Clear Quests are not working for us

Dan724724

I am on the latest stable build for 7 days to die and playing on my friends server.

When we do clear quests we go through the entire POI, search through it, kill all the zombies we can find, but when we get to the end it still says that the zombies are not cleared. 

This has happened on many quests for us and is really a pain in the ass when trying to do quests. 

It happens no matter who owns the quest, it happens on all POIS, it happens on Clear Quests and Restore power quests.

We have gone into debug mode looked through the entire POI and still have not found the problem.

Is there anything we can do to remedy this?

Usually there's a hidden room somewhere where the sleeper zombies haven't spawned because you haven't entered their room. I've not experienced this but haven't yet played tier 4 or 5 yet in A20. My suggestion is to follow the path the poi author meant you to take, beginning to end. Sometimes, there are locked rooms along this path that aren't part of the path....be sure to break down every door on the way to the loot room at the end, exploring completely all floors. If you don't follow the path, you can miss these side rooms.....it can be a bathroom or office or bedroom or some other room but it isn't part of the path, just adjacent to it and you have to enter the room for the zombies to spawn. Other than that, I can't think of any other way. I've heard people in your situation blow up the entire building and still not finished the clear and that's because some sleeper zombie hadn't spawned yet. If you open every single door in the place and still doesn't clear, then I'd submit a bug report with tier number and name of the poi so someone on the QA team can take a look.

15 hours ago, Star69 said:

Usually there's a hidden room somewhere where the sleeper zombies haven't spawned because you haven't entered their room. I've not experienced this but haven't yet played tier 4 or 5 yet in A20. My suggestion is to follow the path the poi author meant you to take, beginning to end. Sometimes, there are locked rooms along this path that aren't part of the path....be sure to break down every door on the way to the loot room at the end, exploring completely all floors. If you don't follow the path, you can miss these side rooms.....it can be a bathroom or office or bedroom or some other room but it isn't part of the path, just adjacent to it and you have to enter the room for the zombies to spawn. Other than that, I can't think of any other way. I've heard people in your situation blow up the entire building and still not finished the clear and that's because some sleeper zombie hadn't spawned yet. If you open every single door in the place and still doesn't clear, then I'd submit a bug report with tier number and name of the poi so someone on the QA team can take a look.

The hidden rooms can't be the problem because quests now finish before the last zombie gets killed, and hidden rooms are not that common. Also breaking down doors is a very bad idea if you want to follow the intended path.

@Dan724724

The only doors you should break down are ones where you already can see through (because the door is already half broken or because it is just two bars that prevent you from entering)

You do know about the red and yellow dots on the compass right? At the end of the quest, when only 1 zombie is left, you should see a yellow dot eventually showing his location if you just run through the building.

Two possible explanations:

1) You are really bad at searching or following paths and often miss the entrance to a basement or a dungeon below the house or to the attic.

2) There is something wrong with your game and the POI files are corrupted or the quest system is corrupted.

To find out which it is you could simply wait for the next quest to fail. Then count the numbers of rooms you found in the building and report that together with the POI name that is listed in the quest description. Also stop the game at that point, copy the logfile and post it here (please follow the instructions on how to do that: https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/3956-how-to-report-an-issue-please-read-before-creating-new-threads/?  )

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

I don’t bother opening exterior doors and, yes, most pois don’t have secret rooms but there are a few. There’s a hidden drop in one of the tier 5 (forget which one, maybe shotgun factory?) that does have sleepers. It’s a smaller loot room with a couple of business men that don’t spawn until you drop out of the ceiling which was the only reason to mention hidden rooms as a potential spot for missing zombies. Also, I know this was true for A19 so I can’t say whether the level designers went back and changed things so that all zombies spawn if you you just follow the path they lay out for you. I’ve not run across not being able to finish a quest, I follow the path, loot everything, wrench everything and open doors if I can tell it’s a room not accessible by elsewhere on the path. Takes a bit longer to do quests that way but you miss nothing.

3 hours ago, Star69 said:

I don’t bother opening exterior doors and, yes, most pois don’t have secret rooms but there are a few. There’s a hidden drop in one of the tier 5 (forget which one, maybe shotgun factory?) that does have sleepers. It’s a smaller loot room with a couple of business men that don’t spawn until you drop out of the ceiling which was the only reason to mention hidden rooms as a potential spot for missing zombies. Also, I know this was true for A19 so I can’t say whether the level designers went back and changed things so that all zombies spawn if you you just follow the path they lay out for you. I’ve not run across not being able to finish a quest, I follow the path, loot everything, wrench everything and open doors if I can tell it’s a room not accessible by elsewhere on the path. Takes a bit longer to do quests that way but you miss nothing.

The trap room that people most often complained about not finding was I think in Dishong (if not, then definitely Higashi). I is exactly like you describe, but I remember various zombies being down in that room, not only bussiness men (so not sure whether we think of the same room). I didn't check it out in A20 yet, but the solution they implemented that some zombies don't count for clear anymore was (AFAIK) specifically for cases like this trap room.

6 hours ago, meganoth said:

You do know about the red and yellow dots on the compass right? At the end of the quest, when only 1 zombie is left, you should see a yellow dot eventually showing his location if you just run through the building.

Two possible explanations:

1) You are really bad at searching or following paths and often miss the entrance to a basement or a dungeon below the house or to the attic.

2) There is something wrong with your game and the POI files are corrupted or the quest system is corrupted.

Yes I am aware about the red dots, none are on the compass whenever I cannot finish the quest.

I said in the original post I have gone in debug mode and flown through the ENTIRE POI, top to bottom, so it is not possible that there are zombies I am missing if I have flown through the walls and floors to look for the last zombie. I have tried the KILLALL command in the F1 Console aswell but it has not worked.

The latter explanation is the more likely one it seems, I am not sure if anyone else has had this issue but I will begin to noting down which POIs this occurs at.

Not to sound obnoxious but there seems to be nothing that I am doing to cause this issue, this is either a bug or something else wrong with my friends game.

Gonna try some things in a bit to remedy this issue.

12 hours ago, Dan724724 said:

Yes I am aware about the red dots, none are on the compass whenever I cannot finish the quest.

I said in the original post I have gone in debug mode and flown through the ENTIRE POI, top to bottom, so it is not possible that there are zombies I am missing if I have flown through the walls and floors to look for the last zombie. I have tried the KILLALL command in the F1 Console aswell but it has not worked.

killall may not work as zombies far from you will not even be spawned or despawned again. Not knowing you at all and not knowing the POI I also can't know if you have been thorough enough in your debug mode search. I know people impatient enough that they could even bungle such a job with a large POI sometimes.

So I'll take your word for it that you were thorough, but in the back of my mind I still keep a VERY small space open for the possibility someone I don't know did a mistake. 😁

The latter explanation is the more likely one it seems, I am not sure if anyone else has had this issue but I will begin to noting down which POIs this occurs at.

Not to sound obnoxious but there seems to be nothing that I am doing to cause this issue, this is either a bug or something else wrong with my friends game.

I'm sure that a bug or something else wrong is the most likely explanation. And from those two the latter, since you are the first to report such a problem in A20. What we often heard about here were problems for steam to really upgrade the game. Often people had to do a second verify to really have the game up to date. Or if they used mods in A19 remnants of those mods often stayed behind. And when people have not used the game launcher of the game to delete their configuration then problems happened as well (this resets your character to lvl1 and deletes savegames and worlds on your local machine, but if one of you hasn't done that for A20 yet, maybe consider doing it)

Gonna try some things in a bit to remedy this issue.

And if you get the problem again, please post the logfile

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)