Harvesting animals

Krougal

So I alternate between power attacks & regular to harvest in as few swings as possible.

For most things this works just fine. For animal corpses however it's like it stops registering the hits.

So I will start with a power attack or two and then probably the 3rd swing a normal would suffice, but I can swing a few times and it acts like there's nothing there. Generally moving and stabbing again or going back to power attack will work. It's annoying AF, and wastes time, stamina and my knife durability.

This is not new to A20 either.

So it's just a visual bug 😛

Edited by Krougal (see edit history)

It is a bug, It IS only a visual bug.

normal hits on a corpse AFTER a power attack do not move the visual indicator of the hp of the corpse, but they DO actually apply the specified damage and return the appropriate materials.

If my knife does 20 damage on a hit and 80 on a power attack, and I'm attacking a dead vulture (175 corpse hp), and I open with a power attack, it'll be at 95/175.  My next normal attack will APPEAR to do nothing, but it still applies the 20 damage.  The corpse will still say 95/175, but will really be at 75 hp....another power attack will finish it off (which it shouldn't if its actually at 95/175).

You could also follow that first power attack with 5 normal swings (5 hits at 20 hp each to get past the 95 hp remaining)...at which point the vulture will show 95 hp remaining for each hit....until it disappears after hit #5.  To your eyes, unfamiliar with how the bug works, you'll have hit it 4 times with NO effect, before the 5th hit finally ACTUALLY hits and finishes the job, but that's not what is really happening....its just not moving the bar.

Notes:

- the bug only affects normal attacks delivered AFTER a power attack has struck the corpse at any time.  Once you have hit the corpse with a power attack, normal attacks will VISUALLY not register on the hp bar.

How to check:

- go to creative, spawn in several of the same animal

- kill animals (no extra hits, you want the corpses at full hp) - suggest using boars as they're easy enough to sneak headshot with a bow, and easy to harvest without hitting head or limbs.  they also have enough hp to really check carefully.

- attack a corpse with ONLY a normal attack (don't hit the head or limbs...they deal different amounts of damage and apply NO damage on the hit where the limb explodes.) check how much damage it deals.  Note that the hp bar goes down just fine if you only ever use normal attacks. Check how much resources you get....throw the resources out afterwards or put them in a chest for reference

- do the same with power attacks (don't hit the head or limbs...they deal different amounts of damage and apply NO damage on the hit where the limb explodes.).  check how much damage you deal.  Check how much resources you get...throw the resources out afterwards or put them in a separate chest for reference.

-  now mix up the attacks on a new corpse...again, avoid the head or limbs.  The hp bar won't track the damage on normal attacks if you've already used a power attack on the corpse, but the damage still counts and applies.  check the resources gained.

- repeat that last step a few times using different combinations of power/normal attacks.  check that the hp damage that each SHOULD do is consistent with how many hits it takes to harvest the corpse fully.  check the resources gained.

In each case, you should find that, as long as you're making sure the corpses start with the same amount of hp, and you're not hitting heads and limbs, the damage the hits SHOULD be doing is actually applied, just not visually shown on the hp bar, and that you're getting the same amount of resources with each corpse.

(as a side note, hitting the head is fine normally, it just screws up testing....a head shot on a corpse deals extra damage like a headshot on a living creature, so it'll throw your numbers off.  Furthermore, the head can explode....the hit that makes a head explode deals NO damage at all to the corpse....so its like a risk vs. reward.  You can hit the head in normal gameplay to maybe harvest faster, but you risk the head exploding and the hit doing nothing at all)

Edited by Limdood (see edit history)

Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks for that detailed explanation @Limdood

Easy enough to see by watching the bottom right corner.

I didn't realize there was such a disparity between the normal and power attacks with knives.

Also didn't realize that headshots on corpses do more damage, but then makes sense considering other effects (like dismemberment) still work on corpses.

Edited by Krougal (see edit history)