Updated Server to 20.4 Stable - On connect attempt "Could not retrieve server ID"

Dracknar

As Title.

I have updated my server world, and have located it on the new region based server list.

Game starts up fine on console for server.  

But trying to connect is giving me the "Could not retrieve server ID" error.  

I have no idea what is going on.

Ok good to know.

I'm not actually sure what happened on my hosted server, but eventually, after just trying repeatedly, it eventually worked? 
I changed nothing.  Just.. kept trying.

Myself and one other player have now been able to connect.   

I'll monitor and see if it repeats when I try to get on next. 

• 1 month later...

Same problem as Dracknar, after some fidling it just worked, not sure what changed.

Currently i have these ports forwardedfor 7d2d , normally the last 2 ranges should not be required, but worth a try.

26900:26905
8080:8081

Kind regards

Yes, that range of ports forwarded will work. If it still isn’t working, use an online port checker to check that those ports are open. If running A20.5, be sure the 2 new lines are added to the serverconfig.xml. Also, in either your command line or serverconfig.xml you need to point to your userdata folder.

• 7 months later...
On 5/29/2022 at 4:28 PM, Star69 said:

Yes, that range of ports forwarded will work. If it still isn’t working, use an online port checker to check that those ports are open. If running A20.5, be sure the 2 new lines are added to the serverconfig.xml. Also, in either your command line or serverconfig.xml you need to point to your userdata folder.

How do you point the serverconfig.xml to your user data.  Also i enabled the steamnetworking and that seemed to fix it. 

There is a default setting.....meaning as long as you did not change the location of the userdata folder from where it was set when the game was installed, you don't need to change anything. However, if you have a custom location for your userdata folder, there is a line in the serverconfig.xml to point to it. The following are the lines in the serverconfig.xml:

<!-- Folder and file locations -->
    <property name="AdminFileName"       value="serveradmin.xml"/>    <!-- Server admin file name. Path relative to the SaveGameFolder -->
    <!-- <property name="UserDataFolder"      value="absolute path" /> -->    <!-- Use this to override where the server stores all generated data, including RWG generated worlds. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->
    <!-- <property name="SaveGameFolder"       value="absolute path" /> -->    <!-- Use this to only override the save game path. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/29/2022 at 2:28 PM, Star69 said:

tysm, this fixed mine, for anyone wondering just erase steamnetworking and leave the space as ""

7 hours ago, Potatoman said:

tysm, this fixed mine, for anyone wondering just erase steamnetworking and leave the space as ""

That's what you do when you are unable to properly forward the ports. Do note that it basically uses Steam servers as VPN, so will increase the latency on connections to the server.

11 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

That's what you do when you are unable to properly forward the ports. Do note that it basically uses Steam servers as VPN, so will increase the latency on connections to the server.

not sure how i could forward them any differently? I did it the same way I would with any other server I've setup so idk why this would be any different