Low FPS on 3090

Seredinh

Hi guys, I am getting really low FPS (sometimes sub 60 in base) on my PC on non-modded 7d2d (even while playing alone) When I go in to an undiscovered bunker (one in the well, or the bigger one) FPS drop significantly. Tried with OC on and off, everything is under custom loop so no temp issues here (sub 40 liquid temp while gaming - using 3x360mm rads). Usage of the CPU and GPU is really low (20-50%) tried tying the game to 4-6 physical cores to no avail. Gaming on 1440p/165Hz screen.

My PC Specs

MOBO: Z490 Asrock Taichi
CPU: i7 10700K
32 GB DDR 3600MHz RAM
nVidia RTX 3090FE
1TB nVME m.2 Samsung 970 Pro SSD x 3

Is that the temp of the liquid or the temp of the CPU and GPU? There's a massive difference, especially if you did it wrong.

I've got an RTX 3080 and AMD 5600x and mine stays solid at 60fps with settings maxed out (V-sync and other nonsense disabled), I get no dips at all, ever. Mind you, I run at 1080p.

The only things I can think of is either heat related (maybe the motherboard itself?), or a driver issue since 3090s don't get as much driver love as more popular cards do, or something weird going on with your hardware or maybe even background junk software like antivirus or firewall or VPN or fps counter or screen capture, etc...

8 hours ago, Fox said:

Is that the temp of the liquid or the temp of the CPU and GPU? There's a massive difference, especially if you did it wrong.

I've got an RTX 3080 and AMD 5600x and mine stays solid at 60fps with settings maxed out (V-sync and other nonsense disabled), I get no dips at all, ever. Mind you, I run at 1080p.

The only things I can think of is either heat related (maybe the motherboard itself?), or a driver issue since 3090s don't get as much driver love as more popular cards do, or something weird going on with your hardware or maybe even background junk software like antivirus or firewall or VPN or fps counter or screen capture, etc...

CPU package temp never breaks 40C, GPU never breaks 42C. 3090 gets the same "game ready" drivers as 3080/Ti, it's not a Quadro series. All other games work perfectly fine, I don't use any AV (Windows Defender only), no VPN or firewall and no screen capture or record software. Game never even gets close to putting a 100/99% load on any component.

I take it your GPU is also liquid cooled? Is it possible it's one of those lazily assembled coolers that don't provide any cooling for other hot parts on the GPU as Gamer's Nexus on youtube often shows?

FYI, it's normal for the GPU and CPU not to reach 100% utilization since the game is cpu bound and only uses like 4 core threads. Though, it should be using a bit more than what you're seeing obviously, as you mentioned.

The only thing I can suggest for now is to either drop down to 1080p which is what I remember devs recommending years ago or tuning some settings down till you see better fps (or using that DLSR or whatever it's called that automatically tunes your settings based on fps).

If you're in a town or city thats normal behaviour atm, i have a 5950x and 3090 in city's it dips to sub 30fps. Double check to make sure you have xmp enabled in your bios, tune down or completely disable anything reflection related (especially screen space reflection) tune down shadows and object detail, disable dynamic meshes/imposters. You can also check to make sure there are no background process running sucking up resources. However even after all that maintaining 60fps isn't possible with any hardware with decent looking video settings. So unfortunately if none of that does the trick and it's still bothering you just keep lowering everything until it runs acceptably.