GPU FPS Question

Joseph Ion

Hi,

I am trying to tweak A20 for best play ability.  I have tried several overlay programs to show my FPS include Steams built in and MSI overlay.

My game always shows 60 fps, I am guessing due to my 60hz monitor.

My question: how are people displaying 500, 700 plus fps in there games? I am sure that they are not using a monitor with a 500hz refresh rate. I am guessing that they are displaying actual GPU frame rates. But, how?

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

I can assure you that no one plays this game with 500FPS. CS:GO yeah sure, but no one has those numbers on 7 days to die. Monitors go up to 360Hz these days. You monitor has nothing to do with your FPS. 60Hz just means you don´t profit from higher framerates than 60FPS as you Monitor can´t display them. You propably have V-Sync on or limited the framerate to 60 via your GPU software.

MSI Afterburner has an On Screen Display that you can see while in the game.  Click on the gear in the middle and you should get into the settings where you can activate it and set what exact info you want to see.

In most cases this game is very CPU hungry. Make sure to check your CPU usage also.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Misamor said:

The fps counter you have shows 60 fps because you're running at 60 fps. If you want more I suggest you either disable Vsync (Your GPU syncing it's framerate with your screen framerate basically) or getting a faster motinor.

I am running AMD RX580 with the Radeon Software. I have Wait for Vertical Refresh and Enhanced Sync off.

I understand that 7 is more resource demanding. In my case, the game doesn't seem to care if I use lowest or highest settings, my FPS are always 60.

Game wise it is ok, I would simply like to know the actual FPS so I can optimize my settings and have a better understanding of my system.

Thanks.

Tbh, I have a 3080 Ti, and a 5900x cpu, and am using 144Hz monitors, most games on ultra I max that out which is what I'd expect with a PC that cost the amount this did.  This game though sometimes gets really low terrible FPS and stutters as it drops down.  This guy did a video on it here: 

Something isn't right for the performance to be so similar between the hardware he tested, and I'd say the same as I upgraded from a GTX 1080, and my performance did not improve that much if at all.  For some reason the game is only using about 30% CPU and about 30% GPU, so there's plenty more head room in the hardware to get more performance.