About those water filters...

Raindear Games

Both the filters for the helmet mod and the one needed for the dew collector:

I don't want to give any dev's any bad ideas, but IRL those are destroyed/useless/boat anchor/bad order/oos/fubar/done if they freeze EVEN ONCE. Most of them are made by Sawyer (the Sawyer Squeeze, etc, and other systems at REI and elsewhere but Sawyer stuff can be found at most Walmarts, as every camper/backpacker knows).

I have 2. They're amazing and make it safe to put any body of fresh water (streams, rivers, lakes, ponds, etc) directly into whatever you want without boiling, including a hiking bottle or your body with the suction straw (though personally, I've always felt more protected boiling it as well after drip filtering). You have to backflush to clean them, but that membrane is kaput if it hard freezes. People even sleep with them in their sleeping bags to make sure it doesn't happen.

Everyone, please don't hate me for bringing this up! It's always bothered me, but due to the state of drinking water before Alpha 21 it wasn't service affecting. Now it will be.

I know, I know. It's only a game. It's not real life.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought it up :)

Of course, there's always those "water purifier" tablets that military around the world put in some ration packs for the last hundred years, but I don't know if I would bet my life on those. I understand there are commercial versions, as well.

Edited by Raindear Games (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Raindear Games said:

... filters... They're amazing and make it safe to put any body of fresh water (streams, rivers, lakes, ponds, etc) directly into whatever you want

afaik waterfilters protect you against organisms down to 0,2 microns of size. but boiling or purifier tablets kill viruses too which are much smaller (0,02 microns for hepatitis A for example). without distillation water from rivers where there are human settlements upstream is hazardous because its contaminated with poisonous heavy metals and chemicals aswell.

5 hours ago, avad said:

afaik waterfilters protect you against organisms down to 0,2 microns of size. but boiling or purifier tablets kill viruses too which are much smaller (0,02 microns for hepatitis A for example). without distillation water from rivers where there are human settlements upstream is hazardous because its contaminated with poisonous heavy metals and chemicals aswell.

Great info! I didn't know that!

2 hours ago, Maharin said:

The best part about drinking dirty water is the complete lack of constipation.

So true...

Not too far off topic, but I recall a hiking trip where a medical doctor brought along a Brita water filter pitcher to ensure his safe drinking water. Emm, those don't work that way. :stupid:

Was a time, long ago, when I could safely drink cool Sierra mountains spring water straight from the crag it was seeping from. We even wore our Sierra cups on our belt - ready to dip into the pristine waters for a most glorious thirst quencher. Not anymore. Giardia is a good reason to avoid this now. And those halizone tablets may well kill whats living in ones water, but leave an aftertaste that's not pleasant. And boiled water, though more safe, requires a pot, a heat source and the time to boil and then cool.

So, the Sawyer filters have their place but don't cover all the bases either. Sounds like we may need a dew collector after all. Except in the snow biome so it doesn't freeze. 😉

"Your tent looks strange."

"Nah, its the dew collector in my bed roll"

"uh huh"

Edited by Melange (see edit history)