Vehicle Modding using Dust2death's tutorial

JStanleyF

I've gone over dust2death's tutorial for probably 3 hours now and keep running into the same issue when trying to place a vehicle into the Alpha 19.178 world. I get no errors of any kind when loading the mod, only when placing it into the world. When I go to drop the vehicle into the world, right as I click to place it a scrolling red "NULL reference error" keeps scrolling until I kill the game. Sometimes I will see my vehicle pop into existence before immediately disappearing. I'm using the latest download of blender, along with the Unity version I saw him using in his video and the latest scripts for prefabbing. Any ideas? Thanks.

I have found that same problem if the references to origins don't match the models - the handlebar joint if I remember has changed. You need to compare the references in the vehicles.xml that refer to the individual joints to the named joint transforms in unity.

As an aside, these are arbitrary: you could put a transform called "10 inch gun" on the wardeck of your model and  set the xml to make it rotate.

The xml for the modlets "sittable furniture" and "server side vehicles" have some very interesting reference code. The latter builds vehicles by using buffs to attach existing models to the vehicles. I had a blast replacing the jeep tires with barrels and wild west wagon wheels.

Archived