for farm plots.

Are the regular zombies supposed to be able to wander in off the dirt? Did you change something to enable feral soldier zombies to spawn when the player is at level 2?

5 hours ago, Limonene0 said:

This just seems unreasonably difficult. I played on the lowest setting (regular forest, default zombie difficulty) and died to a feral soldier within my first hour. I would have starved moments later anyway, since I didn't get any food in the first 2.5 floors, nor any crafting ingredients for farm plots.

Are the regular zombies supposed to be able to wander in off the dirt? Did you change something to enable feral soldier zombies to spawn when the player is at level 2?

"unreasonably difficult"? It's called the Dishong Tower "challenge" for a reason - it's not meant to be a cakewalk. 

No food in the first 2.5 floors? There's food on the second floor, in the small cafe area. How you manage your food is one of the challenges.

Ingredients for farm plots? There are farm plots all around the ground floor, which can be used if you break a window (and the window frame).

And the zombies can wander anywhere they choose - I didn't change anything about wild zombie spawns, and feral zombies, while tough, can be dealt with without too much trouble.

Maybe this challenge isn't for you?

This challenge can be, and has been, completed in the toughest biome (the wasteland), on insane difficulty, nightmare speed, and feral sense on.

I don't know what else to tell you 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Hells_Janitor said:

"unreasonably difficult"? It's called the Dishong Tower "challenge" for a reason - it's not meant to be a cakewalk. 

No food in the first 2.5 floors? There's food on the second floor, in the small cafe area. How you manage your food is one of the challenges.

Ingredients for farm plots? There are farm plots all around the ground floor, which can be used if you break a window (and the window frame).

And the zombies can wander anywhere they choose - I didn't change anything about wild zombie spawns, and feral zombies, while tough, can be dealt with without too much trouble.

Maybe this challenge isn't for you?

This challenge can be, and has been, completed in the toughest biome (the wasteland), on insane difficulty, nightmare speed, and feral sense on.

I don't know what else to tell you 🤷‍♂️

But did you change the way they spawn? The feral soldier definitely came in from outside, because I had cleared everything on the first two floors. In the base game, you can't get ferals at player level 2. And definitely not feral soldiers.

I looted every container, including any food that would have been there. The only food in my inventory at the end of that was the starter chili and two bottles of water.

Are the farm plots different here? I've already uninstalled the mod, so I can't go back and check. Normally, when you find a farm plot in a POI, it basically functions as decorated dirt. If you dig it up, you only get dirt.

6 minutes ago, Limonene0 said:

But did you change the way they spawn? The feral soldier definitely came in from outside, because I had cleared everything on the first two floors. In the base game, you can't get ferals at player level 2. And definitely not feral soldiers.

I looted every container, including any food that would have been there. The only food in my inventory at the end of that was the starter chili and two bottles of water.

Are the farm plots different here? I've already uninstalled the mod, so I can't go back and check. Normally, when you find a farm plot in a POI, it basically functions as decorated dirt. If you dig it up, you only get dirt.

I did not change the way they spawn. The vanilla base game may have changed the biome spawns for zombies, but it was not anything I did.

I'll assume that you either missed the Shamway crates and large food pile in the cupboard behind the first small kitchen area you find on the upper floor, or you didn't notice the food that you loot from those crates and the food pile. Your comment about farmplots is demonstrably false. The vanilla game's farmplots - a vast majority of them at least, have always been able to be used to grow crops.

38 minutes ago, Hells_Janitor said:

I did not change the way they spawn. The vanilla base game may have changed the biome spawns for zombies, but it was not anything I did.

I'll assume that you either missed the Shamway crates and large food pile in the cupboard behind the first small kitchen area you find on the upper floor, or you didn't notice the food that you loot from those crates and the food pile. Your comment about farmplots is demonstrably false. The vanilla game's farmplots - a vast majority of them at least, have always been able to be used to grow crops.

That would be an incorrect assumption.

35 minutes ago, djeeo said:

any update to work in 1.0 Stable? After last update it dont work anymore

gotta download the 1.0 version - linked on the first page of this post, or from 7DaystoDiemods.com 

24 minutes ago, Limonene0 said:

That would be an incorrect assumption.

What is? The farm plots? It's not an assumption - it's a FACT

1 hour ago, Limonene0 said:

Don't dig them up, use them where they are. Just like in vanilla, if you dig up a non-player farm plot you just get clay.

The spawns from outside are based on the biome you select AND Dishong itself being a T5 POI, I've had a demolition zombie spawn, though EXTREMELY rare. And since Dishong it also a city based POI, wilderness spawns like ferals will spawn.

There's a kitchen 2 floors up from the ground with a food pile and 2 shamway boxes. Additionally, get used to be hungry and starve, it's part of the challenge, it takes a VERY long time to die from starvation, 1HP/40secs.

Exactly the same as vanilla. Smash the windows out and plant crops like normal

12 hours ago, Limonene0 said:

This just seems unreasonably difficult. I played on the lowest setting (regular forest, default zombie difficulty) 

v1.0 has definitely made the base game considerably harder. However, I can assure you it's possible to beat the on Insane, Nightmare, Feral Sense, Wasteland.

I know this because I beat it on these very settings by day 9