Workbench Mod Idea

pipermac

Curious if this would be possible and  if so how hard would it be to implement?

Concept: 

Master Work Bench

The Master work bench  would be able to perform all function of the regular workbench along with the Chem station, the Cement Mixer and the Forge.
The Station itself would require all of the other stations as ingredient in order to craft + something  extra  so that it is not too easily obtained. Additionally the Workbench itself would have storage space and anything in the storage space  would be accessible by the bench for crafting ingredients. 

Thanks

18 hours ago, pipermac said:

the rest would just be xml?  I would like to try and attempt this..would you be able to guide me on which files would be involved for this?

blocks.xml (the workstation object)

items.xml (optional - if you want to make workstation add-ons [such as the beaker or anvil] you will make them here)

recipes.xml (to craft the workstation)

Localization.txt (to have a normal looking name and description for your workstation)

XUi/xui.xml (to create the customized interaction menu for the workstation)

Your workstation needs to use all of the craftingarea tags from the other buildings in order for the recipes to show up in it.

18 hours ago, pipermac said:

the rest would just be xml?  I would like to try and attempt this..would you be able to guide me on which files would be involved for this?

Here's the basic idea:

• Create a master workbench block in blocks.xml. You can look at the blocks named "workbench", "cementMixer", and "chemistryStation" for inspiration. (You could also just extend the workbench block and modify it slightly.)
  • In recipes.xml, find all the recipes that have the "craft_area" attribute that matches those block names.
  • Create new recipes that copy the old ones, except the "craft_area" value is your master workbench block name. (There are also workstation-related tags on those recipes, but I don't think you need to create a new tag for your master workbench.)
  • Add a new recipe for the master workbench, that includes a workbench, a cement mixer, and a chemistry station as ingredients. (Add more ingredients if you want.)

Without adding a Unity asset, you'd have to use one of the existing models, like the existing workbench model. But I think you can tint it differently to indicate to players that it's the advanced version.

EDIT: I didn't see the post from Avalon. It's certainly possible that he's right, and you can just add the tags from the other workstations, meaning you wouldn't have to make separate recipes. If so, I think you would add them to the "CraftingAreaRecipes" property - just copy the values from the other workstations and separate them by commas.

But I haven't tried it, so no guarantees.

I also don't know if you'd need to do anything in xui.xml - there's a property named "Modules" in the block XML, and I think you can just add whatever windows you want to that.

1 hour ago, pipermac said:

Thanks for the help.... Now to see if I can do it! 

I just did it :)

I'm attaching the modlet as a zip file. Feel free to use it, modify it, whatever, with or without credit.

Some issues I discovered:

• Apparently it's no longer possible to tint models (that don't already support it via dyes). Oh well. I used the vanilla workbench model but you don't have to.
  • It seems you can't have a workbench that uses fuel, or not, depending upon the item being crafted. My example uses no fuel (and can still craft chem station items).
  • I was totally wrong, you absolutely do need to modify xui.xml or else the "use" key doesn't bring up a window.
  • I haven't figured out exactly what determines the sound the workstation makes when it crafts stuff. It seems like it's dependent upon which tag the recipe requires. The chem station recipes make the chem station noise, and the cement mixer recipes make the cement mixer noise. But the workbench (and backpack) recipes don't make any sound when crafting, and I don't know why.

Good luck. Hopefully you can work out all these issues yourself and get something really nice going.

SuperWorkbench.zip

16 hours ago, khzmusik said:

I'm attaching the modlet as a zip file. Feel free to use it, modify it, whatever, with or without credit.

• Apparently it's no longer possible to tint models (that don't already support it via dyes). Oh well. I used the vanilla workbench model but you don't have to.
  • It seems you can't have a workbench that uses fuel, or not, depending upon the item being crafted. My example uses no fuel (and can still craft chem station items).
  • I was totally wrong, you absolutely do need to modify xui.xml or else the "use" key doesn't bring up a window.
  • I haven't figured out exactly what determines the sound the workstation makes when it crafts stuff. It seems like it's dependent upon which tag the recipe requires. The chem station recipes make the chem station noise, and the cement mixer recipes make the cement mixer noise. But the workbench (and backpack) recipes don't make any sound when crafting, and I don't know why.

Good luck. Hopefully you can work out all these issues yourself and get something really nice going.

SuperWorkbench.zip 2.62 kB · 0 downloads

Sweet!  thanks...   

19 hours ago, khzmusik said:

SuperWorkbench.zip 2.62 kB · 1 download

Was playing around and made a copy of a forge but with a different name.  It works except for the fact that the icon for it doesn't load. In crafting menu it just has the name, no icon and it shows up as invisible in inventory.  Any idea why the icon doesny show? It has same settings as a regular forge. Just a name change and entry in xui and recipes. 

The icons match the name exactly. Add

<property name="CustomIcon" value="forge"/>

to your new one to get the forge icon for it. Can also add

<property name="CustomIconTint" value="ff8080"/>

to tint it so you know its yours. Just use any hex color code for it.

Archived