The curious tale of the cursed Flying Dutchman motorcyle...

Morloc

I've been experiencing a bug with a message about an "unexpected stack overflow" or something like that. Game crashes, and when I get back in, my vehicle (motorcycle) is missing.

It doesn't show on the map. Now...what's slightly weird is that after playing for a good long while, the missing motorcycle sometimes reappears. Tonight however something extra weird happened....

I was driving through a boring stretch of tundra and all of a sudden my motorcycle accelerated to maybe 20x its normal speed...just for about 2 seconds. I was trying to see on the map just how far I'd moved, and I saw something zip past me. It was my missing motorcycle from a day or two ago! I thought it was tossed ahead of me, or maybe somehow glitch-locked to parallel my movement, but NO....it was driving autonomously. I play SP so...this was really bizarre. When I realized what was happening....I followed it. I could only match its speed on flat, clear ground, but occasionally it'd clip a rock or tree slowing it up some.

20220115233220_1.thumb.jpg.1abb1a9c52e6d4d89b0677c83db168d7.jpg

I gained on it and after a few minutes it got hung up on a bigger rock. I jumped off my own motorcycle, and hoped to be able to catch the phantom one.

20220115233425_1.thumb.jpg.493ee20e66723eedcece9de36989ed2a.jpg

Well...it didn't go as planned. The motorcycle more or less grabbed me. I wasn't exactly riding it; more like standing on it....but I could not get off.

20220115233254_1.thumb.jpg.d9e76ab4290471248f1bd743c0b1ecb8.jpg

I was taking me for a ride. I could steer....sort of....(hard to explain), but couldn't stop or dismount. I kept trying to circle back to the rock it'd been hung up on, and kept getting ragdoll cuts of me rolling on the ground when I hit stuff real good. Eventually...I died, and the evil motorcycle drove off.

20220115233827_1.thumb.jpg.996beb0955704f25b741412c6901e14e.jpg

The game wouldn't spawn me at my bed it was essentially locked up there. I restarted and was at the death scene again, but this time I was allowed to respawn....without the damn gear on my toolbelt. I have equipment dropping disabled because I've lost a couple backpacks with A20 still sorting itself out, so no clue why just my belt gear was gone. I did located two motorcycles on the map...but I'm a bit afraid to touch them 😨

*Note: No alcohol was involved with this event.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

Edited by Morloc (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

That's super crazy. It almost seems like something is wrong with how vehicles get attached to player entities. (I recently dug through the DLLs to see how vehicles are handled.) Like something about the crash created a game state where the vehicle thinks there is still an entity attached but there isn't. Not sure how that would survive a crash and restart of the game though. I've never tried to log out when inside of a vehicle but maybe I should to determine if the game actually saves your state as attached to a vehicle.

I posted an experience similar to this the other day:

On 1/29/2022 at 9:37 PM, Red Eagle LXIX said:

Well, that was interesting.  Game crashed while I was about 50m from my base on my bike riding home from a POI. 

Made a backup of the save before trying to load.  Restart and I'm about 75m away but no bike, no bike on compass. 

Ok, no problem, cheat myself a new bike, deposit my loot back at base.  Start riding to POI to finish getting loot.  about 300m from my base and 400m from the POI game bugs out, me and bike seem to teleport and rubber band all around.  Try to get off bike, see empty bike keep moving and even get hurt but cant move myself (can steer empty bike which I seem to be standing on).
Ok, restore backed up save from after crash, rinse and repeat, same thing, same spot. 

Try it again, but this time I do NOT ride the new bike, I walk.  At the 300ish meter point that kept bugging out, I am suddenly teleported onto my missing bike.  After that the chunk no longer had any issue for me.  I got my bike back (threw away the brand new one) and all seems fine since.

EDIT: I should note the crash was due to my old PC being a bit unstable.  They get cranky after 11+ years overclocked and now running an out of spec amount of RAM.

5 minutes ago, Sithdarth said:

That's super crazy. It almost seems like something is wrong with how vehicles get attached to player entities. (I recently dug through the DLLs to see how vehicles are handled.) Like something about the crash created a game state where the vehicle thinks there is still an entity attached but there isn't. Not sure how that would survive a crash and restart of the game though. I've never tried to log out when inside of a vehicle but maybe I should to determine if the game actually saves your state as attached to a vehicle.

More how the vehicle gets re-attached  to the player and vice-versa when you enter the chunk where the game thinks it was lost is what I am thinking.