Iron crossbow lvl 2 does more damage than level 3

Babuchas

Hi! I do not know if this is intended, or a bug, but just in case. 

I got an iron crossbow lvl 2 as a reward from a trader, and later i got a lvl 3 also as a reward. Neither of them have any mods installed, and i am using the same ammunition (iron bolts for both). 

The problem is that the lvl 2 crossbow shows 73.1 damage in the item description, while the lvl 3 does 65.9... To me it does not make sense that a higher level does less damage, but maybe there is a reason, i do not know. I report it in case is a bug, if its not please someone explain it to me, i am new to the game and perhaps i am missing something, thank you!

🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

That is going to be normal

<passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="perc_add" value="-.15,.15" tags="perkArchery"/> <!-- random EntityDmg -->
        <passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="perc_add" value=".1,.5" tier="2,6" tags="perkArchery"/> <!-- tier bonus -->

The first one is a random modifier for all iron crossbows (except ones from CM as they are average damage always) - ranging from -0.15 to 0.15 base damage modifier.

The second one is modifier based on Quality level (0.2 bonus for Q2, 0.3 Bonus for Q3).

So a Q2 crossbow can be anywhere between 0.05 (-0.15+0.2) to 0.35 (0.15+0.2) entity damage over base while a Q3 can be anywhere 0.15 to 0.45 entity damage over base.  Numbers were off a bit, it looks like the random entity is applied first and then the quality is added, so it is not straight addition of multiplication modifiers.  If you apply -0.14 to base iron bolt then 0.3 for Q3, you get 65.9.

See how the ranges overlap each other a bit?

So based on your numbers, it looks like your Q2 has a 24% increase to entity damage while the Q3 only has a 12% increase.  Based on that, your Q3 crossbow rolled very low on random damage.

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

I see, thank you! I did not know the damage was variable, i thought all same quality would be the same damage, silly me 😅

I guess i will have to pay attention to the damage, not only the quality, when comparing items. 

Thank you for the help 😀

18 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Pretty much every stat on weapons, tools, and armor is a variable. The reason for increasing tier is higher durability (though that is still a little random as well), and more mod slots.

Except for T0 equipment.  Those equipment don't have any variability in stats when comparing same quality equipment (so a Q2 stone axe you find today will have the same stats as a Q2 stone axe you find tomorrow).  So for those equipment, higher Quality equipment is always a plus in terms of performance.

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Except for T0 equipment.  Those equipment don't have any variability in stats when comparing same quality equipment (so a Q2 stone axe you find today will have the same stats as a Q2 stone axe you find tomorrow).  So for those equipment, higher Quality equipment is always a plus in terms of performance.

Good to know, thank you! I think i was super lucky with that lvl 2 crossbow, i have found 2 compound crossbows and they do less damage than my iron lvl 2 😄

Edited by Babuchas (see edit history)