The Dishong Tower Challenge, updated for Alpha 21

Hells_Janitor

image.thumb.png.58e6dba843da74577e28346d0b908ad0.png

WELCOME TO THE DISHONG TOWER CHALLENGE!

Have you got what it takes to survive the tower challenge?

This challenge places you, a lone survivor, in the eponymous Dishong Tower, a towering edifice of death incarnate. Your only means of escape is to gather everything you need to be able to craft a gyrocopter and make your escape from the rooftop to the nearby settlement. You have one life. Make it count.

A mini overhaul mod, re-imagined for Alpha 21. One tower, one trader, one means of escape.

Four custom worlds, each a different biome, so you can choose your starting "difficulty" - Forest, Desert, Snow, or the ultimate challenge, Wasteland.

Custom-edited Dishong Tower POI, giving you everything you need to be able to complete your quest.

Custom questline, guiding you on your way.

Custom HUD, and in-game options added for toggling crosshair visibility, health bar visibility, etc. Pause the game, and look for "Video", then the "Customize" tab.

Challenge Rules:

1: You must enter the Dishong Tower immediately (being on the front porch counts as being in) and cannot leave thereafter.

2: The rubble on the ground around the tower is NOT part of the tower, and as such may NOT be used to support any structures, or to grow any crops, unless you can do this WITHOUT touching it.

3: You may build bridges off the side of the building to reach things, but those bridges must support themselves and cannot touch the ground.

4: You may NOT mine or dig under the building.

5: All default game settings, unless you want to turn up the size of the hordes. It's recommended to have loot respawn set to 7 days and turn airdrops OFF.

6: If you die, the game is over.

7: You must survive until you are able to build a gyrocopter and fly off the roof.

Changes from the vanilla game, to aid you in your quest:

Wasteland Treasures volume 5 now has a 50% chance to give acid from an "open" wooden pill case.

Cement mixers can be harvested for an engine and gas cans.

Cement mixer loot contains Stone, clay soil, sand, and oil shale. (you must decide if you wish to destroy the cement mixer for the engine, or leave it intact and wait for a loot respawn)

Tablesaws can be harvested for a battery.

Added a guaranteed battery ... somewhere ...

Worklights and projectors can be harvested for headlights, work lights have a 10% chance of dropping a car battery.

Trees give plant fibres; potted plants can be harvested for plant fibres, clay soil, and a 10% chance of an oak seed.

Destroyed stone terrain blocks when mined give 8 clay in addition to stone and can be used to plant trees.

Big Momma, Tourist, and Moe zombies can be looted for bones and rotting flesh, and a 10% chance of fat.

Hazmat zombies can be looted for nitrate and bones.

Nurse zombies can be looted for bones, nitrate, and a 10% chance of antibiotics & 10% chance of medical skill magazines.

Lab Worker zombies can looted for bones, nitrate, a 10% chance of a medical skill magazine, and a 10% chance of a beaker.

Lumberjack zombies can be looted for snowballs.

Biker zombies can be looted for oil & vehicle skill magazines.

Utility Worker zombies can be looted for a 10% chance of workstation skill magazines.

Fat Cop zombie can be looted for a 10% chance of handgun and club magazines, and a 10% chance of acid.

NEW: Mutated zombie can be looted for a 10% chance of acid.

Janitor zombies can be looted for a 10% chance of Harvesting, Repair, Salvage, Electrician & Sledgehammer skill magazines.

Thug zombies can be looted for a 10% chance of Knuckles, Blades & Shotgun skill magazines.

Soldier zombies can be looted for a 10% chance of Rifles, Machine guns, Armour & Explosives skill magazines.

Arlene, Darlene, and Marlene looted can be harvested for a 10% chance of Food skill magazines.

Boe, Joe & Yo zombies can be looted for a 10% chance of Spears & Bows skill magazines.

Tom Clark & Steve can be looted for a 10% chance of Robotics & Traps skill magazines.

NEW: All the zombies listed above that can be looted for magazines start with a base percentage of 10%, with no perk points assigned. It now increases by 5% per perk point assigned, up to a maximum of a 35% chance for a maxed-out perk level, relevant to the magazine and the perk.

Example: Lockpick skill starts at 10% of harvesting a workstation magazine from a Utility Worker, with zero points in the lockpicking perk. With lockpicking maxed out, there would then be a 35% chance of harvesting a magazine.

EDIT: Heavy and Light armour perks have been adjusted (level 1 jumps to 17%, up from 15%, and then 23% for level 2, 29% for level 3, with level 4 at 35%).

Master Chef is now 10% base, 18% at level 1, 25% at level 2, and 35% at level 3.

Lockpicking (levels 1, 2, and 3 are now 15%, 25%, and 35% respectively)

Party Girl can be looted for a 10% chance of old cash.

Businessman zombies can be looted for a 10% chance of Dukes.

Wight zombies can be looted for a 10% chance of a Forgettin' Elixir and/or a magazine bundle.

Pumpkin bread food and health values have been increased.

Coal can be crafted from wood in a campfire.

Seed magazines no longer appear in loot, nor are they needed for seed crafting.

*Most* containers do not downgrade on looting.

Loot containers no longer have to be "reseeded" (or manually restocked) to force loot to respawn. (Credit WookieNookie)

Paper has been removed from bookcase loot.

Increased probability for vehicle books and workstation books IF perk points are used in their respective skills.

Reduced the number of books required for the gyrocopter, chem station, and crucible.

Old cash can be converted into Dukes.

ALL arrows & bolts can be turned back into feathers.

Acid can be crafted from car batteries or crafted from resources. A chem station is required for both of these.

Reduced requirements for some scarce resources like glue, farm plots, and oil.

Lowered requirements for some food to be crafted into seeds, only two items per seed, reduced from five.

Honey and eggs added to vending machines, vending machine types have been randomised, but one of each type is guaranteed.

Included JUST ONE guaranteed water filter spawn.

Included lockable slots for the backpack. (press 'X' to lock individual slots) (Credit WookieNookie)

Sleeper respawns are configurable from a main menu option. You can now set zombies to respawn in the Tower every one, three, five, seven, nine, eleven, thirteen, or fifteen days. (Credit WookieNookie)

NEW "difficulty" setting - mod now comes with 4 maps, one for each biome. Forest is the easiest, followed by Desert, Snow, and lastly Wasteland, the hardest.

Download from here: HellsJanitor/Dishong-Tower-Challenge: All files and folders needed to run the mod (github.com)

Thanks to w00kien00kie for the custom code, Khelldon for the custom menu, Frantic_Dan for ideas & xpath help, Zilox, Midnight Designer, SphereII, and Pitchsilent for the original base mod and concept.

Notes:

You WILL need to DISABLE EAC for this mod to run.

NOT tested in a multiplayer environment, but assuming your server provider allows for .dll files to be uploaded to your server, you should be fine. (as a side note, multiplayer is not necessarily advised. Clearing the Tower will be easier, but keeping everyone alive will not)

For a hosted game, ALL parties involved should have the mod installed. For servers, it NEEDS to be installed BOTH client AND server-side.

Edited by Hells_Janitor
cleaned up footnote text, in-game HUD customization added, NEW progression mechanic added for magazine harvesting, adjustments for perk trees that have fewer than 5 levels, zombie harvesting replaced with zombie looting (see edit history)

5 hours ago, rautamiekka said:

Would be in your best interest to concentrate on multiplayer 1st, I imagine accounting for singleplayer will be simpler afterwards.

The mod was never designed for multiplayer to begin with, and I didn't say it wouldn't work, I just said it wasn't tested or recommended for multiplayer.

You could always give it a shot and report back though :)

1 hour ago, rautamiekka said:

My point exactly.

I'm not even sure you've made your point at all.

Why would it be "in my best interest" to "concentrate on multiplayer first", when the mod is designed around a single-player game?

By that rationale, you could argue that it's "in my best interest" to focus on just about anything else, other than what the mod was originally designed to do.

Why would I do that either? <--This is a rhetorical question that doesn't require an answer.

5 hours ago, FranticDan said:

Some perks only have 3 and 4 levels, for example lockpicking and master chef have 3 levels, so max drop chance for those is 25%

Indeed they do ...

Pushed a fix for Heavy and Light Armor perks - they start at 10% base, next level is 20% (up from 15%), to a max of 35% for level 4

Master Chef and Lockpicking bonuses are now 10% base, next levels are 15%, 25% & 35% respectively.

Good catch Dan :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Just some feedback for ya.  Take it for what you will...

I've played this mod for a bit now.  I'm probably not playing as you intended, but enjoying it nonetheless.  I disabled horde nights and playing with longer days and more daylight hours.

Anyway, as for feedback.  First thing is that your slot locking mod didn't work for me.  I replaced it with Khaine's lockable slots and that works fine.

I appreciate the arrow > feather recipe, but I'd really like a bolt > feather recipe.  Feathers are nearly impossible in this pack.  Even though I've specced into bows, I've not found a single arrow or bow part.  I've found a total of 7 feathers but lots of bolts.  Perhaps an alternate arrow recipe like there is in Darkness Falls which uses cloth instead of feathers.

By far, the biggest struggle is water.  I know you say there's a water filter somewhere but I still haven't found it.  I assume it's on the roof since I'm currently only on level 12.  The problem with water being such a factor is there is no meat available.  As such, you're left with vegetable based foods which mostly require a bottle of water for anything decent.  It would be nice if that "guaranteed" water filter could be found a little earlier.  I've got plenty of trees and crops growing.  But the struggle for water is real.  Buying it from the vending machines isn't really an option since I've only accumulated about 600 dukes so far.

Also, there maybe something amiss with loot tables.  In all my years playing 7D2D, I've never seen a beverage cooler give me charred meat.

One last thing if you could clarify:  I put a point into the skill which harvests more materials with a knife from animals.  Does this affect the books you get when harvesting dead zombies?  It appeared to, but I'm not sure.

Cheers!

5 hours ago, Fisher said:

I appreciate the arrow > feather recipe, but I'd really like a bolt > feather recipe.  Feathers are nearly impossible in this pack.  Even though I've specced into bows, I've not found a single arrow or bow part.  I've found a total of 7 feathers but lots of bolts.  Perhaps an alternate arrow recipe like there is in Darkness Falls which uses cloth instead of feathers.

I have been doing some balancing/tweaking here and there, and there will be a recipe update so ALL arrows/bolts can be turned back into feathers. I hadn't considered cloth as a recipe for arrows though - something to think about, as cloth is very prevalent.

Also, there maybe something amiss with loot tables.  In all my years playing 7D2D, I've never seen a beverage cooler give me charred meat.

All the "container" loot tables are vanilla - so finding charred meat in a cooler is absolutely possible.

By far, the biggest struggle is water.  I know you say there's a water filter somewhere but I still haven't found it.  I assume it's on the roof since I'm currently only on level 12.  The problem with water being such a factor is there is no meat available.  As such, you're left with vegetable based foods which mostly require a bottle of water for anything decent.  It would be nice if that "guaranteed" water filter could be found a little earlier.  I've got plenty of trees and crops growing.  But the struggle for water is real.  Buying it from the vending machines isn't really an option since I've only accumulated about 600 dukes so far.

Yes, you're right, the struggle for water is real - and yes, your assumption is correct. However, making the water filter available sooner would potentially make the challenge MUCH easier, and with the water filter where it is, there is an actual reason to go and clear the roof. Previous versions of the mod had no real reason to ever go and clear the roof, as the only thing up there was zombies.

One last thing if you could clarify:  I put a point into the skill which harvests more materials with a knife from animals.  Does this affect the books you get when harvesting dead zombies?  It appeared to, but I'm not sure.

A point into The Huntsman perk shouldn't affect any books harvested from zombies.

I appreciate the feedback :)

On 10/5/2023 at 6:16 PM, Hells_Janitor said:

Big Momma, Tourist, and Moe zombies can be harvested for bones and rotting flesh.

Hazmat zombies can be harvested for nitrate and bones.

Nurse zombies can be harvested for bones, nitrate, and a 10% chance of antibiotics & 10% chance of medical skill magazines.

Lab Worker zombies can harvested for bones, nitrate, a 10% chance of a medical skill magazine, and a 10% chance of a beaker.

Lumberjack zombies can be harvested for snowballs.

Biker zombies can be harvested for oil & vehicle skill magazines.

Utility Worker zombies can be harvested for a 10% chance of workstation skill magazines.

Fat Cop zombie can be harvested for a 10% chance of handgun and club magazines, and a 10% chance of acid.

Janitor zombies can be harvested for a 10% chance of Harvesting, Repair, Salvage, Electrician & Sledgehammer skill magazines.

Thug zombies can be harvested for a 10% chance of Knuckles, Blades & Shotgun skill magazines.

Soldier zombies can be harvested for a 10% chance of Rifles, Machine guns, Armour & Explosives skill magazines.

Arlene, Darlene, and Marlene zombies can be harvested for a 10% chance of Food skill magazines.

Boe, Joe & Yo zombies can be harvested for a 10% chance of Spears & Bows skill magazines.

Tom Clark & Steve can be harvested for a 10% chance of Robotics & Traps skill magazines.

On 10/5/2023 at 6:16 PM, Hells_Janitor said:

Party Girl can be harvested for a 10% chance of old cash.

Businessman zombies can be harvested for a 10% chance of Dukes.

Wight zombies can be harvested for a 10% chance of a Forgettin' Elixir and/or a magazine bundle.

MAJOR GAMEPLAY CHANGES!!

All zombies that could previously be harvested can now be LOOTED instead.

Also pushed some POI tweaks, localization changes/additions, new loading screen tips, and some balance tweaks.

Make sure you get the latest version of the mod :)

13 hours ago, Hells_Janitor said:

All zombies that could previously be harvested can now be LOOTED instead.

I'm not so sure this is working as intended.  They now turn into restocking vessels when you loot them.  Unless the idea is to have a massive collection of corpses laying around.  I'll have to be strategic about where I kill them.  Haha.

EDIT:  They despawn eventually, so I guess that won't be a problem after all.  I thought I'd be able to loot them every 7 days...

Thank you for the alternate feather recipe from bolts!

Edited by Fisher (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Fisher said:

I'm not so sure this is working as intended.  They now turn into restocking vessels when you loot them.  Unless the idea is to have a massive collection of corpses laying around.  I'll have to be strategic about where I kill them.  Haha.

EDIT:  They despawn eventually, so I guess that won't be a problem after all.  I thought I'd be able to loot them every 7 days...

Thank you for the alternate feather recipe from bolts!

I know they say "Restocking, please wait ..." when they're corpses. Eventually, I'm going to try and get that fixed so the dead zombies say something different.

Like you said, they do despawn eventually, so it's not *that* big a deal, but I'd still like to polish it a bit further.

10 hours ago, Brugas said:

New working title:
7 Days to Die Hard!

dhardiphy.gif

I like this :)

• 2 weeks later...

CHANGELOG v 1.0.5:

Zombie corpses no longer lootable - they now drop an entity-specific red loot bag.
Tweaked container loot respawn - it now shows a timer for when the container will be lootable again.
Removed non-essential vehicle parts from loot & crafting.
Removed beds and bedrolls from crafting.
Removed LCB from crafting.
Removed treasure maps from loot.
Acid can now be made in the campfire, but a beaker is a required tool. Can also be crafted cheaper in the chem station. Unlocked with Grease Monkey.
Mod-specific loading screen tips.
Localization tweaks.
Perk books can now drop from zombies along with magazines. The chance of a perk book increases with the relevant perk points spent, just like skill magazines.
Loot tables adjusted accordingly, so certain zombies have a chance to drop certain perk books, just like skill magazines.
Removed Better Barter, Daring Adventurer and Charismatic Nature from the intellect skill tree.
Number of Dukes/old cash from Businessman/Party Girl is increased, probability increased from 10% to 20%.
Slight increase in oil shale from cement mixer loot.
Increased chance of antibiotics from nurses per perk spoint spent in Physician, up to a max chance of 35%.
Base chance of skill magazines from radiated zombies increased from 10% to 13%.
Changed the quest requirements for gathering gyro parts to reflect maxed-out Grease Monkey (removed a possible soft-lock)
Antibiotics loot probability from nurses now tied to Physician perk.
Player placed workstations can be picked up with no need for a landclaim block. (Workstation MUST be empty of all tools, items, and materials for this to work)

Just a quick question about the latest installments...
Do they include the mod enforcement for this challenge (already built in)? Or is it still being worked on to be useable with latest game version? I know the other thread was talking about it, but I haven't heard anything else about it since this thread came up and your installments have been rolling out.  Great work btw!

7 hours ago, Brugas said:

Just a quick question about the latest installments...
Do they include the mod enforcement for this challenge (already built in)? Or is it still being worked on to be useable with latest game version? I know the other thread was talking about it, but I haven't heard anything else about it since this thread came up and your installments have been rolling out.  Great work btw!

I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean when you say "mod enforcement" ...

1 hour ago, Hells_Janitor said:

I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean when you say "mod enforcement" ...

Oh I meant the mod from ocbmaurice on the other thread. Didn't know if you had something incorporated in the latest version.

On 10/26/2023 at 11:13 AM, Hells_Janitor said:

Acid can now be made in the campfire, but a beaker is a required tool. Can also be crafted cheaper in the chem station. Unlocked with Grease Monkey.

Ignore this - I'm an idiot :p 

Acid can be made in the campfire/chem station, but it unlocks with 35 Vehicle Crafting magazines.

Edited by Hells_Janitor (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

It was an enjoyable challenge in the end.  I ended up turning off zombie respawns and instead ran a horde night every 4 days.  This is what my stairwell looked like after the 5th blood moon.  Yes, those bags put me over the top for all 100 required books to make the gyro.

I've watched a few twitch people all struggle with this.  It's like they don't understand basic pathing in this game.  Anyway, good job!

stairwell.jpg

1 hour ago, Fisher said:

It was an enjoyable challenge in the end.  I ended up turning off zombie respawns and instead ran a horde night every 4 days.  This is what my stairwell looked like after the 5th blood moon.  Yes, those bags put me over the top for all 100 required books to make the gyro.

I've watched a few twitch people all struggle with this.  It's like they don't understand basic pathing in this game.  Anyway, good job!

stairwell.jpg

Nicely done :)

Hello, a great idea for fashion!
But I think it is not passable, there are too many random things (safes, lockers, their number is random) the lack of the possibility of farming on a bloody night, the constant fear that zombies will demolish the 1st floor and the building will collapse. It does not work to repair the building, you need a very large level for this. I suggest adding traps and Molotov cocktails to the boxes or some loot, adding boxes with beds or putting somewhere higher beds for the base (VERY LITTLE LAND for creating beds and growing food) Add a box at least 1 with frames to fix the 1st floor.
1) leave it as it is and add boxes
2) change so that not only the boxes are updated, but the entire floor is updated (including all the decorations)
3) add 3 more to the new building (square) 1 building is connected by 2 cranes from different sides the following buildings are connected by a bridge on the 1st floor (so that each time it was necessary to walk the whole building entirely) and you have a choice to appear after passing 1 building, you had a choice which building to go to. And turn off the recovery of production