Unable to consume items in inventory

Kosmic Kerman

I've been playing other games so maybe I'm having a brain fart but I can't figure out how to consume items in my inventory (food, water, candy). My recollection is that right click should consume items in the inventory but that isn't working. I've tried various other key combinations without success. I've checked my keybindings and right-click is set up as secondary action for both inventory and menu ui.  Holding right click and dragging splits my inventory in half so the system is recognizing a right-click. I've tried both restarting and shutting down the computer. No controllers or peripherals (other than mouse and keyboard) are attached.  What am I missing?

I'm pretty sure the default key to consume an item in your inventory is A.  Not sure if you have changed that and I don't have the game open right now to check if my memory is correct.  But as bdubyah said, just left click something in inventory to see what key to use (it'll say above your inventory where it displays details about what you clicked on).