Tracking people around the map with spears??

Haxor666

Well the QOL issue of the tracker on the spear is a bit more than simply loving it for the sake of convenience. It also constitutes a fix for the limitations of the game itself. Spears can land and fall into the mesh of the ground terrain so that it is completely invisible to the player. If the player can get close to where it is it will be automatically vacuumed up when pressing E but you have to know right where it went. The same is true for zombie bodies. The spear can sometimes completely enter a body and not be visible at all. Now on a 1 to 1 fight this isn't necessarily a problem. But when you have multiple enemies and you have three spears on your belt that you are throwing and then backing away to avoid another enemy it is easy to lose track of them and the tracking system becomes a must for regaining your spears.

I just don't see it as a plausible option given the current state of how terrain voxels fit together to make the player go without that feature for however long it takes for them to be able to make or find a tracker mod. Especially since such a mod would necessarily involve electronic parts and not be a primitive glue/wood/leather product.

Sure, I'm for complete removal of HUD displays as a challenging cinematic way to play the game. But, in for a penny in for a pound. If I'm playing vanilla and already accepting the HUD displays in the game I'm not going to say no to something that really helps spears be a viable weapon.

Finally, I'm sure that if such a technique became widely known its attempted use would increase. I still have doubts about the numbers for actual successful attempts there would be even if all PvPers started adopting the technique.

But I already mentioned it to the devs so it is up to them now how they want to proceed.

9 minutes ago, Roland said:

I just don't see it as a plausible option given the current state of how terrain voxels fit together to make the player go without that feature for however long it takes for them to be able to make or find a tracker mod. Especially since such a mod would necessarily involve electronic parts and not be a primitive glue/wood/leather product.

If you were to make the tracking feature a mod, you could also make it into several;

- a "Day one" version would be a flag on a string. With a limited range for the icon, or maybe make the flag part behave "against physics", trying to point out of the ground - no icon, just a little unnatural flag in the wild.

- a "forged iron" version... a sound maker? An old-school alarm clock, light version.. With an icon, with a limited duration and range. Maybe as a utility to alert zeds as well.

- an electronics age version with the current behaviour (maybe some means for the opponent to detect it would be required) Of course, this would have very little utility outside PvP

On 11/29/2021 at 11:22 AM, theFlu said:

If you were to make the tracking feature a mod, you could also make it into several;

- a "Day one" version would be a flag on a string. With a limited range for the icon, or maybe make the flag part behave "against physics", trying to point out of the ground - no icon, just a little unnatural flag in the wild.

- a "forged iron" version... a sound maker? An old-school alarm clock, light version.. With an icon, with a limited duration and range. Maybe as a utility to alert zeds as well.

- an electronics age version with the current behaviour (maybe some means for the opponent to detect it would be required) Of course, this would have very little utility outside PvP

Not a good idea to add yet another set of mods that are basically useless.

Any changes made for pvp need to not effect the pve aspect of the game at all, this is after all 99% a pve game. The toggle was only added as a why not?

Hopefully prime can add the spear just falling off, that would fit helping pvp while not affecting pve at all