Friend chat

zombiedude

I see all these amazing things being announced for A11, but what about a very simple and important lacking feature: friend chat. I would like to switch from "global" to "friends only" and chat there, instead of chating over steam which is extremely annoying. During daytime it's no problem because i use mic over skype, but at night I can't use it so I need to chat. Please add this already. PS: would also like to be able to send signals on the map to my friends, for example if you want to meet at a certain area, put a flag in the map that my friends can see too.

I'm the opposite; I dislike in game chat and consider skype and the like a form of cheating. You want to signal your friends? Build a fire. You want to leave them a flag? Build a rock formation.

It's just more realistic that way. Any 3rd party advantages to me, are cheating.

My opinion only, and I recognize I'm probably alone. :)

I'm the opposite; I dislike in game chat and consider skype and the like a form of cheating. You want to signal your friends? Build a fire. You want to leave them a flag? Build a rock formation.

It's just more realistic that way. Any 3rd party advantages to me, are cheating.

My opinion only, and I recognize I'm probably alone. :)

so how the ♥♥♥♥ are you supossed to talk to your friends

You're not. Although, I do like the chunk idea. The scenario you gave is an environment where you are playing with friends, and also playing NOT with friends. If you're looking to say something only to your friends, that means you don't want the other players to hear. It's a game mechanism often employed that I don't like, because it gives an unfair advantage via a technical means. I'm fairly certain that's close to the definition of a cheat.

But before you get all riled up, let me reiterate that it's only my opinion... call it a preference.

I can't think of a fair scenario where you would get to talk to some people and not others.

...unless the characters are in close proximity to each other.

I can't think of a fair scenario where you would get to talk to some people and not others.

me and my friends use the can on a string ear pieces, you should try them they, they work most of the time, on a cloudy day the reception isn't so good. so it might not work too well in the burnt forest. never tried it there

You're not. Although, I do like the chunk idea. The scenario you gave is an environment where you are playing with friends, and also playing NOT with friends. If you're looking to say something only to your friends, that means you don't want the other players to hear. It's a game mechanism often employed that I don't like, because it gives an unfair advantage via a technical means. I'm fairly certain that's close to the definition of a cheat.

But before you get all riled up, let me reiterate that it's only my opinion... call it a preference.

...unless the characters are in close proximity to each other.

how in hell is it cheating if everyone can do it

- - - Updated - - -

Look op, I didn't come on here to poop on your thread, and I apologize it seems that way... I had expected maybe one or two responses to my insane line of thought and 20+ in support of your post. I didn't intend to hijack your thread.

its ok

You have the option as a server host to make it so that anybody, can write private with players.

So from writing public or private, to writing only with friends, is not the longest jump. You can do so, in nearly every other game.

Btw. the definition of cheating in this case is easy: If its implemented in the game, by the developers and not via mods, its not cheating. :)

What you want instead Guppycur, is the option to either hide the chat, or even have a option in the server settings to disable it completely.

So in essence, implement both options as in:

1. be able to switch from global to friend and to private chat.

2. Be able to chat vocally, to nearby players.

3. Have a server option, where you can disable voice-chat/text chat, or for the hardcore both disabled.

Everyone can also download the cheat dll, doesn't make it not cheating.

If the game has it implemented, as a standard, then its not cheating, if you have 3rd party addons to a game, to enhance the game in a certain way, that can be called cheating. (Not necessarily) :)

Ex. Yeah, everyone can download cheat.dll, but not everybody knows about it. Therefore cheating. :)

Ex. 2 Everyone can/could glitch through the ground, and see underground bases, but since everyone can do it without anything extra, and most people do use it, it cant be called cheating :) Might be frowned apon, but not cheating ;)

If it's an option, it's a virtual fact it will be used. I find it sad that people consider the ability to speak live (skype), and the ability to chat in game only to friends, is a standard feature.

...imagine for a second a game where communication via these means doesn't exist... where you can't just tell someone you're going to alpha point, or that you just died because of a sniper in the north tower... and think about the extra challenge as a result. Think about the extra creativity and teamwork you would have to develop... that's my desire.

Heck, counterstrike knew it enough to disable friend chat while dead...

...imagine for a second a game where communication via these means doesn't exist... where you can't just tell someone you're going to alpha point, or that you just died because of a sniper in the north tower... and think about the extra challenge as a result. Think about the extra creativity and teamwork you would have to develop... that's my desire.

On one hand I would fully support this part. But chat is not necessarily only about a game. E.g. when I play with my friends I would say our talk is maybe 40% about what happens in the game and 60% about life, the universe and everything (or just 42). If it is proximity only we could also just drop playing together ;)

I do see valid points for both sides and lastly I suppose it's a matter of choice.

You have the option as a server host to make it so that anybody, can write private with players.

So from writing public or private, to writing only with friends, is not the longest jump. You can do so, in nearly every other game.

Btw. the definition of cheating in this case is easy: If its implemented in the game, by the developers and not via mods, its not cheating. :)

What you want instead Guppycur, is the option to either hide the chat, or even have a option in the server settings to disable it completely.

So in essence, implement both options as in:

3. Have a server option, where you can disable voice-chat/text chat, or for the hardcore both disabled.

If the game has it implemented, as a standard, then its not cheating, if you have 3rd party addons to a game, to enhance the game in a certain way, that can be called cheating. (Not necessarily) :)

Ex. Yeah, everyone can download cheat.dll, but not everybody knows about it. Therefore cheating. :)

Ex. 2 Everyone can/could glitch through the ground, and see underground bases, but since everyone can do it without anything extra, and most people do use it, it cant be called cheating :) Might be frowned apon, but not cheating ;)

There is global chat right now, they should add "friend only" chat option. It will always be available through steam by creating a chat group even tho is extremely annoying having to go to the steam GUI every time to check the chat, might as well add it in-game. You guys are overcomplicating things.

Personally I use skype with my brother when playing, mainly cause we don't really want to be typing when playing all that much and chat while we raid a building. I would use the ingame option if it was implemented yet.

As a gamer which does enjoy the threat of being ambushed and such, I wouldn't really want it to be super easy to pass messages amongst each other without a chance of me intercepting it. However, just global is also such a downside, therefore I would love it if chat (both voice as well as chat) could be distance based. For instance: Messages send through chat would be bold in global chat if the person was within hearing range - Pimps should do some testing to figure out the best distance - Voice chat would be louder/softer based on your distance to the person talking.

Just for feel alone, when people are talking while sitting around a campfire in game and you are approaching them you hear people talk in the distance, the closer you get the more you understand and if you speak they will also hear you and respond. It is just super cool overall also for people that don't use it for PvP it has great atmosphere and RP possibilities

You will always keep people who will use teamspeak, ventrillo, skype, etc. especially in pvp for advantages, but well that is fine by me. I would just like the game to focus on a more custom option than here have private messages and have it feel more organic. Want private... well you have steam/skype so, have the Pimps develop other additions we would use.

Oh, I knew I was on the losing side of that argument from the get go, because skype and the like will supercede anything in game chat will do, so if a person really wants to "cheat" (my definition) it's going to happen.

Really, if you think about it, skype renders the need for devs to waste time on in game chat pointless.

Oh, I knew I was on the losing side of that argument from the get go, because skype and the like will supercede anything in game chat will do, so if a person really wants to "cheat" (my definition) it's going to happen.

Really, if you think about it, skype renders the need for devs to waste time on in game chat pointless.

.... its still not the point of his topic

and 'cheating' its got nothing to do with it unless communicating out of game is cheating. Most are going to use voice chat with friends out of game(usually because ingame voice chat is usually junk and never offers the sort of features that out of game voice apps can offer).

It is when you can't use voice chat for whatever reason. And you still need/want to communicate with friends privately and not in public chat... do you really want to be effing tabbing out the game switching focus to other windows just to check on replies or actually reply or even use steam overlay.. no its a hassle that could be relatively easily fixed on the developer side by improving the client to offer an easier way chat ingame via text in chat channels ie only those on friendlist or just via pm without doing it the current ways because no decent gui exists to facility in making it less crap.

Really, if you think about it, if this game isn't just some 2bit small coop multiplayer game then implementing better multiplayer features to improve interaction with friends and communication actually helps alot.

ok then

well going back to your first reply.. I'm totally fine with these examples being implemented for multiplayer...

"You want to signal your friends? Build a fire. " -other than viewdistance, its just kinda lacking the smoke like airdrops have.

You want to leave them a flag? Build a rock formation." - probably not going to work with voxel cubes very well at this point :D

though other things like being able to leave signs with text on, being able to put markings on wall surfaces etc

all seem more technical to implement than just multiplayer ui stuff imo

I'm hoping smoke becomes a major part of the game, there are soooooo many cool things it could represent (is that another survivor? a friendly npc camp? bandits?) but I don't see it happening... especially given the super foggy environments the devs have posted pictures of. But yeh, leaving notes, or formations also adds the exciting benefit of a chance a non friendly would notice it...

It's not cheating to use Skype or Teamspeak or Ventrilo or Mumble or whatever to talk to your friends when you're playing a game, unless you're playing in some sort of special tournament or on some server where everyone agrees not to use it.

The reality is, we're playing a game. It's on the internet, and most people don't play in close physical proximity to their friends. We also like to talk to our friends.

Not communicating with someone via TeamSpeak or Ventrilo because your character wouldn't be able to hear theirs is roughly the equivalent of putting on camouflage and face paint to play Call of Duty; sure, you can do it, but God I hope for your sake it's some sort of special occasion.

It's not cheating to use Skype or Teamspeak or Ventrilo or Mumble or whatever to talk to your friends when you're playing a game, unless you're playing in some sort of special tournament or on some server where everyone agrees not to use it.

The reality is, we're playing a game. It's on the internet, and most people don't play in close physical proximity to their friends. We also like to talk to our friends.

Not communicating with someone via TeamSpeak or Ventrilo because your character wouldn't be able to hear theirs is roughly the equivalent of putting on camouflage and face paint to play Call of Duty; sure, you can do it, but God I hope for your sake it's some sort of special occasion.

Lets get back on topic.

3. Have a server option, where you can disable voice-chattext chat, or for the hardcore both disabled. This is a good suggestion.

4. Something simular to what Koolio posted earlier:

something like this would be less crap than the current chat system http://u3d.as/content/hahaha-brillia...s/mmo-chat/4TY

Lets get back on topic.

3. Have a server option, where you can disable voice-chattext chat, or for the hardcore both disabled. This is a good suggestion.

1. A private chat feature would be fine, but I don't know how high something like that would be on the priority list when you consider that you're talking about a very small minority of players who play multi-player but don't use voice chat.

2. I think local voice chat is actually a feature already, or a planned one.

3. I'm pretty sure a game can't legally block 3rd party VOIP regardless of the tactical advantage it provides.

Archived