Without DMT or debug mode, can entities be spawned on command?

I was curious if there were a way to spawn an entity “in game” without using the debug menu span commands or DMT modding.  As an example: could the player throw something and (hits the ground and breaks) and have an entity spawn in?  Like “a genie in a bottle” where you throw or break something and a zed is spawned?

It looks like it is possible, I would look at devrix's Sorcery mod, particularly at the familiars. Looks like he has some way of spawning them in via spell (item use). and it has it's own AI, though it's classified as a turret from what I can see. Loos like more or less what you need. Best of luck.

You can do it by placing a spawner block that will spawn the entity in question. I've see mods that was weak (like a trap) and functioned like a plant, growing an invisible spawner on top of it. Spawner spawns an entity, entity falls on the trap, trap goes poof, spawner block no longer has support and goes poof too. See Oak's Pet Animals, Guards and Farm Jeep mod to see this in action:

Basically, I'm thinking you could make it so when you destroy something, it actually uses the plant-like trap as the downgrade block, kicking off the spawn cycle.