What would the minumum stats needed for a dedicated server Pc?

lil_joha

looking to find out what a Minimum  set up would be needed for a dedicated home server for 8 players at the most. Playing 7d2d . Just out of curiosity.

finding paid servers to hard to get set up with mods and tweeks I like.

And would it need a good video card  as it will not be used to play the game JUST  send info to the players.

Edited by lil_joha
extra details question (see edit history)

Server doesn't need a video card, but you usually want something for a visual interface when doing initial setup.

You'll get more bang for your buck on Linux than you will on Windows. Runs faster, longer, and is more stable. Plus you get a lot of automation that you won't get in Windows. I put a guide together here. If you can read high-school English, it's pretty easy.

As for the hardware, it really boils down to CPU, RAM/bus speeds, and your I/O bandwidth. You can run on platter drives, but you're going to notice some hitching. Strongly recommend using an SSD at a minimum.

For CPU, you could get away with something like a 3rd-gen Intel i7, or a 6th-gen i5 or better. Stay clear of the 6th-gen Intel because it's worse than 3rd-gen, and 10th-gen and newer is a waste of money since it barely performs better than the 9th gen, and in some cases is considerably worse.  If you're going the AMD route, anything before the 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU's is a waste of time. Single-core speeds are key here, and ignore boost speeds. You're going to be running base clock 99% of the time, and you want that to be above 2.8GHz at a minimum. 3.0GHz+ is highly recommended. More than four cores isn't necessary, but it does help a lot to spread the load on the child tasks. I imagine it will matter even more in future builds. 

The minimum RAM I would recommend is DDR3 @1600MHz, and you're going to want 8GB for Linux, or 12GB min for Windows. 16GB is recommended though. Especially if you plan on running mods.

Our group is running our servers on a Dell PowerEdge R710. We've got a pair of x5675's for 12c/24t, 96GB RAM, and an array of SSD's in RAID. Our hardware is more than you need, but you can spec a decent server on Ebay for about $400 with a good set of drives. This one is a tad more, but with those drives in RAID, it would work peachy. It's well worth the upgrade over something like this, and will allow you to expand more later if you wish.

Or you can just yank a junker out of a closet. We ran a couple of servers for a while on an i7-3930k that was OC'ed to 4GHZ with 48GB RAM, and a few SSD's in RAID.

Edited by SylenThunder
Not sure why I put a 0 instead of a 9 (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

Stay clear of the 6th-gen Intel because it's worse than 3rd-gen, and 10th-gen and newer is a waste of money since it barely performs better than the 9th gen, and in some cases is considerably worse. 

Well, that's absolutely obvious, of course. It's not like we'd assume generations to improve over the previous ones, right...? Also known as "geez, no wonder I've felt like out of the loop, the loop looks like it got caught by a cougar and is now a tangled ball of string.." :)

Edited by SylenThunder (see edit history)