I just realized what is wrong with 7d2d as multiplayer and it would be easy to fix: loot amount

MikeSixx

On 3/9/2023 at 11:42 PM, Roland said:

In my opinion unhealthy competition rears its ugly head when players are being selfish: "I must be highest level in the group" "I must have the best gear before anyone else"

That (whole comment) threw me way back; a wow guild, a boss drop and a friendly dkp-but-still-random-roll competition between me and a younger guild mate. He won the roll, and I went "grats" in chat. That prompted him to throw a hissy fit over me "not being honest as you can't be honestly happy about losing".

We talked about it for a while, and he just couldn't see past "you lost, so you must be unhappy". Eh, the piece of gear is fighting for me just as much on him as it would've been on me. He was quite sane otherwise, and I assume he's grown out of it by now - but it seems to take quite some effort to figure out what's good for a group vs just the simple terms of winning and losing.

14 hours ago, theFlu said:

That (whole comment) threw me way back; a wow guild, a boss drop and a friendly dkp-but-still-random-roll competition between me and a younger guild mate. He won the roll, and I went "grats" in chat. That prompted him to throw a hissy fit over me "not being honest as you can't be honestly happy about losing".

We talked about it for a while, and he just couldn't see past "you lost, so you must be unhappy". Eh, the piece of gear is fighting for me just as much on him as it would've been on me. He was quite sane otherwise, and I assume he's grown out of it by now - but it seems to take quite some effort to figure out what's good for a group vs just the simple terms of winning and losing.

haha..well, yes, there is also general immaturity as another reason. Winning and losing gracefully is something not everyone grows into. 

On 3/9/2023 at 2:56 PM, Roland said:

I don't think there is any assuming in this case. He spells it out that the biggest problem of the game is loot competition and that loot competition kills the social game play and even goes so far to say that 7 Days is garbage for co-op play...lol. That is not a description of healthy competition among friends. I do think that you are correct that most loot competition is healthy which is why the vast majority of players describe the game as one of the best co-op experiences there is in video gaming. In the OP's case, his friends aren't treating him well to the point that he wants all loot containers to be individualized. In my opinion, group dynamics and cooperation are a skill the game requires and adding a "fix" that removes any need for the struggle to cooperate well is not better. I also agree that we should be careful not to assume that all reports of loot issues in MP is due to bad player behavior as there absolutely could be a balance issue.

Fair enough.

The OP certainly paints a rather grim picture for something that is just a general reality in any game structured the way this one is and that the type of player you are pair up with will make or break the experience.