Follow up: Does anyone know how the +4 in lucky goggles affects loot stage?

dex314

You can see exactly how it affects your lootstage on your character info page:

Spoiler

image.png.e214f3370956ecc57b9dde3414470210.png

As to it being trivial, I dunno if I'd put it that way. Certainly by the time your lootstage is "in the hundreds", you're already well into T3 loot and the effect will be pretty minor. But even there, at lootstage 200, adding the goggles will increase the odds of a T3 item (before other adjustments and calculations*) by 40% (from 0.10 to 0.14).

T3 loot probability table:

<loot level="200" prob="0.10"/>
        <loot level="201" prob="0.11"/>
        <loot level="202" prob="0.12"/>
        <loot level="203" prob="0.13"/>
        <loot level="204" prob="0.14"/>

*If you want to see all of the calculations and RNG results, try this mod.

40 minutes ago, Boidster said:

You can see exactly how it affects your lootstage on your character info page:

As to it being trivial, I dunno if I'd put it that way. Certainly by the time your lootstage is "in the hundreds", you're already well into T3 loot and the effect will be pretty minor. But even there, at lootstage 200, adding the goggles will increase the odds of a T3 item (before other adjustments and calculations*) by 40% (from 0.10 to 0.14).

T3 loot probability table:

<loot level="200" prob="0.10"/>
        <loot level="201" prob="0.11"/>
        <loot level="202" prob="0.12"/>
        <loot level="203" prob="0.13"/>
        <loot level="204" prob="0.14"/>

*If you want to see all of the calculations and RNG results, try this mod.

I actually tried putting them on and off and the loot stage in the character sheet didn't change, which is why I asked. (oh tested it again and it works, not sure why it didnt before) But I think you're reading the numbers wrong. 0.10 to 0.14 is a 4% increase, not 40%. That would be insane if it was 40%. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Al said:

It's added as a flat bonus right at the end of the loot stage calculation, so yes the goggles have a trivial effect.

Ah yea, thank you. Then definitely not worth skipping the 10% exp from nerdy glasses. 

Edited by dex314 (see edit history)

On 3/25/2022 at 2:19 PM, ElDudorino said:

14 is 40% higher than 10 so that's what he was referring to with the 40% thing. Still, you're going from a low number to another low number, so it's not that impressive.

Except - and this is where that mod can really help clarify things - all of the probability numbers are relative to each other. A loot table probabilty of 0.14 does not mean 14% chance. Depending on the makeup of the loot group(s) involved in a particular loot search, that 0.14 might mean 3% or it might mean 40%. Putting on the goggles at lootstage 200 will make Tier 3 items 40% more likely to show up, relative to searches without the goggles. That could mean going from 2% to 2.8% actual chance or it might mean 20% to 28% actual chance. Or something else. It all depends on what you're searching and how the RNG navigates through the loot groups.

It's a pretty complex system, which is why I wrote the mod.