Does 7DTD have persistent progress yet?

Ominous_One

Hey all, I bounce back into this game every couple years. The biggest motivation destroyer for me is that with each new version of the game, I have to start a new profile and lose all that character development and inventory. I'm hesitant to do so again, so figured I'd ask if it's been figured out yet or if it's on the agenda for a future build?

As long as it is in Alpha development, you still need to start a new game with each update. We are on alpha 21, it has been hinted that the game will gold after alpha 23 or 24 but there’s no promise. In your case, I would wait for it to go gold then you’ll never need to start over.

As Star69 said, until this game is gold, you'll have to start over with each alpha and if that's an issue, just wait until gold.  However, it is not common for games to last 6 months to a year or more (the time between alphas*), so there's plenty of time to play multiple games without having to worry about starting over.  Not only that, but you can set it up in Steam to use a specific version of the game, allowing you to play the game as long as you like without updating and starting over.  You won't get the new stuff from the update until you update but that update can wait until you finish an existing game.

* Most intermediate versions (like A21.1) do not require starting over, so you're usually only starting over at the major alphas (A20.0, A21.0, etc.).

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)