porting worlds between game versions

Dark Wun

Hi all,

I created a world I really like and want to play it after A21 is released by starting over. I don't remember the keys I typed to get the seed, but obviously I know the name of the world. Is there any way to find this out from the game files or can I get the exact world in A21 by somehow porting it over?

All of your map info, including seed, is located in the map_info.xml file located in your world folder.  You can try regenerating it using that seed.  Note that most, if not all, POI have been updated/changed for A21, so you may find your towns are not the same as before even with the same seed.  I'm not certain how the changes to the POI will affect maps using the same seed.  Also, the map generator itself has been changed/improved and it does things differently, so it will also likely create at least a somewhat different map even with the same seed.  Until we see how it works or unless TFP verifies how creating a map using the same seed will work in A21 vs. A20, we can only guess.

You could try using a world that was already created (the world is saved separately from your save), but with changes to POI, I'm not sure how well that will work.  You can't break anything by trying it, though.  Just don't use a previous save.  Considering you can make a map with custom POI and play it with someone who doesn't have those installed and it works, though without being able to see it in the distance and with problems with switches in the POI, I would assume you could still play the old map (with a new save) and it just wouldn't show the changes to the POI other than where new art replaced existing art.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Based on what we've heard so far, I think it is safe to say that an A20 map and an A21 map generated by the same seed will be different. How different is hard to say since I'm not entirely sure how it looks under the hood. However, they've said recently in forums and streams that there are brand new tiles and the way roads generate (particularly in the wilderness) is more natural. Whether or not that all translates to completely different worlds or just subtle improvements to an otherwise similar-looking world is hard to say. Not to mention the thousands of changes to POIs and new POIs.

So yes, your map will almost definitely be different when generated again. I've generated maps in the past with the EXACT same seed and settings in the same alpha and the map was different (I think there was a minor update between generations, IIRC).

5 hours ago, Jugginator said:

A20 worlds wont work in A21, as the other said you can get your map info from the mapinfo file in the generated world folder, but do expect it to be mostly different.

I would like to have something specific to tell people using Teragon to make maps... Can you clarify the following?

Teragon crates maps using the XML info from the POIs - tiles and prefabs.  If Teragon were to create a map after installing A21 so that it is using the correct XML info for the updated POI, do you think that should work?  I know you are adding new country tiles, but if a map doesn't include those, I would assume that wouldn't be a problem.  I can't think of anything else that might cause a map problem between the versions.  If it is possible that people can create a new map right away with Teragon, I would like to let them know.  If that wouldn't work and they need to wait until Teragon gets an update to support the map changes in A21, I would like to let them know that, too.

I appreciate it.  Thank you.

13 hours ago, Riamus said:

I would like to have something specific to tell people using Teragon to make maps... Can you clarify the following?

Teragon crates maps using the XML info from the POIs - tiles and prefabs.  If Teragon were to create a map after installing A21 so that it is using the correct XML info for the updated POI, do you think that should work?  I know you are adding new country tiles, but if a map doesn't include those, I would assume that wouldn't be a problem.  I can't think of anything else that might cause a map problem between the versions.  If it is possible that people can create a new map right away with Teragon, I would like to let them know.  If that wouldn't work and they need to wait until Teragon gets an update to support the map changes in A21, I would like to let them know that, too.

I appreciate it.  Thank you.

Sorry, but my response would only be you'll have to wait and see there. I am not familiar with how Teragon works and not sure how it would work with A21 in that regard. There have been a lot of changes to RWG in general besides tiles and XML, so compatibility is uncertain. 

On 4/25/2023 at 1:41 AM, Riamus said:

All of your map info, including seed, is located in the map_info.xml file located in your world folder.

Thanks , this is exactly what I was looking for. Related question: looking in the file I can see the snow,wasteland,desert, forest settings I used for example listed as 5,5,7,3. To reproduce those I set everything to zeros and click that many increments in each corresponding biom, correct?

On 4/25/2023 at 8:03 AM, Syphon583 said:

So yes, your map will almost definitely be different when generated again

I kind of suspected this, with the changes to POIs. I'm not expecting my world to be exactly the same, but based on what is known from previous updates can I expect:

1)Traders to be spawned in their original locations?

2) the same number of Tier 5 POIs to be in the wasteland city I've based in?

3) the building I used as a main base to likely be in the same place (Mo's electronics store)?

I know we are not devs, just based on what is known.

Edited by Dark Wun (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, Dark Wun said:

Thanks , this is exactly what I was looking for. Related question: looking in the file I can see the snow,wasteland,desert, forest settings I used for example listed as 5,5,7,3. To reproduce those I set everything to zeros and click that many increments in each corresponding biom, correct?

I kind of suspected this, with the changes to POIs. I'm not expecting my world to be exactly the same, but based on what is known from previous updates can I expect:

3) the building I used as a main base to likely be in the same place (Mo's electronics store)?

I know we are not devs, just based on what is known.

I've had difficulty getting the same settings, at least the same percent.  I tried this with someone else where I said to move the sliders X amount in each direction and they'd get different prevents than me and therefore a different map.  It may be that you can do what you say and have it work.  I'm not sure, though.

1) Not necessarily as traders can now appear in districts and in the wilderness.

2) Maybe, but probably not.  Your towns are likely to look different and that will affect the number of any POI.

3) As with 2, your towns are likely to change.

3 hours ago, Dark Wun said:

As you said, neither of us are developers and know the full list of changes and enhancements that have been made to RWG. However, unless I misunderstood, during the most recent dev stream it was revealed that traders, for example, are no longer going to spawn in "gateway" tiles. Instead, it will return to how it was in A19 where the trader could spawn anywhere in a town/city, or even in the wilderness. There are 14 new T5 POIs so more could spawn in or spawn in different places compared to how it generated in A20. There are more tiles, 75 brand new POIs, and nearly all existing POIs have received some amount of rework. Since all POIs have a certain percentage to spawn in depending on type, it's extremely possible that the next time you generate a world, even using the same seed, Mo's electronics might not even be there and you're have to shack up in whatever POI is in it's place. Given that information alone, it tells me that even if using the same seed, towns and cities will likely generate very differently.

I wouldn't count on any of those 3 assumptions.

That being said, if you're fine with taking away the discovery aspect of it (which it sounds like you are based on what you've said) you could manually place in any POI you want after the world has been generated. I've never done it myself, but there are plenty of videos on YT showing you how to customize an RWG world. Also, while it's highly unlikely that Mo's ends up in the same spot you found it before, chances are it generated somewhere else in the world. The RWG files will tell you what POIs were placed and where they're located.

12 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

As you said, neither of us are developers and know the full list of changes and enhancements that have been made to RWG. However, unless I misunderstood, during the most recent dev stream it was revealed that traders, for example, are no longer going to spawn in "gateway" tiles. Instead, it will return to how it was in A19 where the trader could spawn anywhere in a town/city, or even in the wilderness. There are 14 new T5 POIs so more could spawn in or spawn in different places compared to how it generated in A20. 

A few corrections here...

I believe they said traders will "also" spawn in districts and in country tiles, not that they won't also appear on gateway tiles.  In addition, there are 14 total tier 5 POI, not 14 new POI.  There are only 5 new ones.  The rest are existing tier 5 POI and lower tier POI that have been bumped up to tier 5 like Red Mesa.

Even so, a map is likely to be different.

On 4/28/2023 at 6:08 PM, Riamus said:

1) Not necessarily as traders can now appear in districts and in the wilderness.

Darn, trader locations were what I wanted to stay the same the most. Either way, thanks for the info.

On 4/28/2023 at 9:49 PM, Syphon583 said:

That being said, if you're fine with taking away the discovery aspect of it (which it sounds like you are based on what you've said) you could manually place in any POI you want after the world has been generated

Alright, good to know. I might give this a go. I love the discovery aspect of the game, but I'm pretty far into a game with a friend and we rolled a 'jackpot' world so to speak. I had all the POIs we wanted right. We figured the next best experience would be to replay the world but with all the improvements and changes A21 will bring.

Appreciate all the info and feedback, Cheers 🙂

On 4/29/2023 at 11:29 AM, Riamus said:

A few corrections here...

I believe they said traders will "also" spawn in districts and in country tiles, not that they won't also appear on gateway tiles.  In addition, there are 14 total tier 5 POI, not 14 new POI.  There are only 5 new ones.  The rest are existing tier 5 POI and lower tier POI that have been bumped up to tier 5 like Red Mesa.

Even so, a map is likely to be different.

In all honesty, I didn't watch the stream. I watched a recap video by GNS and it's possible I misunderstood.