Wanna try my hand at modding

spiritking

Hey all, just wanted to ask a couple questions. I've been playing with a few mods recently and have been interested in making a couple of my own lately.

Although I have no experience with such things, i was wondering if there were any tutorials or youtube videos that would break everything i would need to know down, and if it was something i could do in game or if i would have to use unity. I've been extremely interested in making mech suits for 7 days that would work like vehicles with different tiers (scrap mech, iron mech, steel mech and space mech) I'm sure it'll be hard work and take me awhile seeing as i have 0 experience, but it's definitely something im interested in, and and help would be appreciated.

thanks

I do recommend going into the Config files and just checking things out.  Like, seeing what properties are attached to a gun etc.  Just making a simple quests mod i learned a ton unpacking the game's quest file and other modders' quest files as well.  Try looking under the hood at what others have done before, even if not directly related to Mech suits.   You probably will save yourself many, many hours doing that.  Modding is a challenge enough without reinventing the wheel all by yourself :)

This youtube series is also helpful: 

On 2/14/2023 at 8:36 PM, spiritking said:

Hey all, just wanted to ask a couple questions. I've been playing with a few mods recently and have been interested in making a couple of my own lately.

Although I have no experience with such things, i was wondering if there were any tutorials or youtube videos that would break everything i would need to know down, and if it was something i could do in game or if i would have to use unity. I've been extremely interested in making mech suits for 7 days that would work like vehicles with different tiers (scrap mech, iron mech, steel mech and space mech) I'm sure it'll be hard work and take me awhile seeing as i have 0 experience, but it's definitely something im interested in, and and help would be appreciated.

thanks

I think that you should start with XPath to start with:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/7653-xpath-modding-explanation-thread/

Believe it or not, that is actually easier than anything else.

Once you understand that, you can dip your toes into creating Unity assets for the game. Xyth's tutorials are great for that:

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidTaylorCIO/playlists

If you absorbed all that and still want to continue, then your best option is to join Guppy's Discord server and ask around:
https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/23400-unnofficial-modding-discord/ 

Even after all of that, I think that you will find making mech suits to be extremely difficult, such that the game will be gold by the time you figure it out. Just warning you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 8:36 PM, spiritking said:

thanks

Understand that adding assets to the game can become very complicated, very quickly.  Bdubyah's The Wasteland overhaul adds Fallout style power armor to the game.  Bdubyah's vehicles add a LOT of vehicles, as does Vehicle Madness.  Things like that definitely mean diving into the Unity code of the game, adding meshes and textures, and more.

One thing I have found while teaching myself simple .xml edits and modlet making, is that the modding community is very supportive for those trying to learn - I heartily recommend Guppycur's Discord server that Stallionsden mentioned above.  Good luck and welcome to the chaos that is modding!