Screen resolution scaling questions

Liesel Weppen

So i bought a new monitor going from 1920x1080 (FHD) to 3440x1440 (UWQHD), but currently still only having my good old GTX 1070, which of course is not nearly able to handle that resolution natively.

To make games run anyway i tried screen resolution scaling. First i tried Deep Rock Galactic and was really surpised how good it looked like with set to 75%. I didn't do screenshot comparisons but without that i couldn't even tell if it is upscaled or not. No idea how it exactly works, but it helpes massively to achieve stable 60fps.

Then i tried 7d2d and also set it to 75%... and 7d2d looks like sh*t. Everything is really blurry, just like an upscaled image to four times it's size in paint with plain simple bilinear scaling.

Note: I do not want to compare DRG to 7d2d, i know they are completely different games and also the graphics style of DRG probably is advantageous for upscaling.

So i asked myself two questions:

First off: 75% of what? Does it mean 75% of the amount of pixels, so 75% of ~5Mpixel (3440x1440) is 3,7Mpixel (like roughly 3000x1200). Or is it 75% of the width and height, so 2560x1080?

Second: How is upscaled? Is there any advanced algorithm used or is it really just bilinear/bicubic upscaled?

Another question: I also tried the adaptive scaling with target framerate set to 60fps. However i end up with 30fps. Is the adaptive scalings resolution limited in anyway, so that it may not reach 60fps, because resolution would go to low, or anything similar?

Do you use resolution scaling or do you use 1080p and let the monitor do the scaling?

From what i saw, letting the monitor do the scaling wouldn't look much worse.

It looks so bad, i can't even understand how anybody wants to play it like this. That's also the reason why i didn't want to upgrade my monitor without updating the graphics card. It just looks like sh*t. I prefer playing on a FHD monitor over playing on a UHD monitor if upscaling works just that bad.

Archived