Modded Gun Silencer Noise

Cloyne

I've downloaded some mods that add weapons to the game, specifically the ones made by Izayo, and they don't seem to be affected by the silencer in game.

With the silencer on the weapon, the sound changes but the sound bar still fills to 100 as if firing without a silencer.

Is there something in the files I can change to allow the silencer to work correctly with these guns? I really enjoy playing a stealth build and want to mix it up from the vanilla pistol and sniper rifle combo.

It looks like the stealth meter is affected by the sound files themselves.  I changed one of the pistols from his custom sound suppressor sound files back to the default 9 mm pistol and I saw the stealth meter be less than 100% when firing (similar to the 9 mm pistol).

All those items are located in the item_modifiers xml file

36 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

It looks like the stealth meter is affected by the sound files themselves.  I changed one of the pistols from his custom sound suppressor sound files back to the default 9 mm pistol and I saw the stealth meter be less than 100% when firing (similar to the 9 mm pistol).

All those items are located in the item_modifiers xml file

Well that's too bad I can't still use the custom sounds but if it'll work with stealth then that'll do.

And I'm assuming you can change the sound to whichever vanilla sound and it'll work the same? 

49 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

You might be able to adjust some values in sounds.xml for his custom sounds. Just compare his to the vanilla silenced sounds and see what's different.

@Cloyne Do this if you want to keep the custom sounds.  bdubyah has worked with the sounds before so he is much better at this than I am

Here are two compared side by side.

9mm (vanilla)

<SoundDataNode name="pistol_s_fire"> <AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire"/> <NetworkAudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire_Network"/>
    <Noise ID="0" noise="17" time="2" muffled_when_crouched="0.8" heat_map_strength="0.4" heat_map_time="180"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Ranged/Pistol/pistol_s_fire1"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Ranged/Pistol/pistol_s_fire2"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Ranged/Pistol/pistol_s_fire3"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Ranged/Pistol/pistol_s_fire4"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Twitch/Silly/pistol_fire_silly1" AltSound="true"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Twitch/Silly/pistol_fire_silly2" AltSound="true"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Twitch/Silly/pistol_fire_silly3" AltSound="true"/>
    <LocalCrouchVolumeScale value="0.5"/> <CrouchNoiseScale value="1"/> <NoiseScale value="1"/> <MaxVoices value="30"/> <MaxVoicesPerEntity value="10"/> <MaxRepeatRate value="0.001"/> </SoundDataNode>

The Lock17 pistol

<SoundDataNode name="lock17_silen_fire_S"> <AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire"/> <NetworkAudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire_Network"/>
    <Noise ID="0" noise="70" time="2" muffled_when_crouched="1" heat_map_strength="0.7" heat_map_time="60"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/Lock17.unity3d?lock17_silen_fire_S"/>
    <LocalCrouchVolumeScale value="1"/> <CrouchNoiseScale value="1"/> <NoiseScale value="1"/> <MaxVoices value="20"/> <MaxVoicesPerEntity value="6"/> <MaxRepeatRate value="0.001"/> </SoundDataNode>

<SoundDataNode name="lock17_silen_fire"> <AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire"/> <NetworkAudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire_Network"/>
    <Noise ID="0" noise="70" time="2" muffled_when_crouched="1" heat_map_strength="0.7" heat_map_time="60"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/Lock17.unity3d?lock17_silen_fire"/>
    <LocalCrouchVolumeScale value="1"/> <CrouchNoiseScale value="1"/> <NoiseScale value="1"/> <MaxVoices value="20"/> <MaxVoicesPerEntity value="6"/> <MaxRepeatRate value="0.001"/> </SoundDataNode>

<SoundDataNode name="lock17_silen_end"> <AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire"/> <NetworkAudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire_Network"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/Lock17.unity3d?lock17_silen_end"/>

On 12/29/2022 at 11:11 AM, BFT2020 said:

@Cloyne Do this if you want to keep the custom sounds.  bdubyah has worked with the sounds before so he is much better at this than I am

Here are two compared side by side.

9mm (vanilla)

<SoundDataNode name="pistol_s_fire"> <AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire"/> <NetworkAudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire_Network"/>
    <Noise ID="0" noise="17" time="2" muffled_when_crouched="0.8" heat_map_strength="0.4" heat_map_time="180"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Ranged/Pistol/pistol_s_fire1"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Ranged/Pistol/pistol_s_fire2"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Ranged/Pistol/pistol_s_fire3"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Weapons/Ranged/Pistol/pistol_s_fire4"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Twitch/Silly/pistol_fire_silly1" AltSound="true"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Twitch/Silly/pistol_fire_silly2" AltSound="true"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="Sounds/Twitch/Silly/pistol_fire_silly3" AltSound="true"/>
    <LocalCrouchVolumeScale value="0.5"/> <CrouchNoiseScale value="1"/> <NoiseScale value="1"/> <MaxVoices value="30"/> <MaxVoicesPerEntity value="10"/> <MaxRepeatRate value="0.001"/> </SoundDataNode>

The Lock17 pistol

<SoundDataNode name="lock17_silen_fire_S"> <AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire"/> <NetworkAudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire_Network"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/Lock17.unity3d?lock17_silen_fire_S"/>

<SoundDataNode name="lock17_silen_fire"> <AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire"/> <NetworkAudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire_Network"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/Lock17.unity3d?lock17_silen_fire"/>

<SoundDataNode name="lock17_silen_end"> <AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire"/> <NetworkAudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_WeaponFire_Network"/>
    <AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/Lock17.unity3d?lock17_silen_end"/>

Sweet, so it looks like I can just go through the modded weapon sounds and alter the noise they make.

I'm guessing I just change the "noise" value from 70 to 17 and that's all that will be needed? And the same for the rest of the guns.

3 minutes ago, Cloyne said:

Sweet, so it looks like I can just go through the modded weapon sounds and alter the noise they make.

I'm guessing I just change the "noise" value from 70 to 17 and that's all that will be needed? And the same for the rest of the guns.

That should help. Just make sure it matches whichever vanilla one you want. And if you open the base game sounds.xml it explains what a lot of the values do at the top of the file, if you are interested in learning more of it.

3 hours ago, bdubyah said:

That should help. Just make sure it matches whichever vanilla one you want. And if you open the base game sounds.xml it explains what a lot of the values do at the top of the file, if you are interested in learning more of it.

I noticed that, thanks for the response. Seems like it will be easy enough. Not sure why it wasn't like that from the beginning from the mod author if it's just changed a couple of values.

7 minutes ago, Cloyne said:

I noticed that, thanks for the response. Seems like it will be easy enough. Not sure why it wasn't like that from the beginning from the mod author if it's just changed a couple of values.

He's learning, so maybe drop a helpful post in his thread letting him know what you found out.

Anyone that has modded this game started out as a newcomer.

He could have copied a normal sound by mistake and didn't notice, or maybe it was intentional that he wanted silenced weapons to just be quiet but not basically silent. As BFT said, maybe ask him in his thread and see. Either it was intentional and he won't wanna change it, or it was an oversight(trust me, this is easy to do. lol) and he'll be glad for the corrections. :)

30 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

He could have copied a normal sound by mistake and didn't notice, or maybe it was intentional that he wanted silenced weapons to just be quiet but not basically silent. As BFT said, maybe ask him in his thread and see. Either it was intentional and he won't wanna change it, or it was an oversight(trust me, this is easy to do. lol) and he'll be glad for the corrections. :)

That's true. it looks like that's what happened.

I was able to fix the sound level. Had to replace the noise value with the corresponding vanilla gun as well as the crouch sound modifier. Also, some sounds had a start, middle and end identified by _s or _end on the name, which needed the noise level to be set to 0. Otherwise, if all three are set to the vanilla noise volume, each one will generate that amount of noise making it 3 times as loud.

I'll make a reply on one of his mod's and link this forum post! Thanks for the help, guys.