Would it be possible to build "super" app for modding? Read and tell me what you think...Please be cool/kind if you don't agree..

Kilroy5150

I know it would require either a bunch of guys throwing in or just one guy doing a lot of moding but what about an app (windows or even Android/IOS) that allowed you to (checkbox) select mods you wanted installed on your game and you could select what version of 7 Days to Die you're running beforehand. It could be an "offline" app with a ton of small mods in it or one that downloads. 

Now something i've always wanted to see is one that's smart enough so, when you check one mod and run down the line to another, it would say "This will conflict" or "This is redundant because you have it selected in another mod".

But the BEST part about this mod is....it builds it's own file to download when done rather than having a ton of small, scattered mods. Also, it would be intelligent enough to notate (in the mod it makes) what is where and why it's there.

I know that's a lot but that kind of mod manager would be insanely cool and could, potentially, drop the number of "pointless" posts for people, who claim to have a problem, when they're just not really paying attention and i know moders get tired of that. lol

How hard would something like that be to code in? I know it would be a real B to keep up to date but man it would be insanely cool because a TON of mods are nothing more than 1, 2, or 3 lines of code (added in a text file) and it just seems like there's got to be a more efficient way to create an AIO/DIY mod out of pre-existing ones.

I was thinking the general structure of the program would be fairly simple up to a 0 or 1 situation and the rest is to implement the code in the right place, which would be a bit more difficult, structure wise. And modders could just, over time, add their code and selection in via some part of the software to upload to some central database.

I dunno, this is just me thinking out loud because i ran across something quite similar on some older games a few years back. It wouldn't be a launcher, it would be way more intuitive.

Thoughts?

20 minutes ago, Kilroy5150 said:

I know it would require either a bunch of guys throwing in or just one guy doing a lot of moding but what about an app (windows or even Android/IOS) that allowed you to (checkbox) select mods you wanted installed on your game and you could select what version of 7 Days to Die you're running beforehand. It could be an "offline" app with a ton of small mods in it or one that downloads. 

Now something i've always wanted to see is one that's smart enough so, when you check one mod and run down the line to another, it would say "This will conflict" or "This is redundant because you have it selected in another mod".

But the BEST part about this mod is....it builds it's own file to download when done rather than having a ton of small, scattered mods. Also, it would be intelligent enough to notate (in the mod it makes) what is where and why it's there.

I know that's a lot but that kind of mod manager would be insanely cool and could, potentially, drop the number of "pointless" posts for people, who claim to have a problem, when they're just not really paying attention and i know moders get tired of that. lol

How hard would something like that be to code in? I know it would be a real B to keep up to date but man it would be insanely cool because a TON of mods are nothing more than 1, 2, or 3 lines of code (added in a text file) and it just seems like there's got to be a more efficient way to create an AIO/DIY mod out of pre-existing ones.

I was thinking the general structure of the program would be fairly simple up to a 0 or 1 situation and the rest is to implement the code in the right place, which would be a bit more difficult, structure wise. And modders could just, over time, add their code and selection in via some part of the software to upload to some central database.

I dunno, this is just me thinking out loud because i ran across something quite similar on some older games a few years back. It wouldn't be a launcher, it would be way more intuitive.

Thoughts?

So like the mod launcher lol that is a great idea  💡  ..

Maybe try here mate 🙂 :

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/25678-the-7d2d-mod-launcher-a-mod-launcher-for-7-days-to-die/

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

In the realm of modlets that include what would have been simple before A20 is potentially complicated by Parts and Tiles.

Before A20, a modlet would include POI files that stood alone. The only complication would be if you included two modlets that had same same POI in both. If the files had the same name in both POIs, then the game probably would just use the first one it found (but I never tested that). If the files had different names (quite possible with the CompoPack since it renames files) then you could get double placement because the RWG would think they were different POIs.

With A20 using Parts and Tiles, you have what is described above AND more:

Parts - POIs can refer to Parts. Those Parts could be external to the modlet that includes the POI. It will be common for modlets to have POIs that refer to vanilla parts. It will be possible for modlet A's POI to refer to modlet B's parts. This will create a dependency.

Tiles (1) - Tiles can refer to Parts, as just described. Tiles can also reserve a POI Marker for POIs with a specific Tag. So, if modlet A features a custom Tile with a specific tag, modlet B can have a POI with a matching tag. This will create a dependency.

Tiles (2) - Tiles can define custom (non-standard) POI Marker sizes. For instance, Modlet A could make a Tile with a 130x130 POI Marker. Then, Modlet B could make a 130x130 sized POI, counting on the Tile from the other modlet. This will create a dependency.

Could you have mutual (circular) dependencies? I assume so.