Disappearing Turrets A20 (b238)

overgoat

I've had a repeated problem where my turrets disappear and seem to be lost forever.  I'm familiar with the old bug where they 'drop' and you can find them by digging down or logging in and out and this is different.  I've seen this on two separate maps/installs and has impacted multiple players on our server.  So far we've lost about a half dozen robotic turrets and 3 robotic sledges over the last 20 game days.  This has been super frustrating after gathering components to craft the turrets and filling them full of mobs only to find them gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Related but maybe different issue for me.  My turrets are mid horde night falling through player made structures into the soil.  Can dig down to retrieve them but highly annoying and largely makes them somewhat useless to have.  They will fire initially but then fall through what seems like arbitrarily.

Need to do a bit more testing to see if it is all turrets, specific block types etc but really not sure why this is occurring nor that familiar with it from previous alphas.

Updated to 20.1 and tried it out.  Turrets lasted longer above ground but eventually by the end of a horde night they had still fallen through the ground.  Interestingly enough they do seem to end up falling through my player made blocks and residing where the soil still remains.  For me that was essentially in the ground inside of a steel block.

Sure, will try this again this evening (I'm in PST) in a freshly generated world/save.  My thoughts were to build a similar base and spawn in some zombies to see when exactly the turrets fall through or if they do in a fresh world.  May try a few different base configurations as well depending on results.

I don’t know the lingo or what it exactly means but has something to do with ray tracing and colliders and some other stuff. Fatal is the programmer assigned to fix this. You can click on his profile and read his recent posts explaining the error and what he has been doing to try and fix it. If you understand any programming talk I’m sure you’ll understand what he’s saying but it’s all gobblygook to me. Or go to News and Announcements->Developer A20 thread to read the discussions. He posts quite a bit about his work on the game. It’s fascinating, the parts that I understand anyway.

Edited by Star69 (see edit history)

Thanks that's useful will take a read.  I did try out a fresh A20.1 save in the same generated world and created a similar base.  Bumped up the day and ran a day 504 horde night with two robotic turrets doing basically all the work, had no issues.  Tried also spawning cops thinking it might be related to splash damage but again no dice to force them to fall.  So might just be positioning.

I think in the interim because A20.1 is better but not fully fixed may just have a few turrets in reserve in case some fall through as I can find them.