FPS drops in certain areas

DannyR

Hello,

I'm having FPS drops in certain areas, usually in the Wasteland Biome and at times inside POIs, usually in Tier 4 and 5 POIs. If there are no zombies I'm at 60fps, which is what I limited the game to. Then when about 6 or more zombies spawn or are active that's when my fps tanks. It goes down to about 40fps and when there's like 10 zombies it goes even way down to 26fps. If there's a screamer around then it becomes a slideshow where my fps plays at around 1-20fps.

In most T1 to T3 POIs my fps is steady at 40-60fps which is very much a good playable fps for me. 

During Blood Moon my fps goes down to about 26fps which I am perfectly fine with as it's about the minimum playable fps for me.

My game settings are at its lowest as I can get it to. Also I'm playing in Multiplayer and my friend is the host.

i5-4460 @ 3.20GHz
NVidia GeForce GTX 1070
16GB RAM

Here is my log: https://justpaste.it/3adm0

22 hours ago, DannyR said:

Here is my log:

All the line formatting is gone in your log so it's extremely difficult to read. Can you post it to pastebin.com and link here?

22 hours ago, DannyR said:

I'm playing in Multiplayer and my friend is the host.

The problem might be your friend's computer. Does it happen in single player?

39 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

All the line formatting is gone in your log so it's extremely difficult to read. Can you post it to pastebin.com and link here?

Okay, here it is: https://pastebin.com/eVX72fUh

39 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

The problem might be your friend's computer. Does it happen in single player?

I don't play it in single player though. When we were playing, all of us were having that huge fps drop in that area. Also we have a friend whose fps drops in certain areas too but we don't experience it with her when we're in the same area.

12 minutes ago, DannyR said:

Okay, here it is:

Thanks, you should be able to play with medium setting ok with that rig. Maybe turn off Shadows and Reflections.

Also, I would suggest turning off v-sync and using your nvidia control panel to set a max frame rate of 60. This gives less mouse lag for some reason.

This error from your log: 2022-03-30T21:51:02 650.118 INF NET: LiteNetLib: Connection failed: ConnectionFailed

indicates a port problem on the server. The server needs TCP 26900 and UDP 26900 to 26903 open in both the router and firewall.

Once that is fixed, if you still have issues I suggest reducing the zombie count to defaults or lower. 5 players and a ton of zombies is a lot of work

for both the machine and network.

13 minutes ago, DannyR said:

I don't play it in single player though.

You could start a single player Navezgane map as a test to see how well the game runs in that mode. If it improves, then it is another indicator

that the server is not able handle the load asked of it.

28 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

Thanks, you should be able to play with medium setting ok with that rig. Maybe turn off Shadows and Reflections.

Also, I would suggest turning off v-sync and using your nvidia control panel to set a max frame rate of 60. This gives less mouse lag for some reason.

This error from your log: 2022-03-30T21:51:02 650.118 INF NET: LiteNetLib: Connection failed: ConnectionFailed

indicates a port problem on the server. The server needs TCP 26900 and UDP 26900 to 26903 open in both the router and firewall.

Once that is fixed, if you still have issues I suggest reducing the zombie count to defaults or lower. 5 players and a ton of zombies is a lot of work

for both the machine and network.

Ahh yes, I already have my nvidia setting capped at 60, I turned on vsync because I was experiencing some screen tearing, but okay, I'll disable it.
I already set the game preset to lowest and I think it already disabled shadows and reflections but I'll check again to be sure.
About the error though, I'm confused, my friend's PC is the server and we're able to connect just fine...well...sometimes there are errors but mostly it's fine.
We already lowered the zombie count to 4, but that's the blood moon horde count. We'll double check next time.

28 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

You could start a single player Navezgane map as a test to see how well the game runs in that mode. If it improves, then it is another indicator

that the server is not able handle the load asked of it.

Hmm...ok, I'll try playing single player to test some things out for this.

As of now I turned On the Threaded Optimization in my Nvidia Settings and I've yet to try this again. I'll post here again after I am able to test the settings.

Many thanks for the help! 😃

3 hours ago, DannyR said:

I already set the game preset to lowest and I think it already disabled shadows and reflections

My point is that you should be able to play at higher settings than "lowest" with your hardware.

I turned on vsync because I was experiencing some screen tearing, but okay, I'll disable it.

Oddly, I too get screen tearing when setting at 60 in Nvidia Control Panel. I set it to 66 which looks nice to me. You could try differenent #s.

I always get mouse lag with v-sync on.

About the error though, I'm confused, my friend's PC is the server and we're able to connect just fine

You're connecting using the SteamNetworking protocol, which is known to have higher latency and worse performance than LiteNetLib.

Thus, my suggestion to fix that setup.

14 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

My point is that you should be able to play at higher settings than "lowest" with your hardware.

Oddly, I too get screen tearing when setting at 60 in Nvidia Control Panel. I set it to 66 which looks nice to me. You could try differenent #s.

I always get mouse lag with v-sync on.

You're connecting using the SteamNetworking protocol, which is known to have higher latency and worse performance than LiteNetLib.

Thus, my suggestion to fix that setup.

Ahh I see, many thanks for your help. 😃

Okay, so I tried disabling vsync this time and got some screen tearing again HOWEVER, my FPS is a lot better compared to last time. So it's a "pick your poison" for me it seems and now I settled with some screen tearing over losing some frames. I might increase the FPS cap in my nvdia settings for next time to test it some more.

Archived