Question about seeds

dashbarron

It seems the default server seed is asdf. So this means I'll always get the same map (i've never changed it and it seems my maps are always different?) How do we just...randomly generate the seed? What are the parameters to type in?

Also, how large of a server is reasonable to generate on a homegrown server with 8 cores and 32GB of RAM? We flushed out the entirety of our map relatively quickly at 4k. Is it reasonable to go right to 16,xxx size?

If you're generating maps of the same client version, seeds will have the same results. In the settings WorldGenSeed is for the generation of the world, and GameName will affect decoration.

Larger than 12k is not feasible due to sync issues, and the amount of RAM required for clients to run on it.

Arbitrary length (there may be a maximum length that is used of the string), so even 1 letter is as good as 20. What I mean by that is that "A1" is as different to "A2" than it is to "b98h98g8"

I think any printable character including spaces should work. Just try the input field in the client if in doubt, if it works there it should work in a server config as well.

Archived