had someone tried make a map with >PEP-POIExpansionPack-V21.1.1.2 (a21) and ADD other buildings?

7daysOfFun

i want to use this mappapck (in the past iv used it, its cool)

but i must overwrite the rwgmixer (its ok, but why this?)

also my question...how i add extra pois? must i write them in this list? "Localization.txt"

or copy them only in the poi directory? (my extra downloaded houses from nexus)

is there a possibility to say to the mapmaker PUT EVERY HOUSE from POI directory in the game ? (in the last versions <a20 it was a 50/50 change that the buildings were in the map)

---i want to create freaky maps 10k, like very big cities, BIG pois on the mountains, city must be surrounded from rivers, the map in all must be borders water, the traders shoud not be in the cities, on the mountains woud be cool.....but i think my wishes are 2 heavy for the mapmaker---

If you're playing DF then you will want PEP's rwgmixer.xml file as it matches up with the DF world generation goals.

If you're just using the PEP POIs in an otherwise Vanilla game, then I'd view the PEP rwgmixer.xml file as optional and I'd remove it. I might have missed something, but it looked to me it changes many of the settlement settings. They also take an approach to establishing weights and biases for POIs that is different from Vanilla's approach but great for DF.

To add an extra POI that came to you as just 6 files, place those files in LocalPrefabs unless they came as part of a modlet, in which case put the modlet in your Mods folder. You do not need entries in Localization.txt but if you have those entries then those entries will show up on the Danger Meter.

It is not possible with RWG to force every POI to appear. RWG is more complex than that. You can make conditions more likely to feature everything (large map, many settlements, many wilderness POIs), but the appearance of POIs depends on RWG creating viable places to put them and that comes down to the types of settlements it picks, the number and size of districts in those settlements, and then the Tiles it picks to fill out those districts.

You might be able to get close to your goals and then have to be willing to edit the world's prefabs.xml file and/or use the World Generator to get perfection. You might also explore Teragon (and alternative map generator) and see if it can get you closer to your goal, or not.

7 hours ago, zztong said:

If you're playing DF then you will want PEP's rwgmixer.xml file as it matches up with the DF world generation goals.

>> what u mean with DF ?

If you're just using the PEP POIs in an otherwise Vanilla game, then I'd view the PEP rwgmixer.xml file as optional and I'd remove it. I might have missed something, but it looked to me it changes many of the settlement settings. They also take an approach to establishing weights and biases for POIs that is different from Vanilla's approach but great for DF.

To add an extra POI that came to you as just 6 files, place those files in LocalPrefabs unless they came as part of a modlet, in which case put the modlet in your Mods folder. You do not need entries in Localization.txt but if you have those entries then those entries will show up on the Danger Meter.

>>> okay i copy the files in poi and let it run?

7 hours ago, zztong said:

It is not possible with RWG to force every POI to appear. RWG is more complex than that. You can make conditions more likely to feature everything (large map, many settlements, many wilderness POIs), but the appearance of POIs depends on RWG creating viable places to put them and that comes down to the types of settlements it picks, the number and size of districts in those settlements, and then the Tiles it picks to fill out those districts.

You might be able to get close to your goals and then have to be willing to edit the world's prefabs.xml file and/or use the World Generator to get perfection. You might also explore Teragon (and alternative map generator) and see if it can get you closer to your goal, or not.

ok i try this to create a map, then a take a look

zztong i know you..you have designed some cool buildings i had in my last map :)

14 minutes ago, 7daysOfFun said:

okay i copy the files in poi and let it run?

If you download random POIs from the Nexus (or any source) that come to you as 6 files:

example.blocks.nim

example.ins

example.jpg

example.mesh

example.tts

example.xml

Then those go into your LocalPrefabs folder.

But if you've gotten a modlet, like PEP or ZZTong-Prefabs, then you put the modlet in your Mods folder. If you really, really wanted to, you could copy POI files from a modlet and put them in LocalPrefabs, but you run the risk of missing something important. For instance, a POI can depend upon a custom Tile and/or custom Parts that are also found in the modlet. If you just pull out the POI then you might get an incomplete POI (with none of its parts) or you might never see the POI in the world because the custom Tile isn't there to support it. I don't recommend busting apart a POI modlet unless you're really familiar with that kind of thing.

If you just got the 6 files from somewhere, then no additional Parts or Tiles are involved.

2 hours ago, zztong said:

Then those go into your LocalPrefabs folder.

But if you've gotten a modlet, like PEP or ZZTong-Prefabs, then you put the modlet in your Mods folder.

i dont understand whats the difference is between localprefabs and mods directory (isnt the mod directory for all things but not houses?)

let me explain what my brain thinks..

1>when i use the vanilla standard map editior i must copy the houses (from nexus) in the localprefabs directory

or

2> when i use the pep exp pack with rwgmixer i must put the downloaded houses in mods?

the last map generator in a20 iv used a lot of your houses all copied in the localprefabs directory and worked fine (i had to expansion pack too)

we play on server and everybody had to download the new generated localprefabs directory to his computer in a20

or example: i install now this expansion pack with the 380 buildings...and i have ~50downloaded houses..where shoud i copy this 50 in?

(thx for your patient)

29 minutes ago, 7daysOfFun said:

i dont understand whats the difference is between localprefabs and mods directory (isnt the mod directory for all things but not houses?)

1>when i use the vanilla standard map editior i must copy the houses (from nexus) in the localprefabs directory

or

2> when i use the pep exp pack with rwgmixer i must put the downloaded houses in mods?

the last map generator in a20 iv used a lot of your houses all copied in the localprefabs directory and worked fine (i had to expansion pack too)

we play on server and everybody had to download the new generated localprefabs directory to his computer in a20

or example: i install now this expansion pack with the 380 buildings...and i have ~50downloaded houses..where shoud i copy this 50 in?

(thx for your patient)

Here is an example, from my trader mod:

image.png.ca23c739b673859f47863f0a6b806f1c.png

As you can see, I have a Prefabs folder in my mod.  This is because I created new blocks for vending machines so to insure everything loads correctly, I included it inside my mod and not installed in LocalPrefabs.

12 hours ago, 7daysOfFun said:

A modlet can come with additional configuration. When you copied houses/POIs from my modlet to the LocalPrefabs directory, you actually lost content. You just didn't notice it was gone. BFT2020 shows you another example where the modlet contains additional assets.

LocalPrefabs doesn't support additional configuration, Parts, or assets.

iv used a lot of your houses all copied in the localprefabs directory and worked fine

Unless you also included my modlet, those POIs would not have had any of their Parts. You likely didn't know to expect them so you didn't miss them. The Parts are found in my modlet's Parts folder and the last I checked a Parts folder in LocalPrefabs is not found. You may also not get some of the Tiles, or not get them as often, as Tiles can sometimes have entries in a modlet's rwgmixer.xml file.

install now this expansion pack with the 380 buildings...and i have ~50downloaded houses..where shoud i copy this 50 in?

If PEP is the expansion pack, put PEP in your Mods folder because it is a modlet.

The ~50 houses depends. Did they come as a modlet or are they each just 6 files? Modlets go in the Mods folder. Individual POIs that came as 6 files go in LocalPrefabs.

16 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Here is an example, from my trader mod:

image.png.ca23c739b673859f47863f0a6b806f1c.png

As you can see, I have a Prefabs folder in my mod.  This is because I created new blocks for vending machines so to insure everything loads correctly, I included it inside my mod and not installed in LocalPrefabs.

ahhh okkkkay

that explains everything

i repeat >when u have standard houses u can put it in prefabs, has the hosue specials in it (like blocks or something u must put it in mods)

4 hours ago, zztong said:

The ~50 houses depends. Did they come as a modlet or are they each just 6 files? Modlets go in the Mods folder. Individual POIs that came as 6 files go in LocalPrefabs.

ahhh thx for explaining

the ~50 houses woud be the last uploaded in nexus under this (i woud download all for a21)

a question only for u zztong, iv copied your houses in prefabs and u say they have specials in it ...can u say me perhaps one special thing iv missed but never seen?

other: how the mapmaker "knows" thats are houses in "new" prefabs and mods? he scans >both directories< when making a map?

1 hour ago, 7daysOfFun said:

a question only for u zztong, iv copied your houses in prefabs and u say they have specials in it ...can u say me perhaps one special thing iv missed but never seen?

Nearly every POI I make has Parts. A part can be something like a horse trailer, a semi-truck, an HVAC unit on a roof, a ladder, port-a-potties, land mines, a tree trunk, a checkpoint with zombies, barbwire, barricades, beehives, billboards, bus stops, campers, culverts, deliveries, driveways that connect to tiles, sections of fence, firewood, guard rails, hay bales, pallets of construction materials, railroad cars, water towers, cellphone towers, storm cellars, tents, scaffolding, and more.

Basically, any content that I want to have a chance of appearing, but that does not always appear, is a part. Parts are how I try to keep the same POI from looking the same from placement to placement on a map, or even from map to map. Without the parts, you lose a lot of variety, sometimes you lose some zombies, and sometimes you lose some loot.

Here's the front parking lot of zztong_store_s_01 with Parts and without Parts. Everything shown with a blue bounding box is a Part. I've got some POIs with 20+ Parts.

20230822134155_1.thumb.jpg.c95005159597c15548b09fb137f39511.jpg

20230822134204_1.thumb.jpg.eb82c8ab3b58e311a6818f0d7a811d82.jpg

other: how the mapmaker "knows" thats are houses in "new" prefabs and mods? he scans >both directories< when making a map?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Is "mapmaker" a program like RWG or Teragon, or a person who is making the map?

RWG and Teragon both have ways to signal. RWG knows to look in LocalPrefabs and in Modlets to find POIs. That's the appeal of modlets to me as I can deliver a self-contained ready to use package. Teragon needs you to tell it about modlets.

A person making a map manually has to know the modlets and their tools. If they go pry apart modlets then they need to know what they're doing in terms of how POIs are built beyond just using the Prefab Editor to make the 6 files. They have to know the entire interface between POIs and their world builder of choice or they risk only getting partial POI content.

Paradise Plaza

I looked into this one. This is a very nice POI made by VoltraLux, and they were nice enough to package it all up into a modlet for you. Consider the contents:

FILE CONTENTS

📁 MegaMall
📁 Config
- 📄 localization.txt (224 B)
📁 Prefabs
- 📄 MegaMall.blocks.nim (18.2 kB)
- 📄 MegaMall.ins (22.5 kB)
- 📄 MegaMall.jpg (7.4 kB)
- 📄 MegaMall.mesh (2.6 MB)
- 📄 MegaMall.tts (1.4 MB)
- 📄 MegaMall.xml (5.3 kB)
📄 modinfo.xml (289 B)

And note the "Config" and "Prefab" folders and the presence of ModInfo.xml. That's a modlet. If VoltraLux were just giving you a raw POI, you would have only seen the 6 files listed there in the "Prefabs" folder.

In this case, the only extra configuration you're getting is the text for the POI in the Localization.txt file, which is an integration with the game's Danger Meter feature. If you were to just lift the POI's 6 files out and put them into LocalPrefabs, the POI would get placed in worlds and work fine, but you wouldn't see the POI's name in the Danger Meter.
Edited by zztong (see edit history)

2 hours ago, zztong said:

In this case, the only extra configuration you're getting is the text for the POI in the Localization.txt file, which is an integration with the game's Danger Meter feature. If you were to just lift the POI's 6 files out and put them into LocalPrefabs, the POI would get placed in worlds and work fine, but you wouldn't see the POI's name in the Danger Meter.

thx.. that helped me a lot
do u have a collection a21 from ur houses were all are in?

4 hours ago, 7daysOfFun said:

do u have a collection a21 from ur houses were all are in?

There is an A21 version of my modlet. (I think that is what you're asking.)

https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/1434/

I try to make a new releases for every TFP major and minor version. Sometimes they're more frequent then that as I might have bug fixes, compatibility changes, or even just new content.