Block damage not as advertised with shovels

Tordur77

Someone please explain this to me, or tell me it's a bug that's beeing worked on:

I have a steel shovel (level 5) dealing 101 block damage. I have three mods on it, ergonimic grip + grave digger + tempered blade, giving my shovel a total of 129 block damage.

Now I have Miner 69'er at 4/5 giving me a 120% block damage boost, for a total of 360 block damage (according to my character sheet).

However!!! When I shovel dirt, I only do 244 damage? Is the dirt block not a block? Is that not how block damage works? I even have the grave digger mod on the shovel for an extra 15% damage against said dirt block?

What am I missing here?

(Edit: Player block damage IS set to 100%)

I did some testing with a Lvl 5 steel shovel and discovered a few things. You should test yourself to see if I'm right or off my rocker. It happens.

Base block damage on shovel details (no mods or perks) 93
Character sheet damage 179
Actual damage to dirt 93
Power-attack damage to dirt 179

Damage rating with Ergonomic Grip mod

(10% boost from base steel shovel damage, which is 69, i.e. +7 pts damage - see items.xml)

Actual damage with Ergonomic Grip mod 100

Damage rating with Ergonomic Grip + Tempered Blade (another 7 pts generic mod boost plus

7 pts block damage boost from the mod's description - neither are compounded)

Actual damage with Ergonomic Grip + Tempered Blade 114
Damage rating with Erg Grip + Tempered + Gravedigger (another 7 pts generic mod boost) 121
Actual damage with all three mods (15% bonus over listed damage, i.e. Gravedigger boost is compounded) 139

So to sum up:

• Character sheet damage is power-attack damage
  • Bonuses from mods (10% each) are based on the base damage in items.xml, not the specific quality of shovel you have
  • Bonuses from mods do not compound - it's just another 10% of the base damage
  • Special bonuses i.e. the Gravedigger bonus vs. dirt do compound

4 hours ago, Boidster said:

I did some testing with a Lvl 5 steel shovel and discovered a few things. You should test yourself to see if I'm right or off my rocker. It happens.

Base block damage on shovel details (no mods or perks) 93
Character sheet damage 179
Actual damage to dirt 93
Power-attack damage to dirt 179

Damage rating with Ergonomic Grip mod

(10% boost from base steel shovel damage, which is 69, i.e. +7 pts damage - see items.xml)

Actual damage with Ergonomic Grip mod 100
Damage rating with Ergonomic Grip + Tempered Blade (another 10% or 7 pts boost - not compounded) 114
Actual damage with Ergonomic Grip + Tempered Blade 114
Damage rating with Erg Grip + Tempered + Gravedigger (another 7 pts boost) 121
Actual damage with all three mods (15% bonus over listed damage, i.e. Gravedigger boost is compounded) 139

So to sum up:

• Character sheet damage is power-attack damage
  • Bonuses from mods (10% each) are based on the base damage in items.xml, not the specific quality of shovel you have
  • Bonuses from mods do not compound - it's just another 10% of the base damage
  • Special bonuses i.e. the Gravedigger bonus vs. dirt do compound

Why the jump from 100 to 114? Shouldn't that be only 7 more?

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

Why the jump from 100 to 114? Shouldn't that be only 7 more?

Last time I checked, 7+7 = 14? (two mods, +7 each)

Then the character sheet should have it's text re-written to "Power Attack to block's damage" and not just "Block Damage", as this is very misleading, and it actually does say block damage, so one would expect to do that amount to block's? yes?

6 hours ago, Tordur77 said:

Last time I checked, 7+7 = 14? (two mods, +7 each)

Wrong answer. The 100 I mentioned in the table was already with 1 mod, the 114 was with 2 mods.

6 hours ago, Tordur77 said:

Then the character sheet should have it's text re-written to "Power Attack to block's damage" and not just "Block Damage", as this is very misleading, and it actually does say block damage, so one would expect to do that amount to block's? yes?

Yes, I guess a bug report might be useful. Since normal block damage is the more useful number I would not change the text but the number.

54 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Wrong answer. The 100 I mentioned in the table was already with 1 mod, the 114 was with 2 mods.

Yes, I guess a bug report might be useful. Since normal block damage is the more useful number I would not change the text but the number.

Hehe, guess your'e right, too much blood in my caffeine system!

Bug report sent!

I WAS TOLD THERE WOULD BE NO MATH.

Lemme do a bit more testing. I didn't even notice the 100-114 jump didn't align, except to make the same mistake as Tordur that 7+7=14.

Edit (30 seconds later): DUH - the Tempered Blade mod adds 10% block damage which is ALSO based on the base damage of the shovel, so another 7 point boost. I have updated the table above.

Archived