Server Host suggestions? and questions.

myrkana

We want to run a server for 5 people. We also want to be able to use a map we've all ready generated if possible because we use nitrogen. 

Is it possible to transfer the character info and map info from a game hosted by one of the players over to a server hosted by a service?

What recommendations do you guys have for reliable and easy to use server hosts? They all seem to be around 15$ a month but theres tons of them, :l 

We dont run any mods, just base 7days.

It is possible. You would have to copy the map and savegames to the right path in the server side. 

Cant really comment on hosting, as I'm running my server on a spare PC so really have not looked into that side of things. With self-hosting main annoyance is port-forwarding. There is, suppesdly, some option to get the server detectable also on Steam server browser somehow, but I have not looked into that either, as I went with static ip and port forwarding. 

I've used a few different ones in the past

Nitrado for me had issues, when the world was backuped using their feature, it kept resetting to day 1, that was a few years ago might have been fixed

Pingperfect had good speeds but very limited resources and for what we paid for was far too much to keep it going for even 6 players on a 6144x6144 map, had a couple of mods but nothing huge

What happens with them is if you exceed ram “allowance”, they just stop server and send the server admin and email

We had 6 gigs of ram allowance, when I was watching the server console I noticed that, the game needs 5 to 6 just to run, and for every player an extra 1.5 gig each, and then possibly more for a bigger map

It might be different now not sure

What you should be looking for is the highest ram allowance, full ftp support, decent console options, a good C.P.U. preferably 8 core, and fasted internet bandwidth, and a provider that is a close to your players as possible to help ping

Don’t go buy the cheapest option as necessary upgrades to keep game running will soon start to pile up and in the end cost more

also, some servers are run on "virtual Machines", so when the provider says "the server is hosted on a blah blah ram machine with blah blah cpu speed etc", that means your "sharing" those specs with other player games

check and ask for full provider specs that you are allocated

Archived