Forged steel recipe

Whiteshark68

just wondering if it was listed anywhere about the increased costs of making forged steel

and with advanced engineering maxed it costs the same as it used to

the recipe in the recipes.xml file is still the same as alpha 19 but now costs 31 iron and 15 clay

<recipe name="resourceForgedSteel" count="1" material_based="true" craft_area="forge" tags="perkAdvancedEngineering" craft_tool="toolForgeCrucible">
    <ingredient name="unit_iron" count="20"/>
    <ingredient name="unit_clay" count="10"/>

Because the price was always the same and is unchanged between A19 and A20. In A19, everyone had an invisible (de)buff that increased crafting costs, and picking related INT perks reduced the severity of that (de)buff. In A20, it went into the recipes instead: everyone craft for that base price, those who picked adv. eng. will craft for less.

the trouble is that i went and tested it in alpha 19 the starting cost was 20 iron and 10 clay now the starting cost is 31 iron and 15 clay in alpha 20 and comes down to 20 iron and 10 clay at max advanced engineering there is no reduction in crafting costs at all for the first 3 points.

also i read the change logs and i couldn't find any reference to the crafting changes

• 1 month later...

Whiteshark68, I was just about to ask the same thing.  In A20 b286 (or whatever it was before A20.1) I was crafting forged steel for 20 iron and 10 clay, which I thought was the default cost all the way back into A19, A18, etc.  I have also maxed my Engineering at level 5 but cost was the same (it didn't apply any discount).

According to the Engineering skill you're supposed to get:

• Engineering lvl 3 - 10% of all items crafted at forge, and 15% off materials for forged steel and electrical devices
  • Engineering lvl 4 - 15% of all items crafted at forge, and 25% off materials for forged steel and electrical devices
  • Engineering lvl 5 - 20% of all items crafted at forge, and 35% off materials for forged steel and electrical devices

After reading the release notes, I also did not see any indication of a fix for the crafting deductions, since they were not working.

Forged steel in 20.1 stable now shows up as 31 iron and 15 clay as it base cost for a player with no Engineering skill.

When I visit the forge now in A20.1, I see forged steel costs me 20 iron and 10 clay, which technically is correct for the new base cost (31+15) when applying the 35% discount.

But the million dollar question is: did the Fun Pimps "fix" the discount calculation problem by accidentally increasing the cost of iron and steel or was that their intention.  Seems strange to increase the forging costs of those items after so many releases where they were the same cost.

On 12/16/2021 at 2:16 PM, Whiteshark68 said:

just wondering if it was listed anywhere about the increased costs of making forged steel

and with advanced engineering maxed it costs the same as it used to

the recipe in the recipes.xml file is still the same as alpha 19 but now costs 31 iron and 15 clay

<recipe name="resourceForgedSteel" count="1" material_based="true" craft_area="forge" tags="perkAdvancedEngineering" craft_tool="toolForgeCrucible">
    <ingredient name="unit_iron" count="20"/>
    <ingredient name="unit_clay" count="10"/>

The next line is doing the perk adjustment you see:

<passive_effect name="CraftingIngredientCount" level="0,1,2,3,4" operation="perc_add" value=".56,.56,.56,.34,.15" tags="unit_clay,unit_iron"/>

This makes it initially more expensive as it adds a percentage to the crafting cost depending on perk level.

If you imagine a comma after "resources" the following fix could be the one to change steel costs. But it happens that some changes don't turn up in the changelog because I would guess the one doing the patch forgot to list it or it was pruned by mistake when making the changelog

Inconsistent resources and scaling on military armor recipes  

You can compare to the costs of cobblestone and concrete.

I.e. calculate the production costs of them. Then calculate the increase in costs between cobblestone and concrete. Finally add that percentage to conrete cost and this should be somewhere near or less than the cost of steel.

And the same percentage of increase should be mirrored in the costs to buy them

If you get different results than the expected, then it is time for a bug report.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Meganoth,

That perc_add seems to make sense?  But, level 5 is missing from the configuration. If the cost of forged steel has a unit cost of 20 iron and then you use the multipliers from the perc_add which you show in your post

<passive_effect name="CraftingIngredientCount" level="0,1,2,3,4" operation="perc_add" value=".56,.56,.56,.34,.15" tags="unit_clay,unit_iron"/>

Then at levels 0, 1, 2 the cost is 1.56 x 20 = 31.2 or 31.  At level 3 it is 1.34 x 20 = 26.8 or 27, at level 4 you get 1.15 x 20 = 23 and at level 5 you get... WAIT, there is no level 5 calculation? so where is the missing 1.0 value?  Maybe the way their code works is that if there is no value in the array for the level of your skill, you get the default amount, which in this case is 20?  That would work, ha ha.  

Still strange that you don't start with a base higher cost and just deduct as you increase in level, but to each their own in how they code!

57 minutes ago, Spladow said:

Meganoth,

That perc_add seems to make sense?  But, level 5 is missing from the configuration. If the cost of forged steel has a unit cost of 20 iron and then you use the multipliers from the perc_add which you show in your post

Then at levels 0, 1, 2 the cost is 1.56 x 20 = 31.2 or 31.  At level 3 it is 1.34 x 20 = 26.8 or 27, at level 4 you get 1.15 x 20 = 23 and at level 5 you get... WAIT, there is no level 5 calculation? so where is the missing 1.0 value?  Maybe the way their code works is that if there is no value in the array for the level of your skill, you get the default amount, which in this case is 20?  That would work, ha ha.  

Still strange that you don't start with a base higher cost and just deduct as you increase in level, but to each their own in how they code!

That's because there is 0 increased costs at Perk Level 5.  So the game will see that there is no cost adjustment at Perk level 5.  Since there is no level 5 in the code above, nothing is added to the CraftingIngredientCount (so just the cost specified in the recipes file).  The line above would be exactly the same if they did the following:

<passive_effect name="CraftingIngredientCount" level="0,1,2,3,4,5" operation="perc_add" value=".56,.56,.56,.34,.15,0" tags="unit_clay,unit_iron"/>

If you wanted to, you could even mod it so it decreases it more at Perk 5

<passive_effect name="CraftingIngredientCount" level="0,1,2,3,4,5" operation="perc_add" value=".56,.56,.56,.34,.15,-0.15" tags="unit_clay,unit_iron"/>

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)